Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real Mc Coys Japan

Benj

One of the Regulars
If someone decides to import good wear in japan can I complain about his A2's being $2500?

Additionally, I feel like most people aren't at liberty to truly say "this maker is better than this maker, or isn't" (including myself.) I feel like there are certain preferences that we can all have but it isn't right to make sweeping generalizations.

Something that surprises me about RMC is that, like Big J has said, they import the horse from outside Japan... however, even with the declining power of the yen, the overall cost of the jacket hasn't gone up in years (talking about the J100)

devilish

A-List Customer
Good Wear's Shinki isn't exactly the same as RMCJ's. John has is speced differently, especially on the finish. He asks for no rollering so his is much less glass like. Way more grain and not as stiff.
I was in RMC London yesterday and saw all the leather jackets in person. They are very well crafted but stiff as cardboard off the hangar.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Toys McCoy's owner came to an anniversary party of the local dealer. I was invited but wasn't able to go but some of my friends did go.:( Also attending the party were MD of Samurai Jeans, MD of Cushman, MD of First Arrows, representatives of Studio D'Artisan, Orgueil and Daytona Bros magazine.

Owner of Toys McCoy painting the new season's A-2 jacket in his workshop.
View attachment 35650

Great photo. Cool to see the owner handpainting the jackets.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you looked at the prices of Aero leather on Rakuten vs the price of RM in Japan?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/eight-g/item/aeroleather_a-1/

Custom duties etc all play a part in this. All I can say is I paid 160,000 yen (around USD1300) for my Buco J-100 which was the before tax price in Japan and free shipping because I spent over 50,000yen.

None of the Eastman, Aero or BK offer VAT refund, so Japan is my choice and of course it is likely the reverse for you guys since you have to add the custom and VAT etc to RM if ordered from overseas.

There is a chinese old saying, "People who left their hometown are worthless whilst goods became more valuable when exported". Pardon my poor translation.

Personally, I do prefer Rainbow Country and the Few as they cost slightly less than RM and TM.

Last edited:
Buy Local and save!
This was a small part of my decision to buy a US made jacket- apart from the quality, ability to customize, and the Phenominal customer service ;)

Blackadder

Buy Local and save!
This was a small part of my decision to buy a US made jacket- apart from the quality, ability to customize, and the Phenominal customer service ;)

Exactly. That's basically what your Gov't is asking you to do.:cheers1:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Have you looked at the prices of Aero leather on Rakuten vs the price of RM in Japan?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/eight-g/item/aeroleather_a-1/

Custom duties etc all play a part in this. All I can say is I paid 160,000 yen (around USD1300) for my Buco J-100 which was the before tax price in Japan and free shipping because I spent over 50,000yen.

None of the Eastman, Aero or BK offer VAT refund, so Japan is my choice and of course it is likely the reverse for you guys since you have to add the custom and VAT etc to RM if ordered from overseas.

There is a chinese old saying, "People who left their hometown are worthless whilst goods became more valuable when exported". Pardon my poor translation.

Personally, I do prefer Rainbow Country and the Few as they cost slightly less than RM and TM.

Spot on.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Agreed blackadder!

I like RC and the Few too, but I definitely prefer RMC's interpretation of the simple moto jacket BUCO, Rainbow Country stuff is a little too out there for me.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think RMC products are good. Leather and attention to detail are second to none. Yes, they are expensive, but it seems that they have plenty of Japanese customers who don't mind the price, and RMC are satisfied.
My beef is that they don't have my size, and even if they did, they wouldn't give me an extra inch on the sleeves and the body (which is the kind of service I expect at that price point, but that's just me).
But I hope that anyone who's ever seen their leather will agree that the quality of material and construction are the best possible, and therefore, they are kind of entitled to charge whatever they want.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think RMC products are good. Leather and attention to detail are second to none. Yes, they are expensive, but it seems that they have plenty of Japanese customers who don't mind the price, and RMC are satisfied.
My beef is that they don't have my size, and even if they did, they wouldn't give me an extra inch on the sleeves and the body (which is the kind of service I expect at that price point, but that's just me).
But I hope that anyone who's ever seen their leather will agree that the quality of material and construction are the best possible, and therefore, they are kind of entitled to charge whatever they want.

Agreed. I definitely can see why at that price point, you would expect some customizations to be available. The only reason it doesn't bother me is that I don't need them. The Japanese in general do seem to be more in favor of doing production runs of products rather than having anything custom shop.

Being now a proud RMC jacket owner, I can see now more than ever why their craftsmanship is so lauded. This is the best constructed item of clothing I have ever touched, and I can clearly tell that even though it is quite clearly pre-owned!
I really need to get some pictures up.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I agree with dude, it just seems like most japanese companies aren't a "made-to-measure" thing. It's surely a negative but I wouldn't fault them for it, they remake the jackets every year, that's just the route they've chosen. I think the measurements are pretty good too, for instance I could probably never buy a leather jacket from my favorite brand (Flat Head) because the fits are too wonky.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
Agreed. I definitely can see why at that price point, you would expect some customizations to be available. The only reason it doesn't bother me is that I don't need them. The Japanese in general do seem to be more in favor of doing production runs of products rather than having anything custom shop.

Being now a proud RMC jacket owner, I can see now more than ever why their craftsmanship is so lauded. This is the best constructed item of clothing I have ever touched, and I can clearly tell that even though it is quite clearly pre-owned!
I really need to get some pictures up.

Indeed. I agree RMC's strong point is in the construction of their products - sometimes even gone too far. They also tend to rearrange and redesign the overall fitting, let alone sizing and grading, of military garments so that their stuff look cooler and slimmer than the originals, unlike Goodwear and ELC who are more prone to make an exact reproduction. For example RMC cuts off the lengthy torso of Navy chambray shirts and makes M-65 jacket's sleeves slimmer.

I know John Chapman wouldn't acknowledge such tweaking as a process of reproduction..

Deacon211

One Too Many
Indeed. I agree RMC's strong point is in the construction of their products - sometimes even gone too far. They also tend to rearrange and redesign the overall fitting, let alone sizing and grading, of military garments so that their stuff look cooler and slimmer than the originals, unlike Goodwear and ELC who are more prone to make an exact reproduction. For example RMC cuts off the lengthy torso of Navy chambray shirts and makes M-65 jacket's sleeves slimmer.

I know John Chapman wouldn't acknowledge such tweaking as a process of reproduction..

I don't know if that is wholly correct. John is making me a M-422A and he is making it pretty much exactly as I asked (shortening the sleeves, adding a little room in the chest, etc).

I don't think he prefers drastic changes in the design, but at the same time I don't think he is unwilling to address the fit somewhat in order to meet the customer's desires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yakima

One of the Regulars
Agreed. I definitely can see why at that price point, you would expect some customizations to be available.

Talking of price points, I saw a man's short knitted jacket by Hermes in a magazine today. It was just a touch under $20,000!! I wonder if they do alterations?.......

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I don't know if that is wholly correct. John is making me a M-422A and he is making it pretty much exactly as I asked (shortening the sleeves, adding a little room in the chest, etc).

I don't think he prefers drastic changes in the design, but at the same time I don't think he is unwilling to address the fit somewhat in order to meet the customer's desires.

Slimming down the sleeves is quite different from shortening them. It involves have a smaller arm hole i.e. both the cutting of the arm panels and the body panels will have to be adjusted accordingly. This will certainly affect the whole pattern of the jacket.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Slimming down the sleeves is quite different from shortening them. It involves have a smaller arm hole i.e. both the cutting of the arm panels and the body panels will have to be adjusted accordingly. This will certainly affect the whole pattern of the jacket.

Arguably, but he is as I said also adding room in the chest where it was tight so, by your argument, that is changing the pattern.

In fact, he requested a jacket which fit me well to adjust the pattern appropriately to match. So, I'd still say that he is not opposed to altering the pattern to make the jacket fit the owner vice the other way around.

Blackadder

Agreed blackadder!

I like RC and the Few too, but I definitely prefer RMC's interpretation of the simple moto jacket BUCO, Rainbow Country stuff is a little too out there for me.

Both the Few and Rainbow Country also reproduce the J-100.
http://the-rising.co.jp/?action=item_detail&id=1617
http://mirrorball.blog96.fc2.com/category8-8.html

The Few J-100 has a very wide collar. I tried it on and it doesn't work well unless you have a long neck.
http://blog-imgs-19-origin.fc2.com/g/o/r/gorillian/2012_04_20_14.jpg
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/speedway-shop/item/pm11-002/

The Few also makes a J-24 repro called the Wild One 50s.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?81494-The-Few-The-Wild-One-50s/page3

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy