Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

DRB

One Too Many
So, I did some checking, regarding the quality of the Open Crowned vs. the Creased Crown.

Garland said there was no difference. I did not speak directly with a manager.
DelMonico Hatter said there was a difference and that the Open Crowned was better quality.

So, +1 guys. You helped me come to the right decision. I knew there was a reason I like the F.L. and the gents here. You gave me good information on a confusing issue. I just purchased the Premier, Open Crown.

Thanks, Dennis

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I am a "tween" size at 57.5 cm. I have found Stetson sizing to be spot on. I have a 7 1/8 Strat and a 7 1/8 OR, both 50's vintage They were both just "that much" too snug, as you say, first time on my head. A couple of hours with just slight pressure in the hat stretcher, a touch of steam and they have been perfect ever since. I have a second Strat of the same vintage that is 7 1/8 long oval and it has been a perfect fit from day one.

So, I did some checking, regarding the quality of the Open Crowned vs. the Creased Crown.

Garland said there was no difference. I did not speak directly with a manager.
DelMonico Hatter said there was a difference and that the Open Crowned was better quality.

So, +1 guys. You helped me come to the right decision. I knew there was a reason I like the F.L. and the gents here. You gave me good information on a confusing issue. I just purchased the Premier, Open Crown.
Thanks, Dennis

You WILL enjoy that Strat!!!!! AND have fun and learn, just playing with it and giving it it's first crease........;)
Best,
M:)

Scooterz

Practically Family
Hemp Strat. Must be outlet hat? Note the Temple designation on sweat. Otherwise a Strat. I have another sand colored hemp strat that I purchased from One 2 Mini Ranch it is a little bigger hat dimension wise. Slightly larger crown and slightly wider brim. This brown one is 2 1/2 inch brim and about 4" at the pinch. Bamboo reading glasses almost match binding and ribbon.
Bhempstrat1.jpg Bhempstrat3.jpg
BHempStrat4.jpg Bhempstrat5.jpg BHempStrat2.jpg

Hemp Strat. Must be outlet hat? Note the Temple designation on sweat. Otherwise a Strat. I have another sand colored hemp strat that I purchased from One 2 Mini Ranch it is a little bigger hat dimension wise. Slightly larger crown and slightly wider brim. This brown one is 2 1/2 inch brim and about 4" at the pinch. Bamboo reading glasses almost match binding and ribbon.
View attachment 178565 View attachment 178567
View attachment 178568 View attachment 178569 View attachment 178566
If it's an outlet hat, there will be a couple of holes punched in the sweat near the back.

So, it's 2 1/2" all the way around?

Hmmmmm...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Scooterz

Practically Family
Just for you Fruno, I measured both hats all the way around upside down outer from edge to sweat. The dark brown "Temple" strat above is 2 1/2 front and back and about 2 7/8 on sides. It has no holes in sweat. The sand colored strat is 2 5/8" front and back and back and 2 7/8" on sides. Brim on sand one looks bigger side by side in person. Just for kicks I also measured a hemp whippet that I picked up at outlet. 2 3/8" front and back and 2 9/16" on sides.

20190730_160119-02.jpg

20190730_160142-01.jpg
If it's an outlet hat, there will be a couple of holes punched in the sweat near the back.

So, it's 2 1/2" all the way around?

Hmmmmm...

Just for you Fruno, I measured both hats all the way around upside down outer from edge to sweat. The dark brown "Temple" strat above is 2 1/2 front and back and about 2 7/8 on sides. It has no holes in sweat. The sand colored strat is 2 5/8" front and back and back and 2 7/8" on sides. Brim on sand one looks bigger side by side in person. Just for kicks I also measured a hemp whippet that I picked up at outlet. 2 3/8" front and back and 2 9/16" on sides.

View attachment 178893

View attachment 178892
Aww, shucks, thanks. With the dimensional brim and sweat markings, it sounds more like a Temple with a thin ribbon than a Strat with a Temple sweat.

Sweet hat, nonetheless.

Scooterz

Practically Family
Picked up a couple in Garland.
Caribou which had a wide bright blue ribbon but they changed it out for me to a thin 2 ply light grey. Plain black sweat.
qwr21s.jpg qwr16s.jpg

And a dark sage with tone on tone ribbons. Almost a forest or dark moss green. Not a great pic of this one.
qwr18s.jpg qwr17s.jpg
Photo of Sage showing liner and underside of brim is fairly close to actual color. Nice sweat on this one.

Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I received my Silverbelly Stratoliner today. While not a Premier Stratoliner, I am thoroughly pleased with it’s quality. The color is exactly what I wanted and I was able to re-bash it easily to my preferred diamond crease. I tightened the front punch as well making the diamond a little tighter at the front. I’m pleased with the way it turned out. It has some irregularity compared to a perfect factory crease. The irregularities of the crease makes it my own, much like the bashes I see in old movies and tv shows.

The fit is also true compared to my Akubras. If I had one thing I would change it would be the liner. I wish it possessed the plastic protector on the liner similar to my Akubras. Other than that it is a great hat.
CE0101E5-C66E-422C-B53C-C6F7853DDD62.jpeg

FBBE1EFD-853F-4328-8A99-D230D0DA7DDC.jpeg

Steven

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked up a couple in Garland.
Caribou which had a wide bright blue ribbon but they changed it out for me to a thin 2 ply light grey. Plain black sweat.
View attachment 180111 View attachment 180114

And a dark sage with tone on tone ribbons. Almost a forest or dark moss green. Not a great pic of this one.
View attachment 180115 View attachment 180112
Photo of Sage showing liner and underside of brim is fairly close to actual color. Nice sweat on this one.
Oooooo, I love me some Garland outlet. I got a nice caribu OR in October for less than half price

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I wore my new Stratoliner today for the first time. While I’m very pleased overall, I must say that I am disappointed on the gold embossing of the Stratoliner logo on the sweatband. It is almost completely worn off. I’ve worn my Akubras for months and the gold embossing looks like I just took the hats out of their boxes. Has anyone else experienced this with their Stetsons?

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points