Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pinup Thread

Elaina

One Too Many
3561798249_7355c50079.jpg

Lady Day said:
Ladies, with the growing interest in pin-up photography, and the number of vintage pin-up models who frequent this board, we are consolidating all the pin-up threads into one resource thread. This is a thread to share your experiences, what you use, costumes, make up, photographers etc, etc. With this comes some stipulations.

Please use discretion when posting photographs. The purpose of this thread is primarily informative, and photos illustrating aspects of vintage costuming, makeup, or photographic technique are welcome. However, we would encourage everyone to avoid posting photos simply for the sake of posting photos. Photos without obvious vintage content will be removed.

This will be a LADIES ONLY thread. Mens posts will be promptly removed.

Right now this on a trial basis, so we will see how it goes and is perceived.

hey!

I have a question for all you lovely ladies here. Anyone have the old pin up shorts that they want to post lots of pictures for? Hubby decided he wanted me to try to make them, and I can't find any good pictures of them to copy the pattern.

Yep, I'm fluffy here, but I won't wear them outside of the house!

Elaina

Last edited by a moderator:

Nashoba

One Too Many
Pinupgirl Clothing

Good morning ladies,
I was going through my office drawers and I found some coupon codes for
www.pinupgirlclothing.com
They have some really cute vintage / retro inspired clothes and they're prices are actually fairly reasonable. I bought some stuff from them last year and they sent me 10% off coupon codes that never expire. One of their marketing techniques is their "little secret" that return customers never pay full price again. If anyone sees something there that they like let me know, I'll be happy to give you the online coupon code!!!!
For those of you who live in the LA area (man do I miss southern california) they have a retail store in Pasadena on East Green Street. I'd be more than happy to mail you out one of the coupons!
Happy Shopping!!!
Nash

Nashoba

One Too Many
depends on what you buy really. To be honest the stuff I bought won't ever be seen in public. My husband picked out a couple of items while he was overseas last year and I don't think he had demure and modest in mind when he bought them. I will say this the stuff he got was well made and fits well, but it isn't suitable for public viewing.
I havn't bought anything else from them since, hence I still have the coupons. They have some nice stuff, but you kind of have to look for it.
They do err more on the side of trashy than classy, but some of their stuff is redeemable.
Nash

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My friend works there and wears a lot of their stuff. The cardigans look very nice, not really my style (shes more of a psychobilly/non-vintage rockabilly type gal), and not too bad quality. She got me some rose earrings for my birthday there too and cute as well.

It's not top of the line, but for cute affordable t-shirts and cardigans, why not?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
My friend bought a dress there once--the cherry dress and it looks quite adorable on her. I bought one of the dresses and it just was too low in front. I think I'm a bit too modest for some of the stuff.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I bought a cherry print bikini, which I really like. However, I had originally bought an adorable Chinese-inspired dress, but the fabric was a horrid stretch material that was not flattering, and so I promptly returned it.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I had originally bought an adorable Chinese-inspired dress, but the fabric was a horrid stretch material that was not flattering, and so I promptly returned it.

That's what I assumed all their stuff was like. I guess I looked at their jumpsuit and clubwear sections and snubbed the whole thing. I need to stop doing that.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Rebecca D said:
That's what I assumed all their stuff was like. I guess I looked at their jumpsuit and clubwear sections and snubbed the whole thing. I need to stop doing that.

Lol I've done that to sites too. I'll some some ridiculously bad things and skip over the rest. Then I'll pull up another search on something else and the site will come up with some really nice things.

Well in any case, if anyone wants the code just PM me.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
pin-up shoot

I've been asked to do a pin-up photo shoot. It just about floored me. Personally, I still think I'm too heavy for any kind of modeling (now that the plus-sized company I did some work for in the past says I'm too thin), but I trust her judgement. The photographer is an aspiring artist, although I think her work is fantastic, and this will be her first pin-up style shoot. What do I need to know going into this? It's a month away, so I'm planning on at least one new dress. When I get pics of all my vintage patterns, I'll ask for help. For now, can you ladies give me some kind of idea as to what photographs well, colors to look for or stay away from, full skirt vs wiggle, ect? Knowing her work, it probably won't be a straight forward pin-up shoot. Most of her work involves blood and monster-type make-up, vampires being a favorite subject. Thanks!

The Shirt

Practically Family
Lucky Girl! I have no idea what advice to give but I will be reading this thread closely. I am going to experiment with a friend as well with this type of photography soon. Right now I am the collecting props, finding inspiration shots and selecting a wardrobe.

You'll look great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
I've been asked to do a pin-up photo shoot. It just about floored me. Personally, I still think I'm too heavy for any kind of modeling (now that the plus-sized company I did some work for in the past says I'm too thin), but I trust her judgement. The photographer is an aspiring artist, although I think her work is fantastic, and this will be her first pin-up style shoot. What do I need to know going into this? It's a month away, so I'm planning on at least one new dress. When I get pics of all my vintage patterns, I'll ask for help. For now, can you ladies give me some kind of idea as to what photographs well, colors to look for or stay away from, full skirt vs wiggle, ect? Knowing her work, it probably won't be a straight forward pin-up shoot. Most of her work involves blood and monster-type make-up, vampires being a favorite subject. Thanks!

I have no clothing ideas, I just wanted to say pish-posh that you're to heavy for this shoot--you look fantastic and I'm sure the photos will be great.

She sounds like an interesting photographer--you will post some of the finished product, won't you?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
There are no specific clothing types to go with or stay away from. The most important aspect when picking your wardrobe is to pick items that flatter you and make you feel sexy!

Also, the key to good pinup photography is having props to make it interesting. Think of a theme and work with it.

epr25

Practically Family
What about looking at some books of the classic pin ups and taking it from there? Weather that be recreating one as they have it or just using the over all theme. Congrats! I am sure they will be wonderful pictures. Loosing weight is hard but this has got to be gratifying.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
epr25 said:
What about looking at some books of the classic pin ups and taking it from there? Weather that be recreating one as they have it or just using the over all theme. Congrats! I am sure they will be wonderful pictures. Loosing weight is hard but this has got to be gratifying.
Barnes an Nobel has a book called The great American Pinup in it's bargain book section. It;s a great resource with almost a thousand pictures from various artist. It might be good for inspiration. I think you'll be great. I have wanted to do a pin up shoot for a while now but havent found anyone to do it.

ShortClara

One Too Many
kamikat - there is no perfect size or anything like that - the perfect size is the one you feel happy with! You must have made your artist friend happy, or she wouldn't have asked you! You're fabulous darling :)

Yes, bring clothes you feel amazing in - and ones which will make your eyes pop if you're shooting in color. You feeling frisky will be the best costume you can have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot