Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rocky Hat?

Rocky fan

New in Town
That's correct, but not only in terms of crown height.
I tell you this because I, too, own a Baron hat, and the many differences are as follows:
The wool they use is far too thick, the hat is heavy, and the band that goes around the hat is far too wide and thick.
The brim should be both strong and thin.
The original brim was made with some type of cardboard between the wool, which causes the brim to curl.
The baron hat is far too thick and pliable.
The crown shape and height are both very different from the original, and the crown is very firm but not hard, but if you poke it with your fingers, it will return to its original shape, and Baron hats are very flexible.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That's correct, but not only in terms of crown height.
I tell you this because I, too, own a Baron hat, and the many differences are as follows:
The wool they use is far too thick, the hat is heavy, and the band that goes around the hat is far too wide and thick.
The brim should be both strong and thin.
The original brim was made with some type of cardboard between the wool, which causes the brim to curl.
The baron hat is far too thick and pliable.
The crown shape and height are both very different from the original, and the crown is very firm but not hard, but if you poke it with your fingers, it will return to its original shape, and Baron hats are very flexible.

Ah, I see. Good explanation that is not obvious in the pictures.

...I'm such a sucker for these hats.
I'm a cosplayer, and it's critical to me that the hat looks authentic...
Right. Being a cosplayer you're being held to a higher standard by your peers. I'm just some putz who is only hoping to find a "close enough" hat I like at a price I can live with. So far this is as close as I've come...

1D8FjEj.jpg

I stumbled across this one on eBay almost three years ago. 100% cotton, made in China. The front of the brim is still too flat, and that pattern is printed onto the fabric presumably in an attempt to make the weave look more coarse from a bit of a distance. For $3.59 I couldn't pass it up.

...I did some research to find a vintage reproduction of the original hat, and I found one...
Same maker as the ones used for filming, or a competitor selling an identical hat? And when you say you "found one", does that mean it's now yours, or you found it and was able to examine it? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

Rocky fan

New in Town
Ah, I see. Good explanation that is not obvious in the pictures.

I found a vintage reproduction of the original Rocky hat, which has a very simple design. I contacted several hat-making companies, requesting that they recreate it, but no one could.

Attachments

• 31BBB4D0-175E-43DA-BD83-0EBD46E2E1CC.jpeg
    31BBB4D0-175E-43DA-BD83-0EBD46E2E1CC.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 619
  • 4264BE54-3AFC-4762-9D9E-23FD43520F4D.jpeg
    4264BE54-3AFC-4762-9D9E-23FD43520F4D.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:

Rocky fan

New in Town
Right. Being a cosplayer you're being held to a higher standard by your peers. I'm just some putz who is only hoping to find a "close enough" hat I like at a price I can live with. So far this is as close as I've come...

1D8FjEj.jpg

I stumbled across this one on eBay almost three years ago. 100% cotton, made in China. The front of the brim is still too flat, and that pattern is printed onto the fabric presumably in an attempt to make the weave look more coarse from a bit of a distance. For $3.59 I couldn't pass it up.

Same maker as the ones used for filming, or a competitor selling an identical hat? And when you say you "found one", does that mean it's now yours, or you found it and was able to examine it? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

Kevin McAndrew is the hat brand of the original Rocky hat.
I began looking everywhere and eventually paid off.
I found it and paid only $40 for it.
I am certain that the seller had no idea what he was holding.
I was taken aback by the price.

Attachments

• ACC62A4E-A2A3-42EA-8628-58BC7AE2C63F.jpeg
    ACC62A4E-A2A3-42EA-8628-58BC7AE2C63F.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 683
  • 83631FAB-2D5A-40C5-8D9A-3B6A879B4313.jpeg
    83631FAB-2D5A-40C5-8D9A-3B6A879B4313.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 502
Last edited:
I found a vintage reproduction of the original Rocky hat, which has a very simple design. I contacted several hat-making companies, requesting that they recreate it, but no one could.
Definitely the hat. Nice! Stallone said he had the same problem while trying to find someone to replicate the hat; several companies said they couldn't, but it's my guess that there were legal or production cost issues involved so they didn't want to. Except for the price I like Baron Hats' version, but only as a hat, not a "Rocky Hat" replica; like their other replica hats, it has too many inaccuracies. And the Stallone Shop hat is more a replica of the hat he wore in Creed, not the Rocky movies. Once again, that's a hat I like except for the price, but only as a hat I'd wear regularly, not as a replica.

Kevin McAndrew is the hat brad of the original Rocky hat.
I began looking everywhere and eventually paid off.
I found it and paid only $40 for it.
I am certain that the seller had no idea what he was holding.
I was taken aback by the price.

We who scurry around every corner of the internet looking for vintage hats frequently come across hats similar to your Keven McAndrew. It’s common to see these similar hats sell for less than $20 if they sell at all. I’m sure not one in a 100 vintage hat collector would have recognized the Kevin McAndrew for what it is. It’s a common enough looking hat that was cheaply made. I’m certain that the large majority of these hats ended up being tossed away. I’ll try to keep an eye out in the future…not my style, but if I could re-sell it for a profit…. :)

We who scurry around every corner of the internet looking for vintage hats frequently come across hats similar to your Keven McAndrew. It’s common to see these similar hats sell for less than $20 if they sell at all...I’ll try to keep an eye out in the future…not my style, but if I could re-sell it for a profit…. :)
If you happen to find one in half-way decent condition in whatever equates to a size 7-1/2 US, I'd be willing to trade it for a piece of paper with a portrait of Benjamin Franklin on it. :D

Rocky fan

New in Town
I’m selling this cap if anyone is interested.
Based on the cap worn by Marlon Brando in the film The Wild One 100% handmade in the United States by Baron Hats Hollywood hat maker with fine cashmere.
Details:
Color: beige
Material: Cashmere with black leather visor.
Size : 7 3/8
Condition: used but in Mint condition.
Price: $275.00 or best offer
Prior to purchasing, please inspect the item thoroughly and ask any questions you may have. Returns will not be accepted. When we list an item, we aim to be as accurate and truthful as possible. If you're concerned that it will break in transit, you can purchase shipping insurance from the US Postal Service, which will appear as an option when you pay.

Attachments

• 2DDAE553-BD06-4CE8-9894-72FB717ABCA1.jpeg
    2DDAE553-BD06-4CE8-9894-72FB717ABCA1.jpeg
    576.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 2E4F126D-1C32-472C-9218-152988043567.jpeg
    2E4F126D-1C32-472C-9218-152988043567.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 101
  • EC5875F8-0BE7-4415-B9DF-2A13697E6896.jpeg
    EC5875F8-0BE7-4415-B9DF-2A13697E6896.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 3BD7BEAA-B613-4F49-8D93-65B005FA970D.jpeg
    3BD7BEAA-B613-4F49-8D93-65B005FA970D.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 78483D48-8030-405D-A794-C277355AC0D0.jpeg
    78483D48-8030-405D-A794-C277355AC0D0.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 81
  • B79418D5-8DBD-4783-B06B-24EBC44637CA.jpeg
    B79418D5-8DBD-4783-B06B-24EBC44637CA.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DEEB438D-8344-4F9F-B6FE-FD12C43DC7DE.jpeg
    DEEB438D-8344-4F9F-B6FE-FD12C43DC7DE.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 69
  • E5778AD9-76EB-4268-A925-498BF1D4BCB9.jpeg
    E5778AD9-76EB-4268-A925-498BF1D4BCB9.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 862E8748-5564-46A8-A307-0B1DC48041BF.jpeg
    862E8748-5564-46A8-A307-0B1DC48041BF.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 96
I’m selling this cap if anyone is interested.
Based on the cap worn by Marlon Brando in the film The Wild One 100% handmade in the United States by Baron Hats Hollywood hat maker with fine cashmere.
Details:
Color: beige
Material: Cashmere with black leather visor.
Size : 7 3/8
Condition: used but in Mint condition.
Price: $275.00 or best offer
Prior to purchasing, please inspect the item thoroughly and ask any questions you may have. Returns will not be accepted. When we list an item, we aim to be as accurate and truthful as possible. If you're concerned that it will break in transit, you can purchase shipping insurance from the US Postal Service, which will appear as an option when you pay.

You might consider listing this in our classifieds section. Good luck.

^ I appreciate having your photos to help with a side-by-side comparison. To be honest, my opinion hasn't changed--they're not exact, but close enough for the average fan like me and ridiculously overpriced. Besides, I don't look like Mr. Stallone so a hat that looks good on him might not look so good on me, and I kinda' like the looks of both the StalloneShop and Baron's hats. If they're still available when I have more money than brains... :D
I still don't have more money than brains, but I just pulled the trigger on a Stallone Shop hat. Again, for me it's because I like the hat, not because it's a "replica" (he wrote, using the term loosely) of the one Stallone wore in a movie or two...not that there's anything wrong with that. I'll let everyone know what I think of it once I have it in-hand.

Okay, now for something the vast majority of the members here truly couldn't care less about: Another idiot's opinion of the Sly Stallone Shop replica of this damned hat. The first problem is evident before you've even placed your order--they've used generic sizing, i.e. "small", "medium", "large", and "x-large". On the website there's a chart which defines these sizes, and, of course, I'm between sizes so my choices were to order a hat a full size too small, or one that was a full size too large. So...

qkjz0Ms.jpg

Not horrible, but not great either. Which leads to the next thing I didn't like about the hat--it's heavy. Surprisingly heavy; now the heaviest hat I own. I have a western hat with fur felt that's approximately 1/8" thick, and this stupid wool melton hat is heavier than that one. So, between the extra size and the weight, it tends to move around on my head at least a little. *sigh*

Funny thing, though. After I've been wearing it for 5-10 minutes it seems to "settle" on my head and stop moving. And it's not uncomfortable. Also, if I push it back on my head (like actors often do so their faces can be seen easier) it fits better and is more comfortable. So it won't be the first hat I've owned that I wasn't completely happy with, but I do like it. I'll just need to live with it for a while to find out how much.

And for those who care about such things, here are photos of the liner and button on the side of the crown:

Hb6B1ID.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality, but these were the best shots I got; our camera doesn't do close-ups well. On the left is the liner, white satin with the logo (a silhouette of the "Rocky" statue formerly in Philadelphia) and, below that, two lines of text that say "THE OFFICIAL CLOTHING BRAND OF SYLVESTER STALLONE" and a third line consisting of the website's address. The button is a bit more "brassy" or "gold tone" than the way it photographed, but not by much, and I have no idea what the symbolism represents. It's allegedly an accurate replica of the buttons on the original hats worn by Sylvester Stallone in Rocky, Rocky II, and Rocky V, but who knows. The hat itself isn't a completely accurate replica--the crown is too short and the brim a bit too wide--but it's very close to at least one of the hat(s) he wore in Creed II.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and observations. Is it worth the asking price? Probably not, but I guess Sylvester Stallone needs money. :rolleyes:

Okay, now for something the vast majority of the members here truly couldn't care less about: Another idiot's opinion of the Sly Stallone Shop replica of this damned hat. The first problem is evident before you've even placed your order--they've used generic sizing, i.e. "small", "medium", "large", and "x-large". On the website there's a chart which defines these sizes, and, of course, I'm between sizes so my choices were to order a hat a full size too small, or one that was a full size too large. So...

qkjz0Ms.jpg

Not horrible, but not great either. Which leads to the next thing I didn't like about the hat--it's heavy. Surprisingly heavy; now the heaviest hat I own. I have a western hat with fur felt that's approximately 1/8" thick, and this stupid wool melton hat is heavier than that one. So, between the extra size and the weight, it tends to move around on my head at least a little. *sigh*

Funny thing, though. After I've been wearing it for 5-10 minutes it seems to "settle" on my head and stop moving. And it's not uncomfortable. Also, if I push it back on my head (like actors often do so their faces can be seen easier) it fits better and is more comfortable. So it won't be the first hat I've owned that I wasn't completely happy with, but I do like it. I'll just need to live with it for a while to find out how much.

And for those who care about such things, here are photos of the liner and button on the side of the crown:

Hb6B1ID.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality, but these were the best shots I got; our camera doesn't do close-ups well. On the left is the liner, white satin with the logo (a silhouette of the "Rocky" statue formerly in Philadelphia) and, below that, two lines of text that say "THE OFFICIAL CLOTHING BRAND OF SYLVESTER STALLONE" and a third line consisting of the website's address. The button is a bit more "brassy" or "gold tone" than the way it photographed, but not by much, and I have no idea what the symbolism represents. It's allegedly an accurate replica of the buttons on the original hats worn by Sylvester Stallone in Rocky, Rocky II, and Rocky V, but who knows. The hat itself isn't a completely accurate replica--the crown is too short and the brim a bit too wide--but it's very close to at least one of the hat(s) he wore in Creed II.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and observations. Is it worth the asking price? Probably not, but I guess Sylvester Stallone needs money. :rolleyes:

Nice, Al. It’s a style that looks good on you. It’s also nice that you’re supporting the less fortunate…I’m sure the Stallone family appreciates it.

Rocky fan

New in Town

qkjz0Ms.jpg

Hb6B1ID.jpg

Awesome

Mighty44

One Too Many
The thread that won’t go down for the count…;)
I came across this wool Dobbs Rocky. I don’t know how screen accurate it is or if it’s already well-known. I just wanted to add it in case it’s of interest to someone.
NOT my hat.

View attachment 597483 View attachment 597484 View attachment 597485 View attachment 597486
hre
I came across this wool Dobbs Rocky. I don’t know how screen accurate it is or if it’s already well-known. I just wanted to add it in case it’s of interest to someone.
NOT my hat.

View attachment 597483 View attachment 597484 View attachment 597485 View attachment 597486

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner