Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Soda Thread: Coke not Classic; Throwback Pepsi

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I've limited my coke drinking because I get throbbing headaches too if I don't have my 'fix'. So I weened myself over a week and now I drink mostly water. But I must try this 'throwback' thing. I've never had soda pop with real sugar! Unless I drank some on mistake... I might've.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lady Jessica said:
I've limited my coke drinking because I get throbbing headaches too if I don't have my 'fix'. So I weened myself over a week and now I drink mostly water. But I must try this 'throwback' thing. I've never had soda pop with real sugar! Unless I drank some on mistake... I might've.

The throbbing headaches are probably from caffeine withdrawal.
Coffee drinkers can go thru the same thing...

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I know, but if I stop drinking it all together, no more headaches. So I stop, usually, when I start to experience headaches. Or ween myself.

Anyway, I bought some Pepsi Throwback at the store today. As far as I can tell, it doesn't make my mouth taste funky after drinking it. And it tastes good, but forgive me because it doesn't taste much different. [huh]

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Another one with Cane Sugar?

Red Bull Cola. NO, it does not have all of the B vitamins, Taurine, etc etc- it's cola made with cane sugar, plus other things like cinnamon, licorice root, cardamon, good stuff!

I think HFCS will go down in history as one of the leading causes of the obesity epidemic in America. I hope....

ortega76

Practically Family
dakotanorth said:
Red Bull Cola. NO, it does not have all of the B vitamins, Taurine, etc etc- it's cola made with cane sugar, plus other things like cinnamon, licorice root, cardamon, good stuff!

I think HFCS will go down in history as one of the leading causes of the obesity epidemic in America. I hope....

Way too bitter. It was almost like drinking cough medicine. I would like to try it as a mixer with whiskey.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
just tried throwback

Only pepsi, I wasn't impressed, it was kinda good but it didn't taste too different, unlike cane sugar coke, I love that stuff, the pepsi was good but not worth the extra fifty cents.

are all stores charging extra for throwback or is the store I went to just stupid.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
bobalooba said:
Only pepsi, I wasn't impressed, it was kinda good but it didn't taste too different, unlike cane sugar coke, I love that stuff, the pepsi was good but not worth the extra fifty cents.

are all stores charging extra for throwback or is the store I went to just stupid.

I know I could only find it in cans, so... I bought one of those big ones you put in your fridge for three dollars. I looked for it in a two liter, but we only had regular and diet in those.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
1938 Federal Food Drug & Cosmetic Act

Lady Jessica said:
I know, but if I stop drinking it all together, no more headaches. So I stop, usually, when I start to experience headaches. Or ween myself.

Anyway, I bought some Pepsi Throwback at the store today. As far as I can tell, it doesn't make my mouth taste funky after drinking it. And it tastes good, but forgive me because it doesn't taste much different. [huh]

Well thats not surprising, The Soda manufacturers introduced the HFCS, and most people didnt notice much difference in the taste BUT some people noticed the aftertastes, and the links to health issues.

Take artificial food coloring. It usually does effect the taste, but health concerns arose & now the govt monitors articifial dyes and their effects:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/212658/food-colouring
In the United States the nature and purity of the dyes used in food colouring first became the subject of legislation in 1906. In 1938 the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act was passed, giving food colouring additives numbers (e.g., Amaranth was renamed FD&C Red No. 2) and requiring certification of each batch of colouring. Dyes again became the focus of controversy in the 1950s because the excessive use of certain dyes produced illness. While natural, or vegetable, colourings are generally considered safe, the potential hazards of artificial and synthetic colourings continue to be a subject of controversy. Modern testing methods demonstrated the toxic effects of some colour ingredients previously considered harmless. As a result, many countries have deleted these substances from their lists of approved additives. In the United States the Color Additives Amendments were passed in 1960. Among the colours that have been “delisted,” or disallowed, in the United States are FD&C Orange No. 1; FD&C Red No. 32; FD&C Yellows No. 1, 2, 3, and 4; FD&C Violet No. 1; and FD&C Reds No. 2 and 4. Many countries with similar food colouring controls (including Canada and Great Britain) also ban the use of Red No. 40, and Yellow No. 5 is also undergoing testing.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
coke in mixed drinks for summer

Spotted this in the paper today:
COLA Rum and Coca-Cola, the Andrews Sisters sang. America sang along. And drank along. And it was good. What happened? Maybe our tastes changed. Coca-Cola certainly did — around 1900, when the drink was invented, Coke contained cane sugar (and cocaine, but that’s another story). Now it has high-fructose corn syrup, a viscous, unwelcome intruder in a Cuba Libre. But some new colas on the market contain restrained amounts of cane sugar, and a mildly bitter presence of kola nut. This sets the stage for an overdue revival of the Cuba Libre. To make one, mix two ounces of un-aged rum and the juice of half a small lime in a tall glass, build a tower of ice cubes, and top it off with the driest cola you can buy. The rind of the half lime is optional. A straw is not.
FULL STORY

24guidecola_190.jpg

Hear the 1944 song on a 78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNp1erXS00g

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now if they only brought glass bottles back. The cans (which are now lined with some type of plastic) taste funny to me. Maybe they were always lined with plastic. The solution is glass bottles!

(You can buy single bottles of the sugar-only coke in our grocery store here, from the Mexican section. They are very expensive however. But I would LOVE if Pepsi throwback was available in the old glass bottles).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just a reminder that Passover Coke, made with real sugar, is now on sale in most supermarkets in the Northeast -- look for the yellow cap with Hebrew writing on the top. It'll probably be displayed apart from the regular red-capped Coke, and there won't be much of it, so if you like The Real Stuff, don't miss your chance.

3479_passover_Coke_cap.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner