Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson St. Regis homburg - what can you tell me?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Stetson St Regis was a standard hat in the Stetson line for many years . I believe the hat was sold from the early 1940's until the late 1960's. We used to sell the hat un our store during the late 1960's . The earllier ones are of much better quality and tend to be softer . They are fairly common on EBay . Most of the time you will see one in light gray.
I dont think that Stetson has a homburg in their line at all today.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have that very lid. Fantastic for winter dress.

IG053.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Are all old Stetson "St. Regis" hats homburgs?

Found a St. Regis in an antique store last weekend. Fair shape, etc., but not my size. I told the salesperson (a lady) that I was interested primarily in Fedoras, and she said, "Well you can forget a Stetson St. Regis then, they're all homburgs."

Is this true?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I agree...I'm just amazed that you found an antique dealer that is actually versed in hats to the extent that they would know that. News like that rekindles my faith in the world! :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just curious, what do y'all think is a good price for one of these homburgs (the stetson st. regis, that is)?

Yeps said:
Just curious, what do y'all think is a good price for one of these homburgs (the stetson st. regis, that is)?

Depends if I'm buying or selling.:p

Seriously, though ... What I would consider a reasonable price would vary from nothing (or next to it) to a couple hundred bucks or more. Size and condition would be the major factors influencing price, of course.

Johnnysan said:
I agree...I'm just amazed that you found an antique dealer that is actually versed in hats to the extent that they would know that. News like that rekindles my faith in the world! :)

Likewise. I've come across very few antique/vintage dealers who knew diddly about hats. Most are happy to acknowledge that, but every now and then I run into one who says something, usually in an attempt to portray his or her merchandise in an unrealistically favorable light, that bears scant resemblance to what we all here would consider accurate.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Depends if I'm buying or selling.:p

Seriously, though ... What I would consider a reasonable price would vary from nothing (or next to it) to a couple hundred bucks or more. Size and condition would be the major factors influencing price, of course.

Thanks. I have had my eye on a couple for a while, and will probably get one.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
My camel St. Regis is pristine in 7 1/8 and I got it on the bay with the original box for less than $150. The Gray one was in excellent condition and went, again on the bay, for less than $130. The black one started a bit more beaten and it was less than $60 and with a bit of work is now equal in value to its companions.

They are magnificent homburgs. The best of any I own.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I believe that the reason all Stetson St Regis hats are homburgs is due to St Regis being Stetson's model name for homburgs.

I could be wrong, but that's been my impression. They're wonderful hats.

Regards,
Tom

It seems that homburgs often sell for less than comparable (as to vintage, condition, brand, etc.) fedoras. They just don't have as broad an appeal. Fedoras often project a certain sportiness, flair, etc., whereas homburgs come across as dressier, sober, staid.

Yeah, I know, that's painting with a very broad brush, and exceptions are many. But still ...

Me, I dig 'em, but I didn't always. I suspect that's typical.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Agree with Tonyb and Tango Yankee. They tend to price a bit under the similar quality & name regular fedoras, especially if the fedora has a 2 1/2 brim or wider.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
The Stetson St Regis was a standard hat in the Stetson line for many years . I believe the hat was sold from the early 1940's until the late 1960's. We used to sell the hat un our store during the late 1960's . The earllier ones are of much better quality and tend to be softer . They are fairly common on EBay . Most of the time you will see one in light gray.
I dont think that Stetson has a homburg in their line at all today.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Wonderful information. I don't suppose anyone has one of those great c. 1945 Stetson ads that features the St. Regis? You know, the ones that talk about what the classy fellow is wearing, and how his outfit isn't complete without the featured Stetson.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
Found any yet? I was surfing the internet looking for some ads and then i found this thread. :eek:

Never did. Whippet and Playboy ads from that period are easy to find, but I haven’t come across one with a St. Regis pictured.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points