Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

...until you see the 30s and 40s movies with all those goofy little felt hats they used to wear.

You're kidding, right?

hat-loy.jpg

myrna+loy+2.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha! But they get even odder--Roalind Russell in "The Women," innumberable other pictures.

One thing I have to notice though is that the ladies really had guts (I won't say stones) for the hats in those days. They really let 'em fly. You don't see that now, except for someone like Caramel Smoothie going out of her way to collect good old women's hats. Where are the 21st Century bold felt hats for women?

wandering-trader

New in Town
My most recent purchase here: http://picasaweb.google.com/112035090953435902534/KnoxHomburg

$20 with shipping on ebay.

It feels like a wool felt since I can't feel a rough direction when rubbing it with my fingers, and looks like it was serviced at a factory with the newer inner label over an older label.

The newer label has 047766, while the older label has 63581 on it.

From what approximate year is this hat originally and when was it serviced?

Can those dimples in the side be misted and reshaped back flat?

From the picture of the felt and the lack of grain direction, is it wool or short trimmed fur?

Thanks in advance.

You done good. It is most definitely fur felt and dates from the 1950s I think. Not sure what the label change represents - they look like Hat Corporation of America labels from that era. It should respond well to some steam and brushing. You can then reset the center crease and change or remove the side dents as you like. Enjoy it!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1950's Knox Twenty (20)

This hat has been photographed here before. However, I thought I would post another set of pictures showing its "transformation" from a 1950's looking hat to a hat that could easily be mistaken for a 1920's looking hat. This hat has the right proportions to give it that 1920's look when creased and flanged properly. The crown is 5 3/4 inches tall with a flat top and fairly straight sides. The brim measures 2 3/4 inches wide and has a Cav edge. I recently received this hat from Alan. Thanks so much, Alan!!!!!!

When I first received the hat, I gave it a good steaming and brushing to bring it back to open crown. I also applied a couple even coats of Mink oil before I started steaming just to make sure that I didn't damage the sweatband.

Here's the hat in Open Crown Position:

DSC07859.jpg

DSC07861.jpg

DSC07862.jpg

DSC07863.jpg

DSC07864.jpg

DSC07865.jpg

Here's the hat after I gave the brim a nice curve and creased the crown in a late teens/early 20's fashion:

The inspiration for this hat was from this old Stetson ad from 1916. The hat on the left was the look I was trying to go for.

1916STETSONMENHATS.jpg

DSC07866.jpg

DSC07867.jpg

DSC07868.jpg

DesertDan

One Too Many
That Superfine is beautiful, congrats!

I have 2 Knox hats, a Westlite and a beautiful charcoal grey Premium with a Cavanaugh edge that I just aquired from Mattface.
I am becoming quite a fan of Knox hats. Love the Homburg that Josh posted, I've been thinking about adding one to my collection, but first I need to try one on to see if the style suits me.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
vintage Knox Extra Quality vented brown derby! Any help with dating would be appreciated (I know, sounds like a personal problem ;) ) but I'd love to determine the vintage of this little cupcake.

knoxextraderby008.jpg

knoxextraderby010.jpg

knoxextraderby012.jpg

knoxextraderby014.jpg

knoxextraderby016.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
You really Knoxed it out of the ballpark with this one, Jeff! Congratulations, I am very happy for you! Check carefully behind the sweatband to see what stickers remain, as that will help in estimating vintage, but I think it is 1930s at the latest, possibly 1920s.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. This one kind of fell into my lap!
Of course-- behind the sweatband. I was too busy quadriventilating to remain lucid earlier. Here's what I found, including a taped seam similar to the one Alive N Amplified mentioned on his new Cav.

s1stvolleyballgame021.jpg

s1stvolleyballgame022.jpg

s1stvolleyballgame023.jpg

I can't believe how mint this thing is.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Jeff, that early Knox Derby is just FANTASTIC!! If that's from ebay, I was going to bid on that one, but it was gone when I came back to it. ;)

I believe that this Derby is a bit earlier than you may think. I believe its from the mid-teens to very early 20's. According to the sweatband stamp, it could date from before the teens, but based on the derby's 5 3/4 inch crown height and others that I've seen that are similar in features, I think it dates to the mid-teens. The re-order tag is very early, and vented brown derbies were very popular pre-1920. Now, that's not to say that it couldn't date to the 20's, but the very high and round crowns on derbies were very popular in the 1890's and then again in the span around 1914-1919. Just my opinion.

Jeff, I some how missed (Josh, Thanks!) your fantastic Knox Extra Quality Derby! Rare color and side vents! Also great condition!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy