Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy or Flat Head

Spiegel

New in Town
Gonna finally start looking at leather jackets and considering a Real McCoy J-24 or Flat Head Delraiser. Pretty much similar styling/leather just wanted to see if there was anything I should be aware of from either company on if I should choose one over the other? Or maybe even another brand I should consider. Thanks

or

Last edited:

Leigh H

Practically Family
Have a look here...

id personally go with RM.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'd go RMC, they are well made and the RMC Shinki is nice.
On the other hand i have never seen a FH that i liked or found impressive.

Leigh H

Practically Family
rGCkBOE.jpg
JWBsZRn.jpg

8FQo4T2.jpg

ukGDP4j.jpg

dwilson

A-List Customer
I preferred the lack of belt loops and epaulettes from the Delraiser so I went with it. I also disagree massively with the general opinion of this forum on TFH leather. I love it. Both the black and brown jackets I own. I like it more than my RMC leather though the linked jacket has a diff leather than what I own.

like bfd70 said it will be dimensions. TFH has notoriously wide shoulders which doesn’t work for everyone.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I've currently got a RMC J24, and have had a Flat Head 'Double Rider' - to echo what has already been said, I'd go with a RMC. The Flat Head I found it very uncomfortable, and the shoulders were ludicrously wide for the jacket size. I had a chance to compare the two side by side before I sold the Flat Head on, and the RMC just fitted better, looked cooler, and hung in a way that was somehow considerably more badass looking then the Flat Head. Edit - worth noting that there is a fair difference between the 2021 'new fit' version of the J24 and the original version which fits much slimmer than you might expect

Damon141

Practically Family
Since they are OTR the most important factor will be measurements.
Measurements x 2

Don’t just assume you can choose what looks the best. Leather is unforgiving And these jackets are designed for specific body measurements and in many cases are designed to fit a certain way that they did when the style was introduced if they are vintage reproductions from a certain period but that doesn’t mean you can’t necessarily wear them differently.

It might fit the chest but be off in every other area.

I made this mistake buying what fit my chest and found out the hard way the jacket was too long in the body & sleeves, too wide in the waist, huge baggy sleeves. I wish I hung out and read up before buying.

You will see pictures of members with ideal body types, lean & v shapes which look great in anything and then if you have a little extra in the midsection then certain styles might look better, everyone is the same so ideally try it then on or check the return policy.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wish I hung out and read up before buying.
You can read as much as you want, it still doesn't replace practical experience.
Therefore, my tip would be: buy a lot, buy cheap and you will see which details are important and which are less important. And it is fun. Surely a reason why I have so many 5* jackets LOL
Unfortunately the second hand market falls out completely because of my measurements. Otherwise I would certainly invest in one or the other vintage piece.

dannyk

One Too Many
You can read as much as you want, it still doesn't replace practical experience.
Therefore, my tip would be: buy a lot, buy cheap and you will see which details are important and which are less important. And it is fun. Surely a reason why I have so many 5* jackets LOL
Unfortunately the second hand market falls out completely because of my measurements. Otherwise I would certainly invest in one or the other vintage piece.
I echo this. Buy a lot. Find a style or two you really want. Then don’t mind buying cheap, used, vintage etc… buy the 200 dollar range jackets with different measurements and leathers. Find what fits and what looks good on you. That way when you have things that don’t fit, or don’t look good on you, you can resell them or trade them for basically what you paid. Buying new you will never recover close to what you paid if you go that route. Not all companies do returns or they are cost prohibitive with exchange rates and shipping costs. Find your sweet spot and then go for the big fish or the dream jacket.

Damon141

Practically Family
I’ll end up with a few five stars in styles that are not my favorite, surely unless your pockets are endlessly deep there is no need for every jacket to be over a thousand dollars.

A trucker is on my list and I know I’ll never justify it enough to grab a Y’2 like keeps popping up on my instagram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff