Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rocky Hat?

Sorry, he's wrong. And has bad taste in art, to boot. They're all "fedoras." A fedora has a shallow crown? Nope. Tell that to my 6" open crown fedoras. And it has nothing to do with where you wear it on your head.

The only differences are the crown height and brim width. Trilbies, stingy brims, what have you - all fedoras. In truth, as has been demonstrated time and again on this forum, there are really only two classifications - soft felt and stiff felt. The rest is marketing.

It does seem to be a case of "Trilby is in the eye of the beholder" and there are shades of delineation that make defining one or the other more difficult. On average I'd say the main difference is that a Trilby has more conservative proportions than a Fedora--a narrower brim (under 2"?) with the front snapped down, and a shorter and more tapered crown with pinch. Then I see a photo of a "Trilby" with a tall-ish crown, or a Telescope crease, or the brim is up all the way 'round. o_O It's as bad as trying to define beyond a reasonable doubt what, exactly, constitutes a "Porkpie" hat. Narrow brim up all the way around? Check. Low Telescope crease? Check. Oh, wait, that one has a Diamond crease without a pinch, but they're still calling it a Porkpie. Is there such a thing as a Diamond Telescope crease? What about a Teardrop Telescope, or a C-Crown Telescope? Is it merely the absent pinch that makes it a Telescope crease regardless of the shape?

DQ20JC5.jpg

And yeah, whoever chose the artwork to decorate that set has really bad taste.

It does seem to be a case of "Trilby is in the eye of the beholder" and there are shades of delineation that make defining one or the other more difficult. On average I'd say the main difference is that a Trilby has more conservative proportions than a Fedora--a narrower brim (under 2"?) with the front snapped down, and a shorter and more tapered crown with pinch. Then I see a photo of a "Trilby" with a tall-ish crown, or a Telescope crease, or the brim is up all the way 'round. o_O It's as bad as trying to define beyond a reasonable doubt what, exactly, constitutes a "Porkpie" hat. Narrow brim up all the way around? Check. Low Telescope crease? Check. Oh, wait, that one has a Diamond crease without a pinch, but they're still calling it a Porkpie. Is there such a thing as a Diamond Telescope crease? What about a Teardrop Telescope, or a C-Crown Telescope? Is it merely the absent pinch that makes it a Telescope crease regardless of the shape?

DQ20JC5.jpg

And yeah, whoever chose the artwork to decorate that set has really bad taste.

LOL. Like I said, can of worms!

Trilby is also primarily an English term for what we Yanks would call a stingy brim.

The artwork is the least of his problems. Check out the top shelf behind the drink shakers.

Yeah, there are at least one or two mentions in the comments section on You Tube about that Swastika, not much more than the, "Hey, did you see that?" variety. Oddly mixed messages in that video. Somehow I can't imagine the Nazi Party accepting Michael Jackson even after he became a white woman, but that ain't my call.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen something so wrong. If I change how I wear it it changes the type of hat it is? Fedoras have low crowns?!?!? Whoever this joker is he doesn’t know much about hats.

I think the word trilby was used in the UK as a synonym of Fedora. Over time, the UK partly adopted the word fedora, but often still use trilby, but not always to denote what we in the US consider a trilby.

In the US, a trilby is a subset of the fedora. That is, all trilbies are fedoras but not all fedoras are trilbies. Mostly us call them stingy brims…or a tip of the hat to @hatsRme the slim brim. :)

Rocky fan

New in Town
Sorry, he's wrong. And has bad taste in art, to boot. They're all "fedoras." A fedora has a shallow crown? Nope. Tell that to my 6" open crown fedoras. And it has nothing to do with where you wear it on your head.

The only differences are the crown height and brim width. Trilbies, stingy brims, what have you - all fedoras. In truth, as has been demonstrated time and again on this forum, there are really only two classifications - soft felt and stiff felt. The rest is marketing.

The first paintings with the dogs it was done by the mother of Nicholas Pileggi, who wrote the book Goodfellas was based on and who cowrote the film's screenplay with Scorsese. It’s a very famous paint for those who love that movie and I’m one of them. Great film

glider

A-List Customer
Kevin at JJ hats in N.Y. says that a telescope bash and a pork pie are not the same bash. A porkpie has a much titer crease and is flat on top, according to Kevin. Well I'm pretty damn sure he knows more about it than I do.

The first paintings with the dogs it was done by the mother of Nicholas Pileggi, who wrote the book Goodfellas was based on and who cowrote the film's screenplay with Scorsese. It’s a very famous paint for those who love that movie and I’m one of them. Great film
I suspected there was a reason they singled out that painting in the movie; now I know. Thanks!

...Any relation to Mitch Pileggi?
I've seen zero mention of it on the 'Net, so I'm going to say there isn't.

Kevin at JJ hats in N.Y. says that a telescope bash and a pork pie are not the same bash. A porkpie has a much titer crease and is flat on top, according to Kevin. Well I'm pretty damn sure he knows more about it than I do.
Well, he's a hatter so you'd think he would know. Nuts. That means I still don't own a by-the-numbers, honest-to-Howard Porkpie. :(

I suspected there was a reason they singled out that painting in the movie; now I know. Thanks!

I've seen zero mention of it on the 'Net, so I'm going to say there isn't.

Well, he's a hatter so you'd think he would know. Nuts. That means I still don't own a by-the-numbers, honest-to-Howard Porkpie. :(

Kevin of JJ’s is not a hatter. He’s been selling hats for a long time, but he’s no hatter. For me, I think purgatory is continuous videos of Kevin handling and talking about hats.

Kevin of JJ’s is not a hatter. He’s been selling hats for a long time, but he’s no hatter. For me, I think purgatory is continuous videos of Kevin handling and talking about hats.
Thanks for the clarification Brent. I've always thought he was a mad hatter 'cause his bubble tends to be a little off center, but for the most part he seems to know what he's talking about when he stays on-topic. Cool, my two most recently acquired lids are back to being Porkpies again. :D

I already have it, and no disrespect, the hat from the Stalloneshop isn’t 100% accurate to the original.
But the website says it's an exact replica; surely they wouldn't lie just to sell a few hats.
I1SQyi8.gif

But seriously, my issue is the price. $150 for a wool hat? If it was fur felt, sure, but wool??? I just can't justify that in my head. And Baron Hats is even more delusional with their pricing. So, for now, I guess it'll be the inexpensive "close enough" hats for ol' Zombie. I mostly just wanted to inform those who might want one and can more easily afford it that they're back in stock for now.

Rocky fan

New in Town
But the website says it's an exact replica; surely they wouldn't lie just to sell a few hats.
I1SQyi8.gif

But seriously, my issue is the price. $150 for a wool hat? If it was fur felt, sure, but wool??? I just can't justify that in my head. And Baron Hats is even more delusional with their pricing. So, for now, I guess it'll be the inexpensive "close enough" hats for ol' Zombie. I mostly just wanted to inform those who might want one and can more easily afford it that they're back in stock for now.

No disrespect, and this is my humble opinion because I own both hats from the Stalloneshop and baron hats, and me telling you the truth those hats aren't even close to the original. I'll show you, look at these picture and compare the original with the replicas and tell me what do you think.

Attachments

• BFC821B4-D243-4FFE-9ABB-BA257A5C8AE2.jpeg
    BFC821B4-D243-4FFE-9ABB-BA257A5C8AE2.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 481
  • B4D93B4A-3A04-4258-8DA2-2C2BBB000666.jpeg
    B4D93B4A-3A04-4258-8DA2-2C2BBB000666.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 399
^ I appreciate having your photos to help with a side-by-side comparison. To be honest, my opinion hasn't changed--they're not exact, but close enough for the average fan like me and ridiculously overpriced. Besides, I don't look like Mr. Stallone so a hat that looks good on him might not look so good on me, and I kinda' like the looks of both the StalloneShop and Baron's hats. If they're still available when I have more money than brains... :D

Rocky fan

New in Town
lol
So, I'll agree with you.
I'm such a sucker for these hats.
I'm a cosplayer, and it's critical to me that the hat looks authentic.
I did some research to find a vintage reproduction of the original hat, and I found one.
Those replicas are guaranteed to be good, but not perfect.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
No disrespect, and this is my humble opinion because I own both hats from the Stalloneshop and baron hats, and me telling you the truth those hats aren't even close to the original. I'll show you, look at these picture and compare the original with the replicas and tell me what do you think.

Actually, they are pretty close. The main difference seems to be a difference in crown height, especially the Baron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner