Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Rock 'n' Roll Hat You Need Right Now" by GQ

Edward

Bartender
I remember having this conversation in 1989.... about pre-distressed Levis 501s. And in 2002.... about Fender's 'Relic Series' guitars. Plus ca change, plus la meme chose. Not my bag, but hey.... if it further normalises wearing hats again and makes some of those who emulate this style think again later on about a "better" hat, then it can't be all bad.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, the Fender "road worn" series was a big hullabaloo on the Fender Discussion Page, which I was active on at the time. I get the appeal, I particularly like a neck with a "relic" finish.

I don't really have a problem conceptually with pre distressed goods. Denim has been sold that way forever, to the point where most people don't even realize that raw denim is a thing. One of my guitars is a replica of Joe Strummer's, which has about half a finish on it.

But execution is everything.

I cannot, for the life of me get on board with Fouquet. Everything looks just so contrived and artificial. It's like a caricature of an aged hat, everything is over stylized and overdramatic.

I do like some of the Worth and Worth designs, particularly the double dyed "ombre" hats: http://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/nomad-ombre-blue-violet-combo#.V6IhTHplDmw

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Yeah, the Fender "road worn" series was a big hullabaloo on the Fender Discussion Page, which I was active on at the time. I get the appeal, I particularly like a neck with a "relic" finish.

I don't really have a problem conceptually with pre distressed goods. Denim has been sold that way forever, to the point where most people don't even realize that raw denim is a thing. One of my guitars is a replica of Joe Strummer's, which has about half a finish on it.

But execution is everything.

I cannot, for the life of me get on board with Fouquet. Everything looks just so contrived and artificial. It's like a caricature of an aged hat, everything is over stylized and overdramatic.

I do like some of the Worth and Worth designs, particularly the double dyed "ombre" hats: http://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/nomad-ombre-blue-violet-combo#.V6IhTHplDmw
Like my hats, when I've got an aged spot, a knick, a crack, a ding, a dent, or anything else on my guitars, I like having a story that goes with it. Saying "I bought it new that way" or "I did that on purpose because it's cool" is the exact opposite of cool if you ask me. Real aging has stories behind it. Can you imagine if they sold facial creams to increase wrinkles?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Like my hats, when I've got an aged spot, a knick, a crack, a ding, a dent, or anything else on my guitars, I like having a story that goes with it. Saying "I bought it new that way" or "I did that on purpose because it's cool" is the exact opposite of cool if you ask me. Real aging has stories behind it. Can you imagine if they sold facial creams to increase wrinkles?

Well, for instance, I got this Playboy off ebay:

It's got a wonky bash (and I do mean "bash" as opposed to "crease"), a few weak spots in the felt, some light stains here and there. It's a great "aged" hat.

Except I don't have any stories to go with it.

I mean, I appreciate that sentiment, and also have guitars that I've put my own dings in, believe me. But there's another part of me which appreciates something like my Joe Strummer guitar in a different way. And as someone who lurks over on The Replica Prop forum, I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship that goes in to things to make them look artificially aged.

It's got a wonky bash (and I do mean "bash" as opposed to "crease"), a few weak spots in the felt, some light stains here and there. It's a great "aged" hat.

I mean, I appreciate that sentiment, and also have guitars that I've put my own dings in, believe me. But there's another part of me which appreciates something like my Joe Strummer guitar in a different way. And as someone who lurks over on The Replica Prop forum, I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship that goes in to things to make them look artificially aged.

Yeah, but you know all those dings and imperfections do have stories, even if you don't know them. Plus there's the high drama story of how you sat there with your finger poised over the button on your phone until just the right moment when you made your winning bid.

I mean, nerves of steel and all that, right? :p

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

that hat is beautiful

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got back from shopping with my wife, and I noted today a number of guys, young and old, wearing non-baseball hats. Except for a few tourists wearing Panamas, the other hats I saw were cheap-looking, larger-brimmed hats that the wearers probably got at Urban Outfitters or one of the other mall stores. I thought about the fact that if I wasn't familiar with this forum I wouldn't have a clue where to buy a decent hat or even any distinction between a good one and the garbage they're passing off at the mall shops.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Yeah, but you know all those dings and imperfections do have stories, even if you don't know them. Plus there's the high drama story of how you sat there with your finger poised over the button on your phone until just the right moment when you made your winning bid.

I mean, nerves of steel and all that, right? :p
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I see shades of The Moon Signature "Diamond."

Edward

Bartender

The Roadworn stuff was an interesting idea - extending it to the Mexican-built Fender line (at around half the RRP of the US made ones, at least here in the UK). Ut is what it is. For me, a lot of the relicing goes a bit far, but then the image I was always after was a truer, 'when the guitar was new' look. Same as my leather jacket,s I guess - I want my A2 to look like it might have done had I been wearing it in 42, having been issued with it in 41. Broken in, but not a seventy-year old jacket. Other guys want it to look seventy years old because they've grown up going to airshows and wants an A2 that looks exactly like how an original looks now, but either can't find one in their size, or they're too expensive, or doesn't want to wear out an expensive piece of history, and so a repop designed to look liike an original does now is the ideal answer. Horses for courses.The guys I always found funny were the ones that sneered at relics and roadworns as poseur toys, but then they were falling all over themselves to get hold of a nitro finished body specifcally because it would wear on the finish in the way that a modern polyurethane won't. I totally hear you about the necks that are worn in to a satin finish, though - there's a good reason I much prefer the satin finish on my Fender necks over the LP's glossy one. I can certainly appreciate the look and feel of a relic, more generally, though. You know the origin story of the line, with Keith Richards, right? Makes total sense to me - a replica of a vintage instrument you love, right down to the whole look of it, but not the fear of taking a priceless original on the road... I'm actually a little tempted by the (UK budget brand) Vintage Icon series they do that's more than a cheeky nod to Clapton's Blackie. Bit of fun.

There's a feel to a worn guitar, which the best relics, even though new, capture - or at least fool the hands and mind that they capture.... I had the tremendous good fortune once to get to play Hendrix's Black Angel (the lefty Vee he had custom made by Gibson, also if memory serves the last guitar he played in public). A big thrill - especially being a lefty player myself. The fact that the 'wear pattens' on that guitar made my ham-fisted run at Purple Haze feel just right, like the song was engraved in the guitar, was, well. I'd call it a spiritual experience. I'm sure Jimi was rolling in his grave at what I did to his number, but hey..... :lol:

Good point re raw denim! The Mim Fender Joe Strummer tele is a lovely thing indeed. I was privileged to see Joe playing the real thing live with the Mescaleroes three times; I dearly wish I'd gotten to see him with the Clash. A great loss - can't believe it's been nearly fourteen years! Still probably the only man I'd have followed into battle.

That is the thing with it, there's a real art to it - and to do it really well, can be seriously time-consuming. Theres' a reason both Fender and Eastman Leather Co charge more for their 'aged' products!

I'm sure one day there'll be a real life Otto Sump doing just that! I'm relaxed about it, really, though. I mean, there's a limit to what level of distressing I'll take on board, but all in I don't honestly think it matters, all other things being equal, whether the wear already on a hat or guitar or whatever was real or simulated if it happened before I got it. I mean, I'd probably be a lot more ticked off if somebody had deliberately bashed about a printine original whatsit to get that wear, but otherwise, meh.

I just got back from shopping with my wife, and I noted today a number of guys, young and old, wearing non-baseball hats. Except for a few tourists wearing Panamas, the other hats I saw were cheap-looking, larger-brimmed hats that the wearers probably got at Urban Outfitters or one of the other mall stores. I thought about the fact that if I wasn't familiar with this forum I wouldn't have a clue where to buy a decent hat or even any distinction between a good one and the garbage they're passing off at the mall shops.

That's the tihng that's easy to forget - we all had to start somewhere! I remember thinking my all-wool, crushable coboy hat was the dog's proverbials when I first used to wear it; now it doesn't look so great. If all those kids wearing hats we consider cheap and nasty today carry on, they may well graduate to something much nicer. And if they do, those first, 'nasty' hats have served the purpose of turning them on to the idea of wearing a hat at all....

I find it highly amusing tbh.
What ever floats your boat...
A shame though, GQ should be a heck of a lot more stylish than that.
Don't forget most people out there have no idea what a nice hat should look/feel like

But you still look silly with that thing on your head.

Got to remembe,r though, that GQ's a fashion magazine, so they'll always sell fashion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred