Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson One-Hundred "100"

Robieman

A-List Customer
^^^tags behind the sweatband?
Lot# on the inside of the sweatband?
More clues. The liner throws me.
Love the very thin ribbon!
Nice hat you have.
B
There are no tags behind the sweat or under the liner. However, it has something like chalk or grease pencil hand written numbers under the sweat, 314693 and in another location 7 1/8. Just under the edge of the liner at the rear, and on the inner of the crown, also hand written in this chalk/grease pencil is 69318. I have seen this liner in other hats, but in this thread I have not seen it on the 100's. I have attempted to research these as best I can. I figure it is at oldest 60's because of the size tag and plastic on the liner. But the liner itself is somewhat confusing, as well the crest on the sweat. Go figure huh!? Thanks for the thought and kind words.

Finally got a hold of a 100. Not sure of exact date, but sure it is 60's, as it has the black size tag,
You didn't say but is it a 3" brim? Skinny ribbon & all I'm thinking 1970's. Even though the liner is sewn in, the original could have been replaced on a refurb at some point. And you can't know if the original liner had stars or maple leaf. I have a 7XCB with a different liner sewn in at Shudde Bros & ink stamped REFURB on the backside of the sweat. Everything else is original.

Your One-Hundred is a very nice hat regardless of the liner.

Robieman

A-List Customer
You didn't say but is it a 3" brim? Skinny ribbon & all I'm thinking 1970's. Even though the liner is sewn in, the original could have been replaced on a refurb at some point. And you can't know if the original liner had stars or maple leaf. I have a 7XCB with a different liner sewn in at Shudde Bros & ink stamped REFURB on the backside of the sweat. Everything else is original.

Your One-Hundred is a very nice hat regardless of the liner.
I didn’t even think to measure the brim. Just did for curiosity. It is 2 3/4 measured on top, and 2 7/8 measured on bottom from where it meets the sweat. I really hadn’t thought about 70’s, but suppose it could be. Either way, it seems a nice hat and I am very pleased with it.
I appreciate your thoughts on it. Every bit of information is helpful. And as Emil Faber said “Knowledge is Good”!

There are no tags behind the sweat or under the liner. However, it has something like chalk or grease pencil hand written numbers under the sweat, 314693 and in another location 7 1/8. Just under the edge of the liner at the rear, and on the inner of the crown, also hand written in this chalk/grease pencil is 69318. I have seen this liner in other hats, but in this thread I have not seen it on the 100's. I have attempted to research these as best I can. I figure it is at oldest 60's because of the size tag and plastic on the liner. But the liner itself is somewhat confusing, as well the crest on the sweat. Go figure huh!? Thanks for the thought and kind words.
The liner crest is similar to the one on my twenty-five. I'd put it square in the mid-60s.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Robie:
Would you be able to take more detailed pics of the liner. Specifically the crest and the seam holding the plastic protector. The crest is hard to see with the glare.
Also of the sweat crest. You said it was silver, not gold. Are you positive it is silver and not a worn away gold? It can be hard to tell when worn away.
Thanks. Bowen

Finally got a hold of a 100.

This hat has been on my mind since you've posted it and like most, I think , I was intrigued by the liner.. It's funny the assumptions that get made when we see something for the first time. At least for me me I've never seen a 100 from that era with that liner. Nor a 7X for that matter and I have 1 of each from the same era. I think your size tag frames it up pretty well and like mine, represent the end of the run for these hats. Fruno mentioned his 25 and I sometimes forget that a lot of these hats made during this time often shared parts. May be they didn't have a dedicated liner to put in it and used their next nicest. You said it was sewn in and the wear of the liner looks commensurate with that of the sweat. JMO, but I lean towards it all being original and maybe a little more recent. I think it was Alan that said the laced sweats showed up in the early 70's.

This hat has been on my mind since you've posted it and like most, I think , I was intrigued by the liner.. It's funny the assumptions that get made when we see something for the first time. At least for me me I've never seen a 100 from that era with that liner. Nor a 7X for that matter and I have 1 of each from the same era. I think your size tag frames it up pretty well and like mine, represent the end of the run for these hats. Fruno mentioned his 25 and I sometimes forget that a lot of these hats made during this time often shared parts. May be they didn't have a dedicated liner to put in it and used their next nicest. You said it was sewn in and the wear of the liner looks commensurate with that of the sweat. JMO, but I lean towards it all being original and maybe a little more recent. I think it was Alan that said the laced sweats showed up in the early 70's.
The liner on mine is a dedicated one, as it has the "Twenty-five" designation on it. It doesn't look like this says, "100" though.

The liner crest is similar to the one on my twenty-five. I'd put it square in the mid-60s.

Jim, is your Twenty-five an OR; I can't remember? His liner is also similar to the liner in my Twenty-five OR with pre metric square size tag & black sweat, so I put mine into the 1970's. But I don't know what any of that has to do with a One-Hundred.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
BBF47F61-DDF9-4D50-B2F2-1D943FB488FD.jpeg
All good points gentlemen.
As soon as you think something is nailed down along comes a wrench in the works.
But a dated wrench helps perspective.
Just another bone to chew on with respect to this interesting 100.
Aside: pic came from one of my twins. I’ve never seen a hundred that didn’t have a dedicated liner be it gold, silver or LD embroidered.
B

Jim, is your Twenty-five an OR; I can't remember? His liner is also similar to the liner in my Twenty-five OR with pre metric square size tag & black sweat, so I put mine into the 1970's. But I don't know what any of that has to do with a One-Hundred.
It's an OR. The only thing it has to do with the 100 is I was thinking the similarities in the liner logo could help frame a date. Mine has an older size tag, tho. I think it's post '60, but likely pre '65.

View attachment 171760 View attachment 171761 View attachment 171762 View attachment 171763
Finally got a hold of a 100. Not sure of exact date, but sure it is 60's, as it has the black size tag, that I broke off while cleaning it a bit. (@%$#&^%) I do notice the crest on the sweat is in silver instead of gold, but appears to have stars on it. Not sure when they started using this liner logo, perhaps some of you may. But the liner is sewn in, not glued or just loose. Also it does not have the cotton tape slotting at the rear of the sweat. All in all, it is a sweet hat, and has a real good & soft feel to it. I was able to re-shape the crown without steam. Certainly I would have preferred an older one, but am extremely pleased that I found this one. And it came with the case as well. I think it will do!

Your liner looks like what I had on a “Beaver 25” that passed through my hands a couple of months ago. It also had the square price tag. I can’t prove it, but I suspected it was from the 1970s after Stetson sold their name.

668ca0425b555da46f6097cd8fcfb7a7.jpg

The academic exercises are fun and add to our knowledge base, but in the end all that matters is that you have an excellent hat and that you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robieman

A-List Customer
Hi Guys,
I only just got in and discovered I stirred up something with my hat. You guys can’t know how much “in awe” I am with all your responses. I will get more pics in the morning and post them. Perhaps it will help answer some questions. Or create more unanswered ones!
Robie

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi Guys,
I only just got in and discovered I stirred up something with my hat. You guys can’t know how much “in awe” I am with all your responses. I will get more pics in the morning and post them. Perhaps it will help answer some questions. Or create more unanswered ones!
Robie
Good deal Robie. Your hat is worth being stirred about. I have some pics for info you may like but was waiting to see more of your’s and hopefully, other’s input. We kinda like hundreds around here! Lol
Bowen

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of Art’s beaver hats and, while nice, they don’t compare to better vintage hats. Same with Gannon, Phoenix, etc. I’d put them in a blind test too. I also have a VS that Art made from a NOS Mallory felt that is nice, but also doesn’t compare with the better vintage hats. I don’t think there’s any self-fullfilling prophecy going on as I really wish my customs were the same as vintage hats. Then again, I’ve never handled a $1000 custom.
I have. I have about 14 Optimos. While my Optimo Silverbelly and the other Optimo Heirloom Felts are breathtaking, my Knox One Hundred is #%/'@ amazing. I have other vintage hats that are wonderful as well, including some from small hatters.
Yes, the best vintages are even better than the Optimo heirloom felts, in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I have. I have about 14 Optimos. While my Optimo Silverbelly and the other Optimo Heirloom Felts are breathtaking, my Knox One Hundred is #%/'@ amazing. I have other vintage hats that are wonderful as well, including some from small hatters.
Yes, the best vintages are even better than the Optimo heirloom felts, in my opinion.

“I have about 14 Optimos.” If I had any number Optimos I’d know the exact count...I’d probably have given them all names and have them tattooed on my arms. If your weren’t such a genuinely nice guy I’d be envious, Max. :)

I’ve read that Optimo uses FEPSA felts. All my custom beaver hats were made from Winchester felts. I wonder what one of the less expensive hatters could do with a FEPSA beaver dress weight hat body?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Well, I know I have eleven hats I bought directly from them. And I think I've bought about three or four second-hand. The latest is this Optimo Western I bought from Bob Hufford. I keep thinking I am going to send the pics to Tiffani, so she can tell me what model name it has. It's unusual for Optimo, isn't it? An Optimo Western?
2765e412dc2af32cd20d1539fddc8473.jpg
22333b5597cc5769ac7b2146aa61db64.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points