Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The road to perdition

Big Joe

Familiar Face
perdition
n : (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil;
where sinners suffer eternal punishment: "Hurl'd
headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John
Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"

Anyone else a fan of this one?

Big Joe

Harry Lime

Suspended
Parts of the film are frame-by-frame true to the Graphic novel. The ending is different. A beautifully shot film. Now, for some "Road to Perdition" trivia:

1) Max Collins is a Dubuque, Iowa based writer. He based the character on an actual gangster from Rock Island, Illinois in the 20's-30's named John Looney (the Paul newman character.) They changed the name because they felt "Looney" felt contrived. The real Looney was a bootlegger, pim, extortionist who made money many ways. One way was he'd have photographers hang out on corners with a prostitute. When an unsuspecting farmer passed, the girl would grab and grope the farmer while the photog snapped his picture. Then Looney would threaten to post the photo on the front of a local newspaper he published unless the farmer emptied his pockets.

2) "Road" was shot on location in rural Illinois, Chicago, and the historic village of West Dundee, Illinois.

3) The actor that played Newman's rotten son Conner is the new James Bond.

4) The majority of the clothing in the film, including Hank's noteworthy overcoat, was made by Paul Chang Tailors in Chicago. Graham Thompson made many of the hats but not Hanks.

5) Anthony LaPaglia played Al Capone in the film but his scenes were cut.

6) Conrad Hall, celebrated DP, won an Oscar for the film posthumously. He died of cancer before the awards. His other films include "Cool Hand Luke."

7) Max Collins has written several sequels to "Road" as graphic novels.

8) Newman's house in the film is in Evanston, Illinois. It belonged to a former VP who's name escapes me.

Harry Lime

Mycroft

One Too Many
Harry Lime said:
Parts of the film are frame-by-frame true to the Graphic novel. The ending is different. A beautifully shot film. Now, for some "Road to Perdition" trivia:

1) Max Collins is a Dubuque, Iowa based writer. He based the character on an actual gangster from Rock Island, Illinois in the 20's-30's named John Looney (the Paul newman character.) They changed the name because they felt "Looney" felt contrived. The real Looney was a bootlegger, pim, extortionist who made money many ways. One way was he'd have photographers hang out on corners with a prostitute. When an unsuspecting farmer passed, the girl would grab and grope the farmer while the photog snapped his picture. Then Looney would threaten to post the photo on the front of a local newspaper he published unless the farmer emptied his pockets.

2) "Road" was shot on location in rural Illinois, Chicago, and the historic village of West Dundee, Illinois.

3) The actor that played Newman's rotten son Conner is the new James Bond.

4) The majority of the clothing in the film, including Hank's noteworthy overcoat, was made by Paul Chang Tailors in Chicago. Graham Thompson made many of the hats but not Hanks.

6) Conrad Hall, celebrated DP, won an Oscar for the film posthumously. He died of cancer before the awards. His other films include "Cool Hand Luke."

7) Max Collins has written several sequels to "Road" as graphic novels.

8) Newman's house in the film is in Evanston, Illinois. It belonged to a former VP who's name escapes me.

Harry Lime

Wow, thanks man, for the info. I think I will check out those graphic novels.

Doh!

One Too Many

That actually works in the film's benefit, I think. In the graphic novel, having Capone in it felt contrived. I've only seen the film once but would gladly watch it again some day. Jude Law was a plausible gangster, believe it or not.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'm a stick in the mud, but I didn't like this movie very much at all.

The whole thing felt contrived and much of it looked terrribly artificial. The scene pictured above looked at best like it was shot entirely on an indoor set, and at worst like one of those stunt shows you see at theme parks. The ending was completely unsatisfying - one of those tripartite endings that tries to please everyone - like Minority Report (look, it's a nihilistic ending, but there's a ray of hope, and now it's a happy ending). Also, Tom Hanks, I mean really, I know some people have kind things to say about him, and I'm sure he's a very nice fellow who makes a wonderful cup of tea and taratara... but he's not very believable in this film at all. I mean not at all.

Anyway, there are some nice shots, that is, there are some nice costumes and sets that are well photographed, but nice shots do not a movie make.

I hate to be the downer, but I was disappointed. Hey, to each his own, right.

Mycroft

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
I'm a stick in the mud, but I didn't like this movie very much at all.

The whole thing felt contrived and much of it looked terrribly artificial. The scene pictured above looked at best like it was shot entirely on an indoor set, and at worst like one of those stunt shows you see at theme parks. The ending was completely unsatisfying - one of those tripartite endings that tries to please everyone - like Minority Report (look, it's a nihilistic ending, but there's a ray of hope, and now it's a happy ending). Also, Tom Hanks, I mean really, I know some people have kind things to say about him, and I'm sure he's a very nice fellow who makes a wonderful cup of tea and taratara... but he's not very believable in this film at all. I mean not at all.

Anyway, there are some nice shots, that is, there are some nice costumes and sets that are well photographed, but nice shots do not a movie make.

I hate to be the downer, but I was disappointed. Hey, to each his own, right.

I can see where you coming from and it is very enlightening in a way, but then again that is the modern form of American Cinema for better or worse.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh boy, I really love this movie! And I think it warrants repeated viewings.
And I agree...it's definitely more ominous to NOT see Capone in the movie. It keeps the story more grounded in reality, as surreal as it is. Paul Newman is brilliant. His scenes with Daniel Craig give me chills.
A+:cheers1:
flat-top

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed the simple soundtrack a lot.
Also, being a fan of th Thompson submachinegun, I enjoyed that sequence where Hanks takes out everyone makign their way to the car in the rain. No sound of the machine gun. Very effective...for me at least.

I'm also amused at how many stories make use of assassins & killers who masquerade as photographers.

Anyway, I thought Newman did a good job, butI was disappointed that JenniferJasonLeigh was overshadowed by it all. For a great actress, I think she is often overlooked.

shamus

Suspended
MrBern said:
I'm also amused at how many stories make use of assassins & killers who masquerade as photographers.

Perhaps they use the photgrapher, because when photos first came out, and in primative tribes, the photo was thought to capture your soul.

Much as an assassin or killer would take away your soul...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
little thing that threw me off

Were any other Lone Ranger fans suprised to see him referenced in a story taking place in 1931? I thought the movie looked great and was beautifully shot. I did enjoy it, just being nitpicky.
I had a similar problem with "Carnivale".

The Wolf

Big Joe

Familiar Face
I've got to agree about poorly casting Tom Hanks into the role.

Machine guns are not like a box of chocolate's. After all you know what you are going to get.
Big Joe

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And Tom Hanks seems to usually dress well in public appearances too. He may not wear a fedora but is usually in a suit instead of jeans with holes and the shirt hanging half out that we see so much of.

Harry Lime

Suspended
I actually liked Hanks in the film. Ironically, I think this more sour and dour presence is closer to the real Hanks than the happy, romantic movie one but that's why they call it acting. I liken him to Jimmy Stewart - a nice guy who could go very dark. But that's just my opinion.

Like all movies there are some factual errors. The hats don't all look all that early 30's for one. (The designer knew this, he wanted the more ominous wider brims of the 40's). And I believe Al Capone was already in jail by '31 as well. I enjoyed the tone and the music and the look of the film. But I'm biased; there are a lot of personal reasons I get nostalgic for this film.

I can see your point though, Jake.

Harry Lime

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I have to say I really like the movie. So much so I own it. It sits on my DVD shelf next to White Heat (note; I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not comparing the two, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m just saying that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s where it is on the shelf).

I also think Hanks is a great actor and would easily hold him up with some of the great actors of the past. He can, and has done it all, from comedy to drama to action, even directing, and he pulls it all off convincingly. All he needs to fill out his portfolio is to star in a good western.

Just my two bits

SH

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'm not a tom hanks fan, but i thought he was fine in this movie. what's wrong with 'casting against type' as they call it ? besides it wasn't THAT dark a role. he was still a loving father. jude law was cast against type as well and looked more interesting than usual with yellow teeth.

my main problem is the director sam mendes. he seems to want to be a great film-maker rather than actually BEING a great film-maker.

Harry Lime

Suspended
herringbonekid said:
i'm not a tom hanks fan, but i thought he was fine in this movie. what's wrong with 'casting against type' as they call it ? besides it wasn't THAT dark a role. he was still a loving father. jude law was cast against type as well and looked more interesting than usual with yellow teeth.

my main problem is the director sam mendes. he seems to want to be a great film-maker rather than actually BEING a great film-maker.

HB,

The Sam Mendes comment is an interesting one. I'm not judging it or annoyed by it (I don't know the man and have no great interest in him one way or another.) I liked "American Beauty" a lot, like "Road..." for more personal reasons as I said, and thought "Jarhead" was adequate. Do you feel his movies lack heart or understanding, feel they're somehow lacking in other ways, he's a publicity whore, etc? Just curious more than anything. He's still a pretty young guy, he may get there yet (or not).

Harry Lime

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i just don't think he's a true original with a unique personal vision. he's very clever and can make a very competent film, the same way many young bands can copy the sound of the bands they love, but that's not what true originators do. they invent what hasn't been seen or heard before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart