Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Recession and Layoffs Thread

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
jgilbert said:
This site was just a "front end" to make it a little easier to find them.

I can't help but feel that anything that makes such information easier for Joe and Jane Public to access and understand is a good use of tax dollars and a worthy effort.

Many seem to have forgotten it in recent years, but transparency in government is one of the primary tenets of democracy and one of the very concepts on which this country was founded.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
I can't help but feel that anything that makes such information easier for Joe and Jane Public to access and understand is a good use of tax dollars and a worthy effort.

Many seem to have forgotten it in recent years, but transparency in government is one of the primary tenets of democracy and one of the very concepts on which this country was founded.

:eusa_clap

Decodence

A-List Customer
Patrick Murtha said:
I don't think anyone with a real notion of economic history (which does not begin in 1980) would ever call anything "recession-proof." The concept makes no sense.
Necessities are HIGHLY recession resisitant. Nothing is ever proof, but the level of resistance can vary greatly ;)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Decodence said:
Necessities are HIGHLY recession resisitant. Nothing is ever proof, but the level of resistance can vary greatly ;)

Unless, of course, there isn't enough manpower, or money, to pay for or bring to market those necessities.

Decodence

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:
Unless, of course, there isn't enough manpower, or money, to pay for or bring to market those necessities.
If those conditions are present, we've got MUCH larger problems than a little old economic recession.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Decodence said:
If those conditions are present, we've got MUCH larger problems than a little old economic recession.

I live in Maine. People NEED heat. Most Mainers use oil heat. Many Mainers are on fixed incomes. Some Mainers can't afford heat because oil is so expensive. But it's a necessity, and we're not in a Depression...although we may be in Maine.

Decodence

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:
I live in Maine. People NEED heat. Most Mainers use oil heat. Many Mainers are on fixed incomes. Some Mainers can't afford heat because oil is so expensive. But it's a necessity, and we're not in a Depression...although we may be in Maine.
Every locale I have seen provides electricity/NG/heatingoil/LPG/etc assistance to low income people. The $ threasholds aren't even what I would consider very low either. Something like $40k for a family, which in most parts of the country still goes a distance.

Conversely, I paid $220 last month for NG to heat/cook in my 900sqf home... IN PHOENIX. Maybe I should get some assistance ;)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Decodence said:
Every locale I have seen provides electricity/NG/heatingoil/LPG/etc assistance to low income people. The $ threasholds aren't even what I would consider very low either. Something like $40k for a family, which in most parts of the country still goes a distance.

Conversely, I paid $220 last month for NG to heat/cook in my 900sqf home... IN PHOENIX. Maybe I should get some assistance ;)

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/02/17/maine_boosts_effort_on_home_heating_aid/

"While many get help from the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, the average benefit of $750 isn't enough to fill the standard oil tank at today's prices."

Foofoogal

Banned
I don't think anyone with a real notion of economic history (which does not begin in 1980) would ever call anything "recession-proof." The concept makes no sense.

Just what I saw and heard on the CBS National news. Don't shoot the messenger. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
So-called recession proof stocks are for companies that sell staples like toothpaste, pencils and boxes. You might put off a trip to the dentist, but you probably won't stop brushing your teeth.

Other stocks that seem to weather recessions well are vice stocks: tobacco, alcohol, etc. My father worked for a brewery in good times and bad for almost 20 years, made a good living and got good raises. As for tobacco, it's been my observation that no matter how little money smokers have, they always manage to find cigarette money.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
HEAP assistance

Somebody I work with (for N Y State OTDA) told me that in last year's Federal budget, they changed HEAP eligibility. It's based on your income. Whenever Social Security benefits were raised, the threshold for HEAP eligibility was raised correspondingly. This year the HEAP guidelines did NOT have that increase figured in, so that everyone who got a small increase in SSA benefits suddenly found themselves no longer eligible for HEAP. This is how our government is operating these days. Anyway, this is how it was explained to me.
Can anyone out there confirm this for me?

Decodence

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/02/17/maine_boosts_effort_on_home_heating_aid/

"While many get help from the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, the average benefit of $750 isn't enough to fill the standard oil tank at today's prices."
While true, I bet most getting assistance have cable television, cellular telephones, etc. I'd rather be warm than entertained. It is all about choices. Even the worst off in our society are better off than the low/middle class 5-6 decades prior.

I'll also add this. My grandfather of 94 has enough $ to heat his house with the windows wide open for the rest of his life. He CHOPS, STACKS, SEASONS his own wood to this day, and heats his house with it. He's a tough man, lived through the depression, 2 world wars, etc. Takes cold showers to save the cost of heating water. Most people should take a lesson from him, and STFU when they have insignificant problems like being a little uncomfortable. They should be glad they have a roof over their heads.

Gramps sure doesn't seem to mind.....

100_1982%20(Large).JPG

100_1984%20(Large).JPG

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Decodence said:
While true, I bet most getting assistance have cable television, cellular telephones, etc. I'd rather be warm than entertained. It is all about choices. Even the worst off in our society are better off than the low/middle class of a few decades prior.

Hmm, I don't know about this...I suggest reading Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Decodence said:
While true, I bet most getting assistance have cable television, cellular telephones, etc. I'd rather be warm than entertained. It is all about choices. Even the worst off in our society are better off than the low/middle class of a few decades prior.

The average cable bill around here is $60 a month. I have no idea what cellphones cost, never having had one, but I can't imagine it's a whole lot more. Foregoing such things, at today's prices, would maybe pay for sixty gallons of oil a month. The average Maine home burns a lot more than that -- unless, like me, they set the thermostat at 60 degrees and gets used to being cold.

Sometimes the attitude of class privilege that permeates discussions like this really makes me sigh.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
The average cable bill around here is $60 a month. I have no idea what cellphones cost, never having had one, but I can't imagine it's a whole lot more. Foregoing such things, at today's prices, would maybe pay for sixty gallons of oil a month. The average Maine home burns a lot more than that -- unless, like me, they set the thermostat at 60 degrees and gets used to being cold.

Sometimes the attitude of class privilege that permeates discussions like this really makes me sigh.

Same here, Lizzie. So frustrating to have so many good, honest hard-working people typecast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR