Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys! Yeah, the style I was going for did have a Spanish Vaquero look. It is currently called the Elko or the Californio. William Matthews was the original inspiration though. Some of the cowboys in his paintings were the reference.

Warm_Up_4c3638c54f7d0.jpg

Toby_s_Appaloosa_4c72b01f4b05c.jpg

YP_Shade_4c72b1fc514ae.jpg

But I wanted the addition of the navy blue ribbon & brim binding to class up the old cowboy hat, and it did.

Cheers!

Dan

This one particular was the one though.
07-137.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
San Antonio 3X Beaver

I recently acquired a Resistol San Antonio, but have failed to post a single picture here! :eusa_doh:

5063151765_202490e9a8.jpg

5063761446_354263ff1b.jpg

I wasn't too hep on the style the previous owner had [neither was he, but it had just been reblocked by Optimo] so I restyled it to fit my taste. Wanted something reminiscent of the day when men just whacked the hat into shape and went on. So, yes it's lopsided but I really like it that way.

Randy

P.S I'll get a couple of off the head detail shots today.

theinterchange

One Too Many
San Antonio

Here are the woefully delayed off head shots I promised.

5070170888_6cf1afe0e9_b.jpg

5069566543_a38c0e9bbc_b.jpg

5070173196_e2a706e985_b.jpg

Like I said, went for a sloppy devil-may-care look. I REALLY like this hat... could become my new favorite. In most lighting, it just looks like a darkish light grey, not silverbelly, but in sunlight it tends toward silverbelly.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
That is beautiful! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The ONLY major detractor is the fact that when the previous owner sent it to Optimo for a reblock/cleaning... they REPLACED the original liner. I saw photos of the original liner... it was next to spotless, no need whatsoever for them to have replaced it. Especially when they kept the original sweatband. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Neophyte said:
I feel a little bad for that Camp Draft coming your way...:eusa_clap

Don't, it will get equal on head time! I can't wait for that one.

Randy

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
Here are the woefully delayed off head shots I promised.

Like I said, went for a sloppy devil-may-care look. I REALLY like this hat... could become my new favorite. In most lighting, it just looks like a darkish light grey, not silverbelly, but in sunlight it tends toward silverbelly.

Randy
Awesome hat!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Here's a Kitten Finish I fished out of the bay a while ago
5 1/2 open crown 2 1/4" brim, 2" ribbon, wind cord, sewn lining and an original price tag of $12.50
I think this may have originally been a Pork Pie just based on the way it looks. Who knows.....
Any help in further identification would be greatly appreciated.

ResistolKittenFinishsideview3.jpg

ResistolKittenFinishtop2.jpg

ResistolKittenFinishnogginshot5.jpg

ResistolKittenFinishliner2.jpg

ResistolKittenFinishstocktag1.jpg

ResistolKittenFinishsweat2.jpg

ResistolKittenFinishsweat1.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Thanks Mr E.
I'm not usually a fan of this narrow a brim, one might say almost a stingy :), or of this wide a ribbon but I fell in love with this hat for some reason as soon as I saw it.
I seriously thinking of having Art reproduce it.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just purchased this Resistol cowboy hat and I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on the age/quality of this hat? I'm thinking about trying to make it similar to the hat used by Tom Baker as Dr. Who (except in black instead of brown).

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Mr E.
I'm not usually a fan of this narrow a brim, one might say almost a stingy :), or of this wide a ribbon but I fell in love with this hat for some reason as soon as I saw it.
I seriously thinking of having Art reproduce it.
Getting that ribbon stain right may take some doing, though.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Rough guess is 1970s-80s time frame. Not familiar with 5X; it is most likely really nice european hare (high-end) at a minimum, and may be a 50-50 blend with beaver at best. Still, mostly a guess.

I just purchased this Resistol cowboy hat and I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on the age/quality of this hat? I'm thinking about trying to make it similar to the hat used by Tom Baker as Dr. Who (except in black instead of brown).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy