Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rarest Color I have, what's your's?

duggap

Banned
Probably not a rare color, but I am awaiting my blue smoke from Art Fawcett as we speak. It will be my rarest as I tend to be a bit conservative.[huh]

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
duggap said:
Probably not a rare color, but I am awaiting my blue smoke from Art Fawcett as we speak. It will be my rarest as I tend to be a bit conservative.[huh]

I'd say that's pretty rare, not too many of those around. Please post the pics when it comes in

fedoralover

Feraud

Bartender
A navy blue Stetson
DSC03310.jpg

Green Stetson Whippet
DSC01298.jpg

Knox Flying Cloud.
DSC00853.jpg

Edward

Bartender
No rare colours at all myself. Yet, anyhow. ;) I quite fancy something in a winey-plum colour to match a morning jacket i have - purely for costume purposes when I'm dressed as the Joker, you understand - perish the thought that otherwise I'd ever even dream of wearing something other than a top hat with morning dress! ;) lol

I'd love something along the lines of an Akubra Fed Deluxe in midnight blue - seems to me that that's a rare colour in a production hat, despite not being perhaps the most unusual shade in the abstract.

I did almost buy an ivory coloured homberg on eBay. Not sure if it was felt or wool - the listing claimed an RRP of GBP80.00, which would suggest fur, but they were selling them (new) at auction for in the region of GBP10.00.... wouldn't have thought anyone could afford to let a decent fur felt hat go that cheap? I decided against it even at that price because at that point funds were a little tight. If it was a fur felt, though, I could be tempted for those summer evenings in black tie when we are blessed with a little rain and a panama becomes inappropriate. Technical faux pas that it may be in this climate, when the weather turns warmer I have a classic cut, sb shawl collar dj in ivory that I pull on in preference to black. I should hope that the black tie garb would diffuse the unfortunate "gangsta" / "pimp" / "hip hop" associations a homberg has nowadays in some corners. I don't mind so much being called a gangster these days - now a gansta, that's a very different matter....

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
From the Corso Venezia store in Milan. AFAIK, no such color is available over here.

1028247569_6cc6c63875_o.jpg

I kinda wish the trolley cord were self colored.

It would be a nice touch, even if it was just the button. I do wish though that all hats came with them, they're such a practical idea. I honestly think that the perceived inconvenience of having a wide brimmed hat in windy winter weather is one thing that puts folks off wearing them.

JT..... interesting yellow shade. It's not a deliberate nod to Dick Tracey, by any chance?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
JT..... interesting yellow shade. It's not a deliberate nod to Dick Tracey, by any chance?

I did not intend it to be, but that's everybody's first reaction, including mine as soon as I had finished the project. The only other like it, that I've seen, is a "not for sale" item at Peters Bros. Hatters in Fort Worth. They deliberately made theirs to meet a Dick Tracy request. (There are of course, a few remaining yellow wool Dick Tracy hats, based on the movie. Fur, however, is rare, even in western hats.)

EricH

One of the Regulars
Here's a few of my favorites. Unfortunately color is an imperfect thing though I tried to adjust them as best I could. The Mossant is vintage 1916 to be precise 7/22/1916 as dated and as soft and furry as it looks. (Les amoureux français de chapeau, vous savez bon celui-ci est.) The subtle lavender of the Lee is also difficult to pick out. But there is always one color I lack......Eric

http://gallery.mac.com/erich222#100175&bgcolor=black&view=grid&sel=0

Edward

Bartender
Bud-n-Texas said:
Posting on behalf of an old friend

MVC-078F.jpg

Wow, what's that one made from - Homer fur? lol Striking colour, certainly. I like the shape of that.... homberg styles with a Fedora-type bash have really grown on me - no idea whether I'm off-beam (no photos to hand), but they always put me in mind of the way Michael Collins wore a homberg in the early 20s.

J.T.Marcus said:
I did not intend it to be, but that's everybody's first reaction, including mine as soon as I had finished the project. The only other like it, that I've seen, is a "not for sale" item at Peters Bros. Hatters in Fort Worth. They deliberately made theirs to meet a Dick Tracy request. (There are of course, a few remaining yellow wool Dick Tracy hats, based on the movie. Fur, however, is rare, even in western hats.)

Ah, I remember - you posted this one before didn't you - converted Western? My post above assumed it was purchased as a Fedora, the Dick tracy look being the most likely concept that being the case. It's a good looking hat - how do you find matching it with suits etc goes? Is it one of those colours that's so different from the norm it fits with anything, or do you have to be careful? I can see it with a navy suit and a shirt of roughly the same hue.... wonder how it would go with a khaki burberry?

Fletch said:
Button is green. It's covered in the ribbon grosgrain.

Ah! Gotcha. Looked black on my monitor.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I saw this peach 'Pesca' Borsalino in an antique shop in Crossville, TN for $15. It is such a peach of a hat that I could not walk off and leave it there, even though it is a 6 7/8ths and 2 sizes too small for me. An italian-english web translator site converted Pesca to peach, but I have seen grey 'Pesca" Borsalinos, so, I'm thinking the Pesca in gold on the sweatband is a reference to the felt finish, which is like a suede finish (peach fuzz?).

110207002.jpg

110207001.jpg

110207003.jpg

110207004.jpg

I also got Sphinx out of the 'sfinge' on the production tag, but have not gotten any translation of the TA/LUDORA. the 5-digit code indicates 1945, and the liner is very similar to my 1940s Avatar Borsalino. I am presently looking for a local friend with an itty-bitty head that will give this a good home. The only 'wear' is due to improper storage, a few shallow moth/silverfish bites - the sweatband looks like it just came right out of the box new, and not a smudge on the liner either. Shame about those insect bites, but I just had to 'rescue' this hat, it is such a PEACH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace