Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the search for serge

dit dah

One of the Regulars
no not Monsieur Gainsburg, but the worsted twill fabric used in the uniforms of yesteryear.

I know there are mills in West Yorkshire, England, where it is still made to a vintage spec but I don't know who they are.

Does anyone, anywhere, know where one might purchase a few yards of said yarnage in order to have fashioned a suitable suit or two?

Navy blue, of course, and chocolate brown.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Serge yardage has me stumped.

I've found a note in my archive about fabric ref: ST220 in the Robtex book (Who knows what date? Or where you'll source it.) It's a 17/18 oz mid-blue that's a bit lighter than your military serge but would be hard wearing. There may be a darker Robtex one. See if your friendly local tailor can help.

You can get some ready-made RN serge trou's here. I had a pair delivered this morning. They're a good fit and stout as anything.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks chaps.

I'd spotted those RN numbers during my search but good to hear that they fit well, thanks.

I'll try Smith & Co.

I know that grumpy pseudo vintage garb makers "Old Town" have serge made for them in Yorkshire but the chances of them telling me where seem to be nil.

They are the polar opposite of Aero and subscribe to the Basil Fawlty school of customer care.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I know people who have bought New Pattern greatcoats and turned them successfully into convincing WW2 suits. Obviously, for blue you'd need the RAF coat. I understand that you can get a 3 piece suit out of 2 greatcoats, total cost in a shop 40GBP.

dit dah said:
no not Monsieur Gainsburg, but the worsted twill fabric used in the uniforms of yesteryear.

I know there are mills in West Yorkshire, England, where it is still made to a vintage spec but I don't know who they are.

Does anyone, anywhere, know where one might purchase a few yards of said yarnage in order to have fashioned a suitable suit or two?

Navy blue, of course, and chocolate brown.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Now that is certainly food for thought. This had crossed my mind but I'd assumed that the various seams etc in the coats would prevent this. I presume some judicious recutting and shaping is required, not to mention a dash of patience and broadmindedness .

I can only image the tailors face if I turn up with an armful of coats. Do you have any more details of this as it's a damn fine idea?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
dit dah said:
Thanks chaps.

I know that grumpy pseudo vintage garb makers "Old Town" have serge made for them in Yorkshire but the chances of them telling me where seem to be nil.

They are the polar opposite of Aero and subscribe to the Basil Fawlty school of customer care.

I found them welcoming, friendly and helpful when visiting and ordering recently.

H.Johnson said:
I know people who have bought New Pattern greatcoats and turned them successfully into convincing WW2 suits.

Were they also making copies of official documents using potato prints? :eek:

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Strangely enough, that is exactly where they got the idea from. It was common practice to make a civilian suit from greatcoats in POW camps, as reported in books of that genre.

It will be easier with postwar RAF coats as the backs have bigger panels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart