Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SATIN FINISH/LONG HAIR CLUB

Bancroft Genuine Beaver

Save for a Stetson 5X Clear Beaver circa 1940, this is the only pre-WWII beaver fur hat that I have owned or handled. The color is golden silver... much like 19th century top hats that I have seen behind glass. I will share photos in the Side By Side thread comparing this hat to the more common clear nutria longhair. They are similar in many ways, but the beaver fibers are longer and significantly softer. Interesting how different this felt is to the more elegant and refined European velour - long and flowing like the silver hair of an older Wild Bill Cody. American.

Very little marking to go on for era... United Hatters of NA label indicates pre-1934. I think 1920 might be a reasonable estimate. 2 1/2 brim, crown is very straight, here creased to 5", 2" rayon ribbon with boxy bow - not frayed. Liner is raw silk, taped to the body obscuring the manufacturer's tag - likely from a cleaning many years ago. Buler found this Ohio retailer who sold hats and furs... perhaps the source?

bancroft2.jpg

bancroft3.jpg

bancroft4.jpg

bancroft5.jpg

bancroft6.jpg

bancroft7.jpg

bancroft8.jpg

bancroft9.jpg

bancroft10.jpg

bancroft11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads