Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shadow's Fedora...

Warbaby

One Too Many
I was looking at some old illustrations of The Shadow from the 30s and became fascinated by his fedora. It has an interesting bash that I've never seen on a real hat and I'm wondering if there was ever a real hat like this. In the illustrations, which are very consistant over several years, the bash seems to be sort of squeezed in near the top of the crown.

Forget those Indiana Jones fedoras - I want a Shadow Hat.

Shadow-1932.jpg

Shadow-1934.jpg

Shadow-1935.jpg

Shadow-1937.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
tall, square, shallow domed '20s style crown, deep, wide centerdent, shallow pinches front and back. I have something that gives a similar effect on a '20s widebrim transitional homburg/fedora type deal.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
From the way I look at it, the old pictures make it look like it was a much wider than standard brim (3.5" maybe?).

For what it's worth, I have an Akubra Bushman that I bashed myself, that looks very similar to this hat (pure chance as this is the first time I have seen any old pictures of the Shadow) but it's brown rather than black.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Estimating from the illustrations, I'd guess at least 3.5" - maybe more. I can see how one could convert a high-crown cowboy hat into a Shadow Hat. I still wonder, though, if anyone ever wore a hat like that back in the day or if it's purely a figment of the illustrator's imagination.

Either way, I'm gonna start watching eBay for a black, high-crown cowboy hat...

Justdog

Practically Family
Brim

Fredthecat said:
The Shadow knows........that's the look that started me on hats. Wonder how wide that brim is.
Has to be at least 3 1/2 as it is pretty much the same wiidth as my gus western.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
That's a very nice hat, Duck. But I think one of the definitive things about the Shadow's hat (and it IS a painting!) is the relatively straight sides and that flare on the top AND IN THE BACK. Plus, it seems like the left side of the crease on top is higher than the right...?

Don't do the nose job, man. Don't go there.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Found a couple of things that may help in the quest....
Of course the series took a number of forms from radio to pulp to tv to the movies. The most idealized hats were the comic or pulp covers where the crown of the hat is deformed. It almost apears as if the hat has had a wee bit if shrinkage. In the serials and earlier movies it was a more normal fedora.

1940's series:
shadow_poster_1940_serial.jpg

A bust of the comic/pulp Shadow:

shadow_bust-lg.jpg

shadow_bust-sd1.jpg

shadow_bust-sd2.jpg

shadow_bust-bk.jpg

shadow_bust-box-fr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member