Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Do you own the guitar or are you justifying buying it to match a soon-to-be-new hat?

I'm not much into long hair, but that is one nice hat, Bob.

That liner—wow!

What a beauty

I'm not much into long hair, but that is one nice hat, Bob.

Thanks gents! I couldn't tell a whole lot from the auction (see what I did there?). I was very happy to receive it and look behind the curtain.

1678143106234.png

The Knox 100 I found ten years ago is the finest post-WWII hat I've handled... a combination of relentless attention to detail, and its era, which is slightly ahead in time from the run of hundred dollar hats sold by Stetson circa 1960. I've found over time that a Stetson 7X clear beaver is every bit as good a hat as a Stetson 100 and because its heritage is earlier, often better. The Knox 40 I pulled on this morning is perhaps 80% of that lovely Knox 100. Alas that 100 was too large for me to wear - it has visited a couple of homes since it came to mine in 2013.

031623_2.jpg

031623_4.jpg

031623_3.jpg

031623_1.jpg

031623_5.jpg

MikeinRome

Practically Family
The Knox 100 I found ten years ago is the finest post-WWII hat I've handled... a combination of relentless attention to detail, and its era, which is slightly ahead in time from the run of hundred dollar hats sold by Stetson circa 1960. I've found over time that a Stetson 7X clear beaver is every bit as good a hat as a Stetson 100 and because its heritage is earlier, often better. The Knox 40 I pulled on this morning is perhaps 80% of that lovely Knox 100. Alas that 100 was too large for me to wear - it has visited a couple of homes since it came to mine in 2013.

View attachment 498595

View attachment 498593

View attachment 498594

View attachment 498591

View attachment 498592
Love those top shelf Knox fedoras. Love my later Knox Fifty but I think your earlier Forty beats it. That One Hundred you had is just stupid beautiful!

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got this off eBay….probably shouldn’t have but it was too nice looking to pass up. According to the seller it’s a 5in crown and 2 in brim which works great for my proportions and apparently beaver. We’ll see when it gets here. No idea the model though I’m thinking late ‘50s as to the era. View attachment 545309 View attachment 545310 View attachment 545311
I doubt it's beaver. Most likely rabbit or wild hare. I would think 70s or maybe late 60s.

Yeah, I doubt it’s beaver as well, but a hare/rabbit mix seems very possible. I was thinking late 50s-60s mostly due to reasonably tall square crown, by the 70s wouldn’t that be uncommon?

Looks 1960s to me too, but 1970s isn’t out of the question. Beaver fedoras are rare in any decade. Sellers claim hats are beaver all the time without any supporting proof.

blewnote

New in Town
I rolled the dice on this hat that seemed to be from the 40s and I think it is. I feel like I overpaid compared to some of the steals I see posted here ($125 plus shipping, but it did come with a box), but it looked like what I was looking for (pre-1950s black homburg with a tall crown and decent sized brim) My guess is early 40s, based on the lack of a plastic or oilskin over the top of the liner, the tall crown, the reorder tag, and the price but would love it if anyone has a better idea of its age.

The seller mis-identified the hat (there are a lot of homburgs listed as bowlers) and the color (midnight, or maybe navy, but very dark blue, not black as listed) and didn't specify the condition. However, it arrived today and is in mint condition. No stains, no moth bites, the sweatband is supple, and the crown seems to have been in an open position so long it doesn't have a crease to remember. According to the tag it is blocked to 5 5/8" and the brim measures 2 1/4" (probably 2 1/2" if flattened).

The only defect, if you can call it such, is is a small ripple in the ribbon from it folding over on itself a little that I think will come out with a little steam. It's kind of amazing actually that something this old can seem so brand new! It's not black as I was hoping, but I think it's close enough that I can wear it with my tuxedo, which is why I was looking for one.

I don't have enough experience with quality felt to accurately describe it, but it's very lightweight and soft, almost floppy. The crown is extremely pliable, almost too much so. It seems as nice as the 100% beaver I have from Northwest Hats, but slightly less stiff.

It is just ever so slightly too small at the moment (depending on the hat I'm a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8), but I'm hopeful that a little time in a hat jack or on my friend's hat stretcher will give it the nudge to fit perfectly.

The last picture shows it (on the left) next to a black Dobbs homburg from the 50s (I assume, considering it still has the blocking info on it) that wasn't quite big enough in proportions for me... it has a 1 7/8" brim and a 4 1/8" blocking height, and also the felt was rather stiff feeling.

side.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

liner.jpg

store.jpg

knox.jpg

size.jpg

price.jpg

reorder.jpg

compare.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks like you picked up a very nice hat. A little brushing and cleanup and it will be a real showstopper! Wear it in good health. Homburgs are a lot more versatile than the old stereotype suggests. (And, yes, many Ebay sellers confuse open crown hats and homburgs with bowlers.)

I rolled the dice on this hat that seemed to be from the 40s and I think it is. I feel like I overpaid compared to some of the steals I see posted here ($125 plus shipping, but it did come with a box), but it looked like what I was looking for (pre-1950s black homburg with a tall crown and decent sized brim) My guess is early 40s, based on the lack of a plastic or oilskin over the top of the liner, the tall crown, the reorder tag, and the price but would love it if anyone has a better idea of its age.

The seller mis-identified the hat (there are a lot of homburgs listed as bowlers) and the color (midnight, or maybe navy, but very dark blue, not black as listed) and didn't specify the condition. However, it arrived today and is in mint condition. No stains, no moth bites, the sweatband is supple, and the crown seems to have been in an open position so long it doesn't have a crease to remember. According to the tag it is blocked to 5 5/8" and the brim measures 2 1/4" (probably 2 1/2" if flattened).

The only defect, if you can call it such, is is a small ripple in the ribbon from it folding over on itself a little that I think will come out with a little steam. It's kind of amazing actually that something this old can seem so brand new! It's not black as I was hoping, but I think it's close enough that I can wear it with my tuxedo, which is why I was looking for one.

I don't have enough experience with quality felt to accurately describe it, but it's very lightweight and soft, almost floppy. The crown is extremely pliable, almost too much so. It seems as nice as the 100% beaver I have from Northwest Hats, but slightly less stiff.

It is just ever so slightly too small at the moment (depending on the hat I'm a 7 1/4 or 7 3/8), but I'm hopeful that a little time in a hat jack or on my friend's hat stretcher will give it the nudge to fit perfectly.

The last picture shows it (on the left) next to a black Dobbs homburg from the 50s (I assume, considering it still has the blocking info on it) that wasn't quite big enough in proportions for me... it has a 1 7/8" brim and a 4 1/8" blocking height, and also the felt was rather stiff feeling.

View attachment 545983

View attachment 545993

View attachment 545994

View attachment 545984

View attachment 545988

View attachment 545989

View attachment 545985

View attachment 545986

View attachment 545987

View attachment 545990

Forum statistics

Threads