Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Soda Thread: Coke not Classic; Throwback Pepsi

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yes I think you are right...also for some reason the glass bottled pop seems a bit more creamy and sweet!
Plastic bottled you can taste and the cans also...sort of nasty compared to the glass.

Sad but true.
Same thing when I go to a place to eat where they prepare the food & a fast food restaurant
that brings in the ready made product in bulk amounts. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
I used to work in a can factory. If you ever see one made, you might not want to drink out of one again.

Kind of like sausages, then?

I'm not a big soda drinker. If I ever do, it's usually a Buffalo Rock (a locally produced ginger ale which is apparently waaay to strong for anyone raised outside AL, I on the other hand have no taste for the bitter, watery stuff like Canada Dry) or the occasional orange drank.

Here's a funny story to illustrate American's soda drinking habits. A few years ago my wife and I were in Ukraine. Most restaurants sold Coke in those little bitty glass bottles. For about the same price you could get a big (500ml) beer. One night we were out for dinner, and my wife got a coke. When I decided to have a third beer, she asked the waitress for a second Coke (they WERE the little kind, after all). The waitress flipped, she gave my wife a talk about too much soda, then told the bartender in disbelief that the American woman wanted ANOTHER CocaCola! He then came out to the table, just to make sure that is really what she wanted to do.
We laughed and laughed, and still do, about the incident. No one thought the least about how much beer I was drinking, but they couldn't believe someone would actually drink TWO Cokes in one sitting.

Kind of like sausages, then?

I'm not a big soda drinker. If I ever do, it's usually a Buffalo Rock (a locally produced ginger ale which is apparently waaay to strong for anyone raised outside AL, I on the other hand have no taste for the bitter, watery stuff like Canada Dry) or the occasional orange drank.

Here's a funny story to illustrate American's soda drinking habits. A few years ago my wife and I were in Ukraine. Most restaurants sold Coke in those little bitty glass bottles. For about the same price you could get a big (500ml) beer. One night we were out for dinner, and my wife got a coke. When I decided to have a third beer, she asked the waitress for a second Coke (they WERE the little kind, after all). The waitress flipped, she gave my wife a talk about too much soda, then told the bartender in disbelief that the American woman wanted ANOTHER CocaCola! He then came out to the table, just to make sure that is really what she wanted to do.
We laughed and laughed, and still do, about the incident. No one thought the least about how much beer I was drinking, but they couldn't believe someone would actually drink TWO Cokes in one sitting.

Great story, Dale! lol We had a similar experience in Turkey.

By the way, there is a store here that stocks odd and unusual sodas. I'm Buffalo Rock fan for sure!

Great story, Dale! lol We had a similar experience in Turkey.

By the way, there is a store here that stocks odd and unusual sodas. I'm Buffalo Rock fan for sure!

Odd and unusual.....lol. The Buffalo Rock plant here in town is also the local Pepsi product contract bottler/distributor, so you can pretty much find it anywhere you find Pepsi. It seems odd and unusual to me when I'm somewhere else it's nowhere to be had. I guess it's like that with a lot of the local ones that are still around.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the Era, it wasn't uncommon for a town of less than 10,000 people to have its own local Coca-Cola bottler, serving an area of about 50 miles radius. Many of those bottlers handled a secondary line of fruit-flavored beverages -- "Down East Orange" was the big favorite around here -- but they had plenty of competition in that realm from other local bottlers with brands that didn't sell much beyond the city limits. Consolidation in the 70s and 80s put an end to that -- all Coke in Maine is now bottled in Massachusetts, and is shipped via Portland. And it tastes it, too.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody remember Stone Ginger Beer ? Canadian brewer O'Keefe decided to expand their product line to include soda pop during Prohibition. Here are some of their products.

Attachments

• okeefes_01.jpg
    okeefes_01.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 214

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Interesting thread.......I remember while stationed in Italy back in the mid-60s, most major brands of cigarettes, Marlboro, Winston, Camel; etc, where are packaged in Italy. The tobacco came from the US but the paper was Italian and packaged in Italy. Just below the filters was stamped 'Montial' meaning packaged in Italy packed with about 70% of the tobacco per cigarette of what was used to pack a cigarette in the states. If you didn't pack it down, light it and maybe two draws was all you got. Cigarettes back then were $1.20 carton in the commissary. Also, San Miguel beer. Brewed and bottle in Spain, Hong Kong, Manila and....the Philippines, the PI had two breweries and where it was bottled was on the label. Where the brewery was in the Philippines I don't know but it was far better than the one in Manila or any other place. Then there was Tiger 33, 'BA MUOI BA' out of Singapore that was the Vietnam Beer....American beer was off the black market. Tiger 33 had a reputation of drinking water while sitting, eating the floor when you stood up. Coke and Pepsi had different taste whatever country I was in. Italy's Coke was terrible..............

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Coca-Cola has never sold actual soda -- all they manufacture and sell directly is flavor concentrate, which is mixed with sugar and water by the regional bottler to make syrup, and then mixed with soda water to make the finished drink. The final product has subtle differences depending on the quality of the water used by the bottler, and whether the bottler uses sugar or corn syrup in making the syrup.

Pepsi, and all the other big soft-drink companies, work the same way. It's too costly to even ship syrup when you can ship just the concentrate for a fraction of that cost.

Coca-Cola has never sold actual soda -- all they manufacture and sell directly is flavor concentrate, which is mixed with sugar and water by the regional bottler to make syrup, and then mixed with soda water to make the finished drink. The final product has subtle differences depending on the quality of the water used by the bottler, and whether the bottler uses sugar or corn syrup in making the syrup.

Pepsi, and all the other big soft-drink companies, work the same way. It's too costly to even ship syrup when you can ship just the concentrate for a fraction of that cost.

That was exactly how it was when I worked for Coca Cola. You had several parts you had to mix though. It was kind of strange when they had caustic warnings on the formula A and B containers. lol lol

Cactus Cooler and Fanta Pineapple was the best stuff we kept on hand. :p I have no idea if the formulas have changed in 20 years though.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Cane sugar and fake sugar from a chrysanthemum like plant. :p lol lol

Actually ...it's not a chrysanthemmumunnnen...oh heck... :eusa_doh:

it's a composite herb native to South America (Genus Stevia, especially S. rebaudiana, native to
Paraguay) whose leaves are the source of a noncaloric sweetener.

Amazing how Mac can give me the "illusion" that I know what the heck I saying ! ;)

Actually ...it's not a chrysanthemmumunnnen...oh heck... :eusa_doh:

it's a composite herb native to South America (Genus Stevia, especially S. rebaudiana, native to
Paraguay) whose leaves are the source of a noncaloric sweetener.

Amazing how Mac can give me the "illusion" that I know what the heck I saying ! ;)

Yes but that plant is related to the Chrysanthemumumumumum. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav