Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The RAF Battledress

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
When was the Battledress introduced in RAF during WWII, as the common uniform for officers and pilots?
In all pictures from Battle of Britain it looks like they were flying in Service Uniform (long 4 pocket jacket with belt) - but when did they change to the short - and more practical Battledressjacket?

Cobden

Practically Family
There were two distinct RAF battledress uniforms: Suits, Aircrew and War Service Dress (I believe it was called, not sure). The latter was issued to all ranks and was introduced in 1943, the former (which was just for aircrew) was, I believe, introduced in 1940 or 1941. The difference between the two is just the field dressing pocket on the trousers.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
RAF BD

In Johnnie Johnsons: "Wing Leader" there is a photo of him wearing BD jacket dated december 1941. There are several other photos with fellow pilots also in BD dated 1942.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Actually Spitfire there's no absolute date in answer to your question. Examples of Suits, Aircrew (early RAF BD) were around as early as 1938 (although almost certainly for field evaluation purposes). The accepted date for introduction for Suits, Aircrew is 1941 with the general issue War Service Dress coming on issue in 1943.

But the change didn't happen straight away that's why there's a big overlap between SD and BD.

HTH,

Tim.

Cobden

Practically Family
Also, with British gear, it is usually a good idea to add a year to the issue date for impressions, due to the fact that it usually took a year to become widespread. E.g. War Service Dress was introduced in '43, but is appropriate for 1944 onwards; 1942 Army battledress was only really issued in 43; 1944 webbing is really not really appropriate for WWII.

Just an odd rule that sort of exists with UK gear!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, guys.

There is also one picture from the Battle of Britain period, that has always kept me wondering what sort of jacket or flyingsuit a named pilot was wearing.
Since it clearly had epaulettes on shoulders I have always believed it to be a BD jacket. But on every copy I have seen of this picture, the jacket/flyingsuit is too dark to decide anything from.
I'll try to find it - and post it if possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Battledress???

Take a look at the pilot standing to the left.
Is he wearing a BD jacket or what?

Picture from Imp.War museum. And from summer 1940. Strange...[huh]
4aug2.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
ah that would be Brian Lane, the pilot in question.....it does look a bit like a BD but can't really tell from the photo.

Cobden

Practically Family
Could it be army battledress? I know some Naval officers used to try and get hold of it (and many dyed it navy blue), so could it be the same for the RAF...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I would say, that the BD looks a bit darker than the ordinary RAF colour.
And some of the pilots in RAF did come from the navy during Battle of Britain.
So maybe that's the answere...?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Flying overall?

Possibly, but far more likely to be a private purchase 'prestige' flying overall. There are many photographs of them being worn. Relics of the days when overalls were worn over the dress uniform in open cockpits, they sort of marked the 'old hands' from the raw 'recruits' and so were popular with 'veterans' in the BoB. That could well include Lane. Sometimes they were white, in emulation of the motor racing overalls of the day (cf Tim Birkin and the Bentley Boys) but often they were blue. You can't see the join between jacket and trousers (as with BD) or a belt (which overalls had) so you can't be sure, but that would be my guess. If you look at the dress trousers worn by the other officers, and compare the drape of Lane's trousers, it is clear that his are of a less substantial material. As BDs were made out of serge (heavier than the dress uniform) I suspect he is wearing a light cotton flying suit.

Alan

Cobden

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
I would say, that the BD looks a bit darker than the ordinary RAF colour.
And some of the pilots in RAF did come from the navy during Battle of Britain.
So maybe that's the answere...?

I was thinking it might be army brown as opposed to Navy blue; the earliest I've come across the RN dying BD is in 1941, copying the Canadians, who had such an item issued. Then again, it does look more like a dark blue; might well be a prestige suit, but the trousers look to me to be service dress just by comparing them to the other's trousers, especially the other chap in flying boots, and there most definately appears to be a buckle on the side of the blouse.

Maybe he just got a accomodating tailor to make one up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic