Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:

Acquired just 2 hours ago. Deadstock 1930s. My favorite fedora, bar none!

AtnSept09033.jpg

WOW! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
early '50s Knox brochure

Here's an early '50s Knox brochure, with photos of the following models: 'Custom Edge', Vagabond, Foxhound, Fifth Avenue, Hol-Hi, Gayley, Westlite and 'Antelope Finish'. Marc dated it to the early '50s.

This 3x5 fold out brochure was in a 2-hat octagonal Knox hat box I bought today, along with the size-tag shown at the bottom. Box had written on the side "101760 Foxhound Lt Brown CNX 10.00"

(I split up the pics so that I could get 2 hats/image - not like this in brochure)

KnoxBrochure1_2.jpg

KnoxBrochure3_6.jpg

KnoxBrochure4_5.jpg

KnoxBrochure7_8.jpg

KnoxBrochure9_10.jpg

Knoxsizetag.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Knox - The Fifth Avenue

Here is a Knox, The Fifth Avenue Extra Quality. Really like this hat a lot. Based on the liner and sweat I'm guessing early 40's? I'm not very knowledgable with Knox. The felt is nice and thick without being too stiff. Nice wide supple sweat with embossed logo. Unfortunately the sweat stitching completely gave way. I may try to sew it back on since the leather is in great shape. The liner is a cotton/linen type versus satin. Original price of $7.50.

B

knox_1_alt3.jpg

knox_3_alt.jpg

knox_4.jpg

knox_5.jpg

knox_6.jpg

knox_7.jpg

knox_8.jpg

knox_9.jpg

knox_10.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
My Knox Twenty. Superb hat, came open crown and perfect uncreased condition. As much as I tried to put a teardrop in it, it seemed to only want a diamond.

3590144244_4401ecf9ee.jpg

The following Knox Twenty 'Custom Edge' is very similar to Billy's except for the colors and size tag (mine's the foil type). Probably put away unworn with a diamond bash, it pops back to an open crown easily. Dated '1950-53' by the OPS tag. This is my 2nd Knox Twenty, and I have a third arriving any day now...along with a Knox Thirty-Five straw.

Knox20TanSide.jpg

Knox20CreamTop.jpg

Knox20TanLiner.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Knox Thirty-Five Montecristi

Thanks Sue, Bolthead - that's my favorite hat that I never wear. It looks odd on me, but it sure is a beauty.

Here's a mint Knox Thirty-Five Montecristi that just came in from ebay. The condition is stunning - sweatband appeared to have been put on the hat yesterday. But I was greedily expecting closer to 1000 wpi, and it's around 700 (I think the 'CAC' on the sweatband stands for 'Can't Always Count')

Does anyone have a date range for the 'Thirty-Five' price break? The price-tag under the band is ancient - looks just like one on a '30s Knox Panama that I sold jtl.

ScottF said:

This one just arrived - it's in mint condition; however, the weave is almost exactly like my other two - about 700. Camera is busted or I would take some pics.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Does anyone have a date range for the 'Thirty-Five' price break? The price-tag under the band is ancient - looks just like one on a '30s Knox Panama that I sold jtl.

The price ranges we've come up with have so far only applied to felt hats. A Panama is a different critter, and is usually pricier than a felt, so we can't necessarily go by the price, until we've constructed a range for straws. That being said, the one photo of the sweatband makes it look mid-'40s or newer, but we'll wait until we see more photos before making the call.:)

Looks like you got a great price on it, no matter the age!

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
The price ranges we've come up with have so far only applied to felt hats. A Panama is a different critter, and is usually pricier than a felt, so we can't necessarily go by the price, until we've constructed a range for straws. That being said, the one photo of the sweatband makes it look mid-'40s or newer, but we'll wait until we see more photos before making the call.:)

Looks like you got a great price on it, no matter the age!

Brad

Thanks for the info, Brad. It's very frustrating not having a functioning camera :(

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Here is a Knox, The Fifth Avenue Extra Quality. Really like this hat a lot. Based on the liner and sweat I'm guessing early 40's?

knox_10.jpg

Does the positioning of the Knox logo in the sweat tell us anything about date? My 1950-53 Cav edge has it perpendicular, but other two Cav Edge Knox's that I think are older, has it like yours, as does my Thirty-Five Montecristi (both have the more modern stamp, though - not the round one).

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Does the positioning of the Knox logo in the sweat tell us anything about date? My 1950-53 Cav edge has it perpendicular, but other two Cav Edge Knox's that I think are older, has it like yours, as does my Thirty-Five Montecristi (both have the more modern stamp, though - not the round one).

I'm sure it does. Seems like sweatband and logo info are some of the better dating tools. We just need more examples of Knox details and some prices to match up with ads.

B

norton

One of the Regulars
I assume you've seen this from another recent thread, but I'll repost because it seems to fit so well here:

IMG00004-20090910-1209.jpg

IMG00006-20090910-1212.jpg

IMG00007-20090910-1212.jpg

IMG00008-20090910-1213.jpg

IMG00009-20090910-1214.jpg

IMG00011-20090910-1221.jpg

IMG00005-20090910-1211.jpg

and finally after recrafting by optimo:

knox2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Knox Twenty Custom Edge - Phil Rizzuto

Extra long oval. Very similar to the cream Knox Twenty above, but logo is parallel to sweat, 'custom edge' on sweat is upside-down, no oilskin liner cover. Hat is shaped like a rugby ball.

Knox20PHSideMed.jpg

Knox20PHSideUnbMed.jpg

Knox20PHLinerMedjpg.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
norton said:
I assume you've seen this from another recent thread, but I'll repost because it seems to fit so well here:

and finally after recrafting by optimo:

knox2.jpg

Norton - that looks like a wonderful hat.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Finally got some pics:

MontKnoxTags.jpg

Now that I see the photos, it's mid-'50s or later, probably closer to 1960. I like how the body says 7 1/4, but the tags are both 7 3/8.:eusa_doh:

Fine Knox Panama, Scott.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Now that I see the photos, it's mid-'50s or later, probably closer to 1960. I like how the body says 7 1/4, but the tags are both 7 3/8.:eusa_doh:

Fine Knox Panama, Scott.

Brad

Thanks, Brad! I have had several Borsalinos where the size-tag didn't match the tag under the sweat

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
My recent eBay find

Picked up this Knox Custom off of eBay about a month ago for about $35 all in. Great conditions. Fit perfect. Brushed it, misted it, took a diamond bash like it was made for it, very pleased with this hat! It's a charcoal with a bit of brownish tint and a black band.

Knox2.jpg

Knox3.jpg

Knox4.jpg

Knox5.jpg

Knox1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo