Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shaving Soap Controversy

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Old Spice. I love Old Spice. The new Old Spice is not your fathers Old Spice.

I grew up using Old Spice. I used all their products from shaving soap to hair shampoo to talcum. Just loved it. Even the girls used to tell me, "Oh, you smell s-o-o good." Alas, its gone. The original supplier Shulton sold out sometime many years ago. I don't know about the history of the company or fragrances but sometime in the 1970s it seems manufacturers began selling these new deoderants and fragrances that absolutely reek. I myself have over time developed an allergy to a lot of chemicals such as paints, cleaning agents, seaslants, and...deoderants. A lot of recently developed deoderants apparently contain highly refined petrochemicals and are the source of serious allergic reactions. Me included. I think some of them are or could be classified as toxic hazards.

Searching the web I find what I would call a contoversy over what happened to Old Spice, trying to find replacements for Old Spice, as well as trying to find decent shaving soap without fragrances to eliminate the stink of the new fragrances but still be quality soaps. Anybody else notice this controversy?

sal

One of the Regulars
I agree with you regarding the "new" fragrances. I do not use them. I do however use the lovely imported shave creams,I prefer creams over soaps, typically Trumpers, or Trufitt and Hill. Very subtle fragrance and certainly not overpowering.
Head on over to www.shavemyface.com. Great bunch of folks and very knowledgable.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
If you have a Bath & Body Works nearby, try their C O Bigelow shave cream. It is made by Proraso and has a very mild scent. Delivers a very nice shave as well.

Lgrant

New in Town
I have been buying my shaving soap from Em's Place, http://www.emsplace.com/ . It has glycerin in it, which makes it feel very nice, it comes in all sorts of scents, including unscented. It is a lot less expensive than the stuff you get at the upscale shaving supply places in the malls, and shaves a lot better. She also has an extensive selection of shaving brushes and mugs.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
Mt favorites right now are Speick, Proraso and TOBS Eton College. Yeah the folks that bought the Old Spice name have definitely changed the formula of it. There is a company in India that is making a clone of the original that is supposed to be pretty good, but I've never tried it myself.

There is a gentleman on The Shave Nook that isn't just a fan of Old Spice, but has a outright Old Spice problem! Have a look at this; http://shavenook.com/thread-some-of-my-old-spice-accumulation

furious

New in Town
Colonel Conk Bay Rum is an excellent shaving soap that I have been using for quite some time.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I use Mystic Water soaps and I'm very happy with any of the scents that I've used. None of the scents are overpowering.

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed on the Speick and Proraso shaving creams. TOBS make excellent shaving creams. I've used their rose and avocado scents and they are mild yet pleasant fragrances. There seems to be no shortage of a replacement for a lackluster product.

MB5

One of the Regulars
I use Proraso ultra sensitive skin shaving soap which seems to be very light on the scent, though it seems it has been discontinued and replaced with a similar product which I have no first hand knowledge of.

Rider

Familiar Face
My favorites are Tabac & Mitchell's Wool Fat. Cella is also quite nice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21