Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the Stetson Chatham

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've been tossing around getting one of these. Anyone here have one? Hows the softness, durability ect, for a hat in it's price range. If not how bout starting to rate the store bought hats as far a quality here. Baily, Stetson, Dobbs, Biltmore...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
'Twas a Stetson Chatham that I left in a cab several years ago, which caused me to Google "Fedora" in an effort to find a replacement. The rest is history.
Anyway, I liked my Chatham. It's a good middle of the road fedora, If you like the style you can't go wrong.

DerMann

Practically Family
The Chatham was the second felt hat that I bought, and I love it.

The felt is on the thin side, but it's so smooth and pliable that I absolutely love it. The crown is a bit odd, though, as it tapers quite a bit and it's sort of short.

I don't think paying $140 for it would be a wise investment. I got mine on sale from Miller Hats ($100). If you're going to pay $140 for Stetson, go for the Nostalgia.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I have a Chatham and really like mine a lot. I think I paid about $140 for mine (I'm not sure) but if I did its plain to see I didn't regret it. Its a soft hat and its Sovereign quality.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the others.

I have one in Caribou grey - a very versatile, attractive color. I got rid of the ridiculously poofy feather, though and the tacky gold pin. I bought the Chatham for about $130 and a Stetson Temple for about $150 about a year ago. I'm glad I got the Chatham. I think the Temple was a mistake.

The sweatbands, though, in these modern hats are something akin to vinyl or contact paper or recycled milk jugs... I dunno' what the hell they make 'em out of but they aren't nice like vintage leather sweatbands. Still, a fairly minor quibble that hasn't caused me any trouble or kept me from wearing it frequently.

DSC_0079.jpg

I used some steam to lower the flip at the back of brim...
DSC_0006.jpg

...and to put a bit of a diamond effect in the crown:
DSC_0003.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
'Twas a Stetson Chatham that I left in a cab several years ago, which caused me to Google "Fedora" in an effort to find a replacement. The rest is history.
Anyway, I liked my Chatham. It's a good middle of the road fedora, If you like the style you can't go wrong.

I wonder how many hats cabbies find....

:mad:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and the irony with me is that although this is the second highest amount I've ever paid for a hat, it is an item that if I did lose it in a cab, for instance, I wouldn't be that upset. The reason is I could just order another. It's comforting in some cases to not worry whether I'm going to put one of my irreplaceable vintage hats at risk. My vintage hat purchases average about $35 each, but I'd hate to lose one of those 'originals'.

Duck

Practically Family
Stetson Chatham

I have one that I bought at Garland, Tx. Great hat. I also got a Stetson Downs that I really like. I wear it alot.

Stetson Downs
ST221040LS.gif

Duck

Practically Family
The Chatham is made from Sovereign Quality fur felt, while the Downs is made from Royal Quality fur felt. The Sovereign is supposed to be better, the hats are just about same measurements but the Sovereign is very soft.

duggap

Banned
Blackjack, I have the Sovereign and I got it from Bencraft for a good price. The hat is acceptable but I grew fonder of a higher crown hat and now can't stand to wear the Stetson. Be sure of the crown height you like or you will be like me, a hat you don't wear. [huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice hat

Yes, the Chatham has a low-ish crown, which is my preference. I really like my Chatham - the Sovereign felt is quite pliable and buttery. It is significantly softer than Royal quality. The crown is fairly stiff and holds the C-crown, the brim is quite flexible. I disagree that the felt is thin or that the crown is tapered - mine is about a year old, so maybe the hat mentioned is an older model. It is a great day-to-day hat which I wear at least a couple of times a week - mine is sage in color. I recommend it.

Currently there is a coupon code at noggintops that puts a Chatham at $112. I posted the info recently on the lounge here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=674465#post674465

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Duck said:
The Chatham is made from Sovereign Quality fur felt, while the Downs is made from Royal Quality fur felt. The Sovereign is supposed to be better, the hats are just about same measurements but the Sovereign is very soft.

I think the crown is a little bit taller on the Chatham. Also, I think Bencraft has a version with a wider brim.
I have a second hand Downs that serves as my beater. It does it's job well, and still looks good doing it.

HarpPlayerGene, I love what you did with that Chatham crown.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I have a green Chatham from my local guy. I also trashed the feather and it gets a lot of wear. The brim is shorter than I like but the hat is sturdy matches more of my clothes than I thought it would.

French

Familiar Face
good hat

My wife purchased me a Stetson Chatham for my birthday this year, and I'm very happy with the hat. I do not yet own a vintage fedora (I do have one on the way from Razzman!), but the Chatham is a good looking hat, soft felt, versatile color...everything that HarpPlayerGene said. I also have a Temple, which has been worn a lot over the past year, and it is holding up well (aside from a bit of taper).

Again, to echo HarpPlayerGene, my biggest complaint is the sweatband. The claim is it is leather, but, to me, it could easily be mistaken for a synthetic material.

French

Nolan

New in Town
I have the Sovereign as my everyday hat but would really love to find something a little heavier as well as a higher crown. Any suggestions?

duggap said:
Blackjack, I have the Sovereign and I got it from Bencraft for a good price. The hat is acceptable but I grew fonder of a higher crown hat and now can't stand to wear the Stetson. Be sure of the crown height you like or you will be like me, a hat you don't wear. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy