Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Hi all,

First post and of course I'm looking for some advice on the approx. age of my Resistol. I'm 98.99% sure it's a 3x San Antonio. 2.5" brim and 4.5" crown. Scored it over the Thanksgiving weekend. From everything I have read on here, it's pre '68 due to the Byer-Rolnick reference. Unfortunately, there's no tag or anything else on the inside of the sweatband, just the stampings.

Any opinions? Thanks, y'all!

View attachment 286215 View attachment 286216 View attachment 286217 View attachment 286218 View attachment 286219

That's a nice one and I dig the color. I agree with Rick above on the dating.

Regarding tags behind the sweat...on Resistols there is often an oilskin-like membrane as part of the sweat, and it protects against moisture bleed. If you look under that, and maybe lift up the liner a bit, there may be a re-order tag present.

Great hat, and welcome to the Lounge.

Hi all,

First post and of course I'm looking for some advice on the approx. age of my Resistol. I'm 98.99% sure it's a 3x San Antonio. 2.5" brim and 4.5" crown. Scored it over the Thanksgiving weekend. From everything I have read on here, it's pre '68 due to the Byer-Rolnick reference. Unfortunately, there's no tag or anything else on the inside of the sweatband, just the stampings.

View attachment 286215 View attachment 286216 View attachment 286217 View attachment 286218 View attachment 286219
San Antonio's were 2-5/8 & 2-3/4. As an OR clone with a 2-1/2 I would guess it's a Waco or the rarer Herdsman. Both would measure 4-1/2" at the dip. Very clean & nice hat you have!

Gregg G

New in Town
San Antonio's were 2-5/8 & 2-3/4. As an OR clone with a 2-1/2 I would guess it's a Waco or the rarer Herdsman. Both would measure 4-1/2" at the dip. Very clean & nice hat you have!

Good think I gave that 1.01% margin of error - Thanks for clarifying! I'm going to look for the tag as Frunobulax suggested but absent that, any way to differentiate between the Waco and Herdsman?

Good think I gave that 1.01% margin of error - Thanks for clarifying! I'm going to look for the tag as Frunobulax suggested but absent that, any way to differentiate between the Waco and Herdsman?
Not that I would know of other than the Waco seems to be more popular than the Herdsman. The Waco is a very nice hat. Regardless, I would wear it with pride & care.

Even if you do find a tag, I'd be surprised if the model was on it. The best we'll be able to do is compare block numbers.

Gregg G

New in Town
Not that I would know of other than the Waco seems to be more popular than the Herdsman. The Waco is a very nice hat. Regardless, I would wear it with pride & care.
Without a doubt ... and now that I know it's a bit more rare and certainly older than I am, I should have a hat for the more "every day" wear or when I know I'll be getting dirty/sweaty. Time to start the slow hunt ... 7 3/8 if anyone has an OR style out there ...

Hi all,

Welcome to the lounge. Can't help you with the date, but that is one excellent hat you scored.

Without a doubt ... and now that I know it's a bit more rare and certainly older than I am, I should have a hat for the more "every day" wear or when I know I'll be getting dirty/sweaty. Time to start the slow hunt ... 7 3/8 if anyone has an OR style out there ...
You might recheck your measurement if you think it could be a San Antonio, since we're only talking 1/8". And who knows what the real tolerance on width is.

The Waco was also available with a 2-5/8" & 2-3/4" bound edge brim also, but those tend to be DoubleX grade.

I have never seen a Waco with that style of liner. I could be wrong, but both Wacos that I own have the Resistol Western liner tip.
I was thinking in terms of the bound edge brim. There are only a couple with the 2-1/2" brim I can think of; the Waco & Herdsman. There are a couple of low production models that we don't know much about like the Nebraskan for their 1967 Centennial, but I would assume it would be stamped. There are several at 2-3/4".

Are your Wacos 3X or DoubleX? I think Ed @Desert dog has a Waco; maybe he will weigh in.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking in terms of the bound edge brim. There are only a couple with the 2-1/2" brim I can think of; the Waco & Herdsman. There are a couple of low production models that we don't know much about like the Nebraskan for their 1967 Centennial, but I would assume it would be stamped. There are several at 2-3/4".

Are your Wacos 3X or DoubleX? I think Ed @Desert dog has a Waco; maybe he will weigh in.
They are both DoubleX.

They are both DoubleX.
You've got me rethinking some things. I have two DoubleX's 2-1/2 BE x 6 open with Westerner liners that I never thought of possibly being Wacos before. I only thought of them as being OR clones. On the second pictured someone had shortened the ribbon tails rather poorly so I have tucked them behind the ribbon.

IMG_7536.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

So maybe Greg's hat is a San Antonio especially if the brim width is 2-5/8?

Hapi

New in Town
Stagecoach. This thing is my outdoor work hat and it's seen some action. First time out, about four years ago, we both went for a dive in a lake. It's been waterlogged so many times that I think it actually likes water. I throw it on when I need to work outside in the pouring rain. It fans fires, waters the dog on hikes, kills bugs, swats the chickens, hot pad to grab the coffee off the fire. It's held up really well considering. It still fits perfect and even a slight touch on the loose side which is nice. I threw a new sweatband in it a while back since the original was torn up and rotten. The felt is pretty soft and flexible for a western. I love this hat.
View attachment 252536
It looks like a daily hat should look. I'll bet it really has some great stories to tell!! Very nice.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My chance to contribute for first time to this thread.
Tho' I've been on the hunt for a nice red lined western, this Regent turned up first.
Nice light hat that fits really well. I dig contrasting stitching on binding.
View attachment 298682
View attachment 298683
View attachment 298684

Nice catch! Resistol made some really nice dress hats that often get overlooked because of the brand's association with Western hats. I really like the proportions and I always love a pleated liner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24