Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Soda Thread: Coke not Classic; Throwback Pepsi

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Lately I've been drinking coke that's made with sugar cane instead of the fructose corn syrup.
I also prefer the glass bottles instead of the aluminum cans or plastic .

I read that coke was originally made using sugar cane & have switched to using the high
fructose syrup.

As for the glass bottles, I believe it holds the carbonation better than aluminum cans or
plastic bottles.

This information is certified as genuine opinion &
no animal was injured in the making of this reply !

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I found a 4 pack of Dr. Pepper in glass bottles made with sugar the other week in the store. They hit the spot after a long, hot day working.

That sir is going to require a search on my part.
I only have 2 days left in this market, so I'm going to do a search at the local grocery. Although I might drive 25mi to the next largest town just in case.
I wasn't aware of different markets until I started coming to central TX. I found chips, sodas, beer, and other items we don't have in TN. These aren't local items such as the soda Lizzie mentioned, these are from major brands like Coke, Pepsi, and Frito-Lay. Each time I come here, I buy the A-1 with Tabasco, although I saw a Tabasco brand steak sauce this morning at the town grocery. Yeah, I need both.
It always seems like I take more groceries home than I bring down. :D

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do any of you fine folk outside of Australia have Passiona? Love that stuff! (in great moderation!)

One thing that bugs me here is the proliferation of 'energy drinks' loaded with sugar and caffeine. Worst of all, though, is that you can only now get Mountain Dew here with caffeine in it as an energy drink. My 9-year-old daughter always enjoyed Mountain Dew on special occasions like her
birthday, but now I won't let her have it loaded with caffeine! What a bunch of deadbeats they are for putting that stuff in there.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good points Benny.
Kids don't need all that stuff in their bodies.
In the 1970's the sodas had sugar in them, and nothing weird like the ones today.
I remember a friend of mine had to drink Sugar Free Dr. Pepper.
drpepper.jpg
Loved the color of the can, but hated the taste. I think he had some sort of physical problem, and sugar would make it worse, it wasn't diabetes though.
Back when I was a kid, Mt Dew WAS the energy drink. :D

Feraud

Bartender
One thing that bugs me here is the proliferation of 'energy drinks' loaded with sugar and caffeine. Worst of all, though, is that you can only now get Mountain Dew here with caffeine in it as an energy drink. My 9-year-old daughter always enjoyed Mountain Dew on special occasions like her
birthday, but now I won't let her have it loaded with caffeine! What a bunch of deadbeats they are for putting that stuff in there.

I find the proliferation of energy drinks disturbing. The number of energy drinks, gels, powders, bars, etc. combined with those awful commercials urging everyone to go, go, get it done.
As I look around most people aren't that productive. Hardly anyone I know has a proper hobby. People are constantly looking for ways to "save time". All for what? More time on the internet? It's bizarre..

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's just another aspect of the Culture of Intoxication. Rather than reexamine your life and figure out where you're wasting your time and what you can actually do to improve your situation, the Boys from Marketing tell you to just take this drink, this pill, this substance and you won't have to bother with anything else.

itsbruce

Familiar Face
It's just a more youth-oriented version of the big multivitamin marketing swindle. Younger people have been suckered by the marketing of these new products but the previous generations - in the U.S. at least and to a lesser extent in the U.K. - are uselessly popping multivitamin pills every day and making the pharmaceutical companies a mint.

The marketing of the energy drinks has two main features: firstly, the lie that they are healthy, stimulating and signify an active lifestyle (in truth, they are not much different to Lucozade); secondly, an air of rebelliousness, seediness and daring. All nonsense, of course, but effective.

Last edited:
I find the proliferation of energy drinks disturbing. The number of energy drinks, gels, powders, bars, etc. combined with those awful commercials urging everyone to go, go, get it done.
As I look around most people aren't that productive. Hardly anyone I know has a proper hobby. People are constantly looking for ways to "save time". All for what? More time on the internet? It's bizarre..

I've noticed that phenomenon for quite some time. The people who tell you they don't have time for anything anymore are very often the same folks who can bend your ear about their favorite reality show. :doh:

It's just a more youth-oriented version of the big multivitamin marketing swindle. Younger people have been suckered by the marketing of these new products but the previous generations - in the U.S. at least and to a lesser extent in the U.K. - are uselessly popping multivitamin pills every day and making the pharmaceutical companies a mint.

It's just like the proliferation of diet supplements because most people can't be bothered to change their eating habits. "We've put the equivalent of 300 servings of kale in just one capsule so go ahead and wolf down that mountain of Big Macs!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

I'm a tennis freak 24-7 active player....

I guess that would be considered a "hobby".

What does this have to do with the topic "the soda"...

Well...I'm also a soda freak.

And I like to think that because of my tennis...I haven't developed a huge gut & have
maintained a slim figure even after drinking all that sweet sugar water.

Or perhaps I have it all wrong & I'm kidding myself & it's doing me harm ! :eusa_doh:

I'm a tennis freak 24-7 active player....

I guess that would be considered a "hobby".

What does this have to do with the topic "the soda"...

Well...I'm also a soda freak.

And I like to think that because of my tennis...I haven't developed a huge gut & have
maintained a slim figure even after drinking all that sweet sugar water.

Or perhaps I have it all wrong & I'm kidding myself & it's doing me harm ! :eusa_doh:

I suspect for most people if they spent more time playing anything and less time ranting on the computer about the dangers of HFCS, sugar and artificial sweeteners, it probably wouldn't matter much to them what they drank.

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We've had a big problem in the nightclubs in the heart of Sydney because young guys in their late teens-early 20s (legal drinking age here is 18) start drinking at home, then go out into town and keep drinking, mixing alcohol with energy drinks. Rather than get tired and slow down, the energy drinks (upper) on top of the booze (depressant) make them wide awake and aggressive, and so major violence ensues every evening. Every night on the news reports it's the same story: violent drunken assaults in Kings Cross or George Street, often with deaths resulting. It's tragic.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Frostie Root Beer with cane sugar.
I found them at the one grocery store in my FIL's town.
A 4 pack so I bought 2 of them for the trip home.
I opened one about 10am around East Texas, and it was ice cold. :cheers1:
With cane sugar instead of HFCS this brought back memories!
When I go to the grocery store tomorrow, I'm going to look for them at our Kroger and Walmart.
If we aren't in the market I'm going to be pi**ed.
Oh well, I'm going back to TX in a few months and I'll just buy out the store's stock. :D
Also, I checked into the Dr. Pepper with sugar claim (by someone else in this thread).
My FIL was with Frito Lay, and kept up with the industry for years.
He said there WAS a factory in Dublin Tx, that made it with sugar.
Apparently people would order these Dr's Peppers by the case.
I read a moment ago that the Snapple division will be selling the product, but only in limited areas.
However, the Dublin site has other nice drinks I may try.
Grape soda, Blueberry Soda, and Cheerwine, all with Imperial Sugar.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There's shoe shop in Texas that sells the CoCa-Cola 6 oz. glass bottles for 10¢...
The only catch is that you can only buy them to drink at the store while you shop .

I bought this @ Ace hardware store & keep it stocked with 6 oz. glass coke bottles.
1zl573d.jpg

But lately I've been drinking this :
o8xyyb.png

My first love was the Dr. Pepper soda in glass bottles that was made in the 1950s...
My dad was mgr. of the local Dr. Pepper Bottling plant in my hometown.
My mom hated the drink...said it tasted like "prune juice".

I still recall the aroma of the syrup/bottles/machines pumping the carbonation into
glass bottles with caps at the plant.

Somehow this Dr. B reminds me a little of the original Dr. Pepper.

But it's an acquired taste...& not recommended unless you are a Dr. Pepperholic...:eeek:

Frostie Root Beer with cane sugar.
I found them at the one grocery store in my FIL's town.
A 4 pack so I bought 2 of them for the trip home.
I opened one about 10am around East Texas, and it was ice cold. :cheers1:
With cane sugar instead of HFCS this brought back memories!
When I go to the grocery store tomorrow, I'm going to look for them at our Kroger and Walmart.
If we aren't in the market I'm going to be pi**ed.
Oh well, I'm going back to TX in a few months and I'll just buy out the store's stock. :D
Also, I checked into the Dr. Pepper with sugar claim (by someone else in this thread).
My FIL was with Frito Lay, and kept up with the industry for years.
He said there WAS a factory in Dublin Tx, that made it with sugar.
Apparently people would order these Dr's Peppers by the case.
I read a moment ago that the Snapple division will be selling the product, but only in limited areas.
However, the Dublin site has other nice drinks I may try.
Grape soda, Blueberry Soda, and Cheerwine, all with Imperial Sugar.

The Dr Pepper bottler in Dublin was one of several that still made Dr Pepper using the original formula, but it was the most popular. They got into trouble with the parent company a few years ago for marketing their product as "Dublin Dr Pepper", with a different logo, and for selling outside of their distribution area. They finally got squeezed out of the Dr Pepper business. The irony, of course, is that that most of the Dublin Dr Pepper wasn't even made at the Dublin plant, it was contracted by another plant in Temple, which made and sold the exact same stuff to other distributors. You can still get the original Dr Pepper made with Imerpial Sugar, pretty much everywhere around here.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I looked in Caldwell (where my inlaws live) and only saw Dr Pepper with HFCS.
In fact, they had a 6 pack in glass bottles, but I checked the label...HFCS.
I'll go back in November, and look then.
This time I'll check the Kroger in Bryan.
They have Tofurkey, why wouldn't they have Dr. Pepper with sugar?
Plus they have a better beer selection than Brookshire Brothers in Caldwell. :D

I looked in Caldwell (where my inlaws live) and only saw Dr Pepper with HFCS.
In fact, they had a 6 pack in glass bottles, but I checked the label...HFCS.
I'll go back in November, and look then.
This time I'll check the Kroger in Bryan.
They have Tofurkey, why wouldn't they have Dr. Pepper with sugar?
Plus they have a better beer selection than Brookshire Brothers in Caldwell. :D

Let me know when you're coming back. I'll hook you up. We'll even knock back a few Shiners.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Let me know when you're coming back. I'll hook you up. We'll even knock back a few Shiners.
Thanks!
As long as I don't come into the inlaws house unsteady on my feet, and saying how much I hate "I Love Lucy."
If I do that, my MIL will hook me up with a few shiners too. :D

I meant to write when I got there last Sunday, but it was a workation because of my FIL's hospital stay.
Next time I hope things will be less hectic.
Renault is also somewhat close by, so we might plan this out well enough for all 3 of us to meet.
Of course I'm partial to Sodolak's Meat Masters, I'm also a fan of Mexican restaurants.

BTW I checked a few stores in our town, and apparently we aren't in the Frostie market.
Dern it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass