Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was going to say Teens or Twenties. It's definitely pre-1932, before their merger into Cavanagh-Dobbs, Inc. What a fantastic specimen!

Brad

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Steve, Manfred, Brad: Thanks for the commentary/info! I'm really psyched about this one. Not a flaw that I can find anywhere, and I think without question this is my oldest hat. The other contender could be my Kauffman derby from 1928, based on the stamp from the original box.
Josh-- this was indeed from Ebay, and I knew that if I flinched I would have missed it! ;)
When it comes to derbies I prefer the elusive brown to black, and so acted totally on impulse. Now I just gotta find the even more elusive natural color, or a long nap!

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, that early Knox Derby is just FANTASTIC!! If that's from ebay, I was going to bid on that one, but it was gone when I came back to it. ;)

I believe that this Derby is a bit earlier than you may think. I believe its from the mid-teens to very early 20's. According to the sweatband stamp, it could date from before the teens, but based on the derby's 5 3/4 inch crown height and others that I've seen that are similar in features, I think it dates to the mid-teens. The re-order tag is very early, and vented brown derbies were very popular pre-1920. Now, that's not to say that it couldn't date to the 20's, but the very high and round crowns on derbies were very popular in the 1890's and then again in the span around 1914-1919. Just my opinion.
Wow! Jeff, you'd better start planning a 100-years-old birthday party for this hat. (All attendees must needs wear a derby, of course, unless only a bowler is available.) The condition of that beauty is unreal!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Fresh from eBay, a Knox Foxhound.
20130104_141618.jpg

Nice heathered felt on this one, with a "distinctive band" according to Knox advertisements of the period).
20130104_141631.jpg

20130104_141722.jpg

The size tag fell off the leather as I flipped the sweat down to look at this original price tag. $13.50 seems to correspond with 1959-1960 prices according to this ad which Google news found. Google also picked up a 1960 ad which describes the hat as a "soft wool mixture," although other ads from 1960 show a different permutation of the hat. I've gathered that the Foxhound label was applied to a great many Knox hats over the years. This 1958 ad on the other hand, describes it "new fur finish" in smooth and rough. So I'm going to hope that this one isn't a wool blend (if it is, it shapes decently), and surmise that it's probably from 1959 based on the $13.50 price and not the $12.95 price of 1958 or the $13.95 price of 1960.
20130104_141512.jpg

Closeup of the felt in natural light.
20130104_141235.jpg

Noggin shot, the crown is a bit tapered, and not terribly high, as was the fashion with those 50's/60's hats, but I really like this one. Should go well for the coming cold months.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
vintage Knox Extra Quality vented brown derby! Any help with dating would be appreciated (I know, sounds like a personal problem ;) ) but I'd love to determine the vintage of this little cupcake.

knoxextraderby016.jpg

Jeff, really like the color on that one. Plus, the dimensions work very well for you. I'd go with Josh on the dating.

B

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Knox Superfine.

This one is especially nice as I was expecting that it wouldn't fit. It was listed as a 7 5/8 and many times old 7 5/8 hats don't work for me. This, however is a full (if not more than full) 7 5/8 XLO! It has a couple of moth bites but nothing terrible.

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see the hat is from Young Quinlan, a Minneapolis store that I remember from my childhood, a classy place if I recall. I haven't heard that name for decades. I am proud to see that a great hat emanated from Minneapolis. We had style up there on the tundra!

furious

New in Town
Jealous. That is a beaut!! I am presently on the lookout for a Knox or Cavanagh of the same vintage.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Knox homburg... I am unsure on the date of this hat. It is black, but the pics make it seem blueish...

If anyone can help figure a date, many thanks!

1v10.jpg

2v10.jpg

00413.jpg

3v10.jpg

And a noggin shot:

08210.jpg

Last edited:

rembetis

New in Town
Greetings.

I recently found this Knox derby/bowler in my parents' attic and was hoping someone could help me date it. I have good reason to believe it was my great grandfather's. Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the photos.

Knox1.jpg

Knox2.jpg

Knox3.jpg

Knox4.jpg

Knox5.jpg

Knox6.jpg

Knox7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass