Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson St. Regis homburg - what can you tell me?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If there isn't one here, I'll be very surprised.

edit: I'm very surprised.

I have this one labeled as St. Regis, 1953, but the look of the ad suggests that it might be for the Ambassador model. I can't make out the type.
stetsonstregis1953.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
If there isn't one here, I'll be very surprised.

edit: I'm very surprised.

I have this one labeled as St. Regis, 1953, but the look of the ad suggests that it might be for the Ambassador model. I can't make out the type.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/erikandgina/Hat%20Ads/stetsonstregis1953.jpg[/IMG]
Does say "Ask for the Stetson St. Regis" at the bottom of the text. Price looks like may be $12.50 beneath.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
besdor said:
The Stetson St Regis was a standard hat in the Stetson line for many years . I believe the hat was sold from the early 1940's until the late 1960's. We used to sell the hat un our store during the late 1960's . The earllier ones are of much better quality and tend to be softer . They are fairly common on EBay . Most of the time you will see one in light gray.
I dont think that Stetson has a homburg in their line at all today.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
I just saw a movie on TCM called "Invitation" (1949--that's my edit) with Van Johnson, and Louis Calhern seemed to wear one of those toward the end of the movie.

Justdog

Practically Family
St.Regis

Bought a Navy blue one. Superb construction perfect fit soft felt. A little different than all the OR styles I wear . But just a really classy well made homburg.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
I now have three St. Regis' in 7 1/8. I have a black one, a tan one and a gray one that the brim edging was worn on and Optimo was kind enough to replace it with a blak one ala Poirot. I have other Homborgs but the St. Regis is, by far, my favorite.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Stetson St. Regis buy - 24 hrs to decide

This look is appealing to me at the moment... the price is right at a local shop, so any obvious problems in the eyes of the experts? I'd consider taking it back to the non-dented look - a quick trip to Batsake. Thoughts?

DSC_5147.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
I had a Homburg. Hated the way it looked on me. But, it is funny, I say I don't like how it looked on me but if I were in 1901 I'd probably be wearing one every day! That was the style for jsut about everyone then. That and the derby. Homburg-styled hats were very, very common.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Bugguy, I wear my Stetson hommie as a casual hat. I thought it was going to be a dressier hat, but as it turns out, and I'm not sure why, it looks great with jeans and a buttoned shirt. You can always find a home for it if the look doesn't suit you.

Bugguy

Practically Family
OK - I'm going for it. I saw a homburg like this w/o dents and it was going to be my first hat. Too bad it fell down on my ears. This is my chance. With luck, pics will follow Tuesday. Thanks all!

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hey Bugguy. I didn't think I ever wear a homburg, but I found an old beat up one at a vintage store, steamed the front and rear brim down a bit, and now I have four or five of them in rotation with my other hats. Kind of an acquired taste, maybe. IMG_1673.jpg

Lorne

One of the Regulars
I have one just like it in 7 3/8. Very well made and very comfortable. took a bit to get used to but when I did I picked up one in brown.

Bugguy

Practically Family
OK - I got it! As it was a local on-line auction, I had a chance to handle it and try it on. 7 3/8 perfect fit and look. This could be the buy of the year - 16 bids and $22. I'll pick it up in two days, then a pic or two for the site.

I had enough money left to get my camel-colored Hopkins out of hock at Batsake's shop in Cincinnati. He cleaned it up, replaced the original ribbon (and b$%#@ched about using up some of his vintage fabric). He replaced the silk in the crown and added his signature red feather. I love that guy - he has real class! Pics to come.

Thank you all for the St. Regis encouragement!

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I’d think this thread would have more entries, but I suppose most folks go to the homburg or Stetson dress hat section.

Here’s a $69 buy it now I made, one I had not seen before: a Royal St Regis, Vitafelt (40-46). It just came in and went straight to Ignacio downstairs for a cleaning.

CBFE4CC4-6158-49F7-821E-33CCE132CC7E.jpeg 4A5ACEBE-5A0C-4816-AED1-8A5103353F77.jpeg C622BF87-C7EE-4579-9F7B-F3AA1C383FBF.jpeg 744CA994-46D6-48B6-B257-EA7E570F2FA7.jpeg 9ADF3079-A5E8-4E91-BBA7-96BF50DFA3F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points