Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shadow's Fedora...

The Dude

New in Town
I'm actually looking into a mix between a Baldwin-movie-style and classic comic(?) costume of The Shadow for Halloween/convention purposes. I was told about a place that can custom make a Shadow-style hat for relatively cheap. Once I pick the custom job up, I'll post some pictures.

I have considered modifying existing hats, as you guys have done. Namely a slouch hat, but I've noticed a few other options which just might work. Thank you for the inspiration.

I'll have to get a picture of me in my own fedora. :D

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Yes, bro- if you can, find you a $5.50 Amish hat like I did and steam the bejeezus out of it. Or a big ol' black cowboy hat. Be cheap, I mean frugal.

friskojack

New in Town
The Shadow's Hat

Top of the day, gents,

I saw a discussion of the shadow's hat in the archive and thought I'd contribute what I picked up from a book called, 'The Duende History of the Shadow Magazine'. As I remember from what I read (bear in mind that it's been about 30 years) there was, indeed, a prototype of the hat. One of the people at Street & Smith supposedly found it in a thrift shop. The book said that it was never allowed to leave the office. I guess that the artists worked from sketches that they made right there.

It was evidently not the only one, because the book also spoke of an oddball fan who physically resembled the character and would show up at the place, dressed in identical garb, although in gray instead of black.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'd say take off the bound edge and replace the ribbon with a narrower open road width one and you're set.

theshadow005.jpg

Shadow-1937.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I agree with M.D., that should make it pretty close.
I was always thrown off by how wide the ribbon was on the Alec Baldwin Shadow hat.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
I can't find it but I thought I read somewhere that Art Fawcett supplied the clothing for the shadow. So its very possible he supplied the hat to.

Jamie Burns

New in Town
Boys, I am comin' a little late to this party, but I have here what I believe to be a faithful replica of the infamous fedora of Lamont Cranston's alter-ego-

theshadow005.jpg

theshadow002.jpg

theshadow004.jpg

theshadow003.jpg

This started out as an Amish hat made by Flying Cloud. I got it VERY cheap, although it is a well-made hat- built like a tank and about as pliable. Stiffest hat I ever encountered- felt like it was carved out of wood, only lighter.

Anyway, it wasn't going to get worn, by me anyway. So, after seeing this thread, I decided to re-invent my Amish hat as something a bit more exciting, a bit noir. So I opened the crown up, which took some doing. Got it nice and round then proceeded to crease it. After studying a bunch of Shadow portrayals, it seemed to me that what was wanted was a good deep center crease with VERY exaggerated dents on the side- almost a cattleman's crease but flared out at the top as you see.
1102102581708080_10.jpg
I need to hit it with another good wallop of steam and get the dents set in a little deeper- they popped back out a little. Like I said, Flying Cloud must buy their stiffener by the tanker-truck load. The 3 1/2" brim is slightly curled in back and a bit more so in front. The ribbon is about the right width. All in all, I think it is a pretty good rendition.

would you consider selling your awesome shoadow hat as am cosplaying him and cant find any cheap amish hat here in the uk?

Indiana Funzi

New in Town
I know this thread has not been visited for a while, but I want to take part to the discussion because one of my hats is an excellent choice if someone wants to get something very close to the original Fedora worn by Alec Baldwin in "The Shadow". I attach a couple of pictures.

It's a beautiful Fedora handmade by Sterkowski of Poland in wool. The brim is very wide, it's 3'' or 7,5 cm, and the crown is around 5'', which is also very tall for this kind of hats. It can be easily shaped and personalized according to everyone's taste. I think it's one of the best options available for a good replica of the original!
04 Fedora.JPG
04 Fedora.JPG The Shadow Fedora.JPG

Edward

Bartender
A repurposed Western with a steamed and flattened brim might also be a good one for the Baldwin Shadow hat: that very wide brim was a distinct feature. (I guess it helped make the Shadow's hat stand out in a world where hat-wearing was the norm.)

Indiana Funzi

New in Town
A repurposed Western with a steamed and flattened brim might also be a good one for the Baldwin Shadow hat: that very wide brim was a distinct feature. (I guess it helped make the Shadow's hat stand out in a world where hat-wearing was the norm.)
I agree with you, although there is a limit to the idea since not every one is very practical with customizing hats. I am getting into the field these days and practicing with all the Fedora's I have around the house, but if my skills are limited, then think of someone who has no clue whatsoever!

Indiana Funzi

New in Town
In the wave of my enthusiasm, I wanna share these pictures with you! It's my complete The Shadow's outfit!

Attachments

• 01 The Shadow.JPG
    01 The Shadow.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 1,469
  • 02 The Shadow.JPG
    02 The Shadow.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 04 The Shadow.JPG
    04 The Shadow.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 1,364

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Excellent look, Funzi! I think one could also get a Borsalino Hassidic hat and make it work for the look. I have one myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy