Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Pleasing Phrase" Thread

dnjan

One Too Many
I have picked up a habit from my Mom. She is from Mexico. I don't know if that is a Mexican thing or just her habit, but she always says "the other day' to mean anything from yesterday to many years ago. I do think that Mexican culture may view time a little more loosely than we do here. Now i say it.
I frequently use the term "the other day", and have never thought it unusual.

I have even heard it pronounded "tyudder day".

dnjan

One Too Many
So do I. Anytime between yesterday and recent memory is "the other day".

Now if you say "just the other day", that implies something probably within the past couple of weeks.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
My father-in-law will say, when asked how he is feeling, "Fine as frog hair!"

When feeling festive I reply with "Finer than frog's hair," or "As rare as hen's teeth," or even "As rare as rattlesnake hips."

Sometimes when I wish fellow workers a happy weekend, I tell them "I want you to have such a great weekend that it's on the evening news."

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Nobody ever drowned in his own sweat,usually said when you're whining about having to work hard.
Don't squat with yer spurs on.
There's two theories about arguing with a woman,neither one works.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
I've been tryin' to bring back the phrase, "Glad rags," as in, "Put your glad rags on baby, we're doin' the town tonight."

There's another good one: "Doin' the town."

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Sometimes when I wish fellow workers a happy weekend, I tell them "I want you to have such a great weekend that it's on the evening news."

If they don't understand it you could update that one to "I want you to have such a great weekend that it's on COPs."

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Possibly not for use in polite company, but my father used to refer to certain politicians as being "Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob".

Also, after a particularly large meal he would often intone that he was "fuller than a maggot on a gutwagon". My mother would just sigh...

Kishtu

Practically Family
So-and-so wants the penny and the bun - ie wants jam on it. (Er, that may be just as bad....) Wants everything.

"More faces than the town hall clock" - someone who says one thing to your face and another behind your back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner