Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The season of scrooge: christmas songs you love to hate

wsc

New in Town
1. eartha kitt / madonna santa baby, although i do like michael bubles tounge in cheek guys version
2. jose feleciano (sp?) feliz navidad,maybe his light my fire remake turned my off him forever
3. any thing made in the last 30 years
just the start of a long list of fingernails on the chalkboard

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The pert little Gayla Peevey's obnoxious "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas", which is too precious by half.

I'd also consign jittle Jimmy Boyd's equally annoying "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" to a well deserved oblivion.

Spike Jone' private recording of a -er- SIMILAR number ain't half bad, though.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Feliz Navidad.
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.
That monstrosity "by" the Chipmunks.
And while I like many new compositions from the last 30 years, pretty much anything popping up in modern cartoons or other Christmas productions. Animation used to be a font for wonderful songs. Now, everything sounds the same, and bland at that. Side note: the Monty Python musical Spamalot actually has a production called "The Song that Goes Like This"!

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
That tune about the Christmas donkey. Heard it today and had a sudden urge to throw something at the speakers.
Feliz Navidad was a standing joke in our office for several years. One of my coworkers (who also hated it) would hear it on the radio and turn up the volume. This immediately resulted in a round of phaser fire (yes, I take a toy phaser to work) directed toward his cube. He retired this year. I miss that Christmas tradition.:)

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I hear a lot of you don't like "Feliz Navidad" and this is your God given right but why dislike someone saying Happy Christmas?or is it just the music?someone want to enlighten me Thxs

I hear a lot of you don't like "Feliz Navidad" and this is your God given right but why dislike someone saying Happy Christmas?or is it just the music?someone want to enlighten me Thxs
Some songs are beat to death even more than the others are beat to death. I thought for a second you were going to say it was racist, then I was gonna blow! :)People who hate saying "Merry Christmas" are like those that say they "don't own/watch TV". Big fat whatever to them.

During the holiday season it seems like all the radio stations around here play is Feliz Navidad, Jingle Bell Rock and Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree as if those were the only Christmas songs ever written. :eusa_doh:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Yes Miss Lizzie "Silent Night" is a nice song and more toward the traditional type that is almost nonprevalent in our society anymore.Welcome to the age of "Political Correctness"

I can't imagine what political correctness has to do with it (but then that's a term that is all but meaningless, in my opinion), but there's nothing new about popular artists favoring songs that celebrate the secular side of Christmas over sacred ones. I have searched high and low for holidays recordings of the 1920s, '30s and '40s, and the vast majority of those I've found (I have dozens) are pop songs that either celebrate winter and/or the Christmas season (with few specific references) or songs about Santa Claus. There are many recordings from those decades of Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland, and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, but not nearly as many of What Child Is This, Silent Night, and the like.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I can't imagine what political correctness has to do with it (but then that's a term that is all but meaningless, in my opinion), but there's nothing new about popular artists favoring songs that celebrate the secular side of Christmas over sacred ones. I have searched high and low for holidays recordings of the 1920s, '30s and '40s, and the vast majority of those I've found (I have dozens) are pop songs that either celebrate winter and/or the Christmas season (with few specific references) or songs about Santa Claus. There are many recordings from those decades of Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland, and Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, but not nearly as many of What Child Is This, Silent Night, and the like.
Strictly meant because it isn't even "Politically Correct" to say the word Christmas any longer it's fine to mention the commercial side of the "Holiday Season" but just look at how many people get up in arms when you start talking about the meaning of it that is what I was refering to with that statement Skyvue.Business owners asking staff to say Happy Holiday instead of the traditional Merry Christmas so they don't offend anyone to me that's "Political Correctness"I would hazard a guess that is why we hear far more of the secular songs compared to sacred ones also.IMHO

Last edited:
Strictly meant because it isn't even "Politically Correct" to say the word Christmas any longer it's fine to mention the commercial side of the "Holiday Season" but just look at how many people get up in arms when you start talking about the meaning of it that is what I was refering to with that statement Skyvue.Business owners asking staff to say Happy Holiday instead of the traditional Merry Christmas so they don't offend anyone to me that's "Political Correctness"I would hazard a guess that is why we hear far more of the secular songs compared to sacred ones also.IMHO
X2I'm an agnostic, but I was raised Methodist and love the Christmas season. Admittedly, "religion" has been it's own worst enemy, turning people off all by themselves. I also have some family & friends whom are "born again". No offense meant, but they drive me nuts. I separate the two factions. I've no issue with people who possess faith. I just don't like people who ruin it and those that are intolerant of faith. Again, the extremists on both sides ruin just about everything.

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
X2I'm an agnostic, but I was raised Methodist and love the Christmas season. Admittedly, "religion" has been it's own worst enemy, turning people off all by themselves. I also have some family & friends whom are "born again". No offense meant, but they drive me nuts. I separate the two factions. I've no issue with people who possess faith. I just don't like people who ruin it and those that are intolerant of faith. Again, the extremists on both sides ruin just about everything.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. I see things much the same as you and NO faith or even lack of faith is with out it's zealots, fanatics and bigots. No matter what walk of life you enter you find people who hate others for not seeing things the way they do.

As for Christmas music... "hippopotamus for Christmas" is with out a doubt the single most irritating Christmas song there is. It manages to turn my stomach.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
You're right Butte religion doesn't come without it's faults and it's zealots and nut jobs my only thought on the whole concept is that Western Civilization was founded on Christian beliefs and now people tell us we're not allowed to voice them.It doesn't bother me if someone prays to Buddah or Allah or to whoever they wish to but why do those same people criticize the Christian faith and try to change our beliefs and traditions to suit themselves.If you don't like it here then pack your suitcase and go somewhere else,they want all that America or Canada has to offer but then they try to change what they don't like about us?I'm probably the farthest thing from a religious man,I do have a brother that's a Salvation Army preacher and another younger one that's your typical fire and brimstone holy roller born again and we went to Sunday School when we were younger but that's about the extent of it personally.I'm a staunch believer in "Live And Let Live"as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.Do you think for 1 minute you could go to an Eastern country and demand that they change their religion or traditions to suit yourself? OK back to regular programming the rant is done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran