Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
The 2016 Fall Catalog looks Great . I particularly like that Stetsonian (Like Robert's Tawny) , it's SWEET ! Nice New Colors added to the Strats , too , The Premier Strats open crown . I just would like a little taller crown like the Stetsonian - 6" open crown as opposed to 5 1/2" for the Frankennoggins among us .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The 2016 Fall Catalog looks Great . I particularly like that Stetsonian (Like Robert's Tawny) , it's SWEET ! Nice New Colors added to the Strats , too , The Premier Strats open crown . I just would like a little taller crown like the Stetsonian - 6" open crown as opposed to 5 1/2" for the Frankennoggins among us .

it's amazing the versatility of a bash that the 1/2" gives you ... or even a little less

I have a few vintage strats that are around the 5 3/4 or a hair more range ... and even that gives you worlds more to work with

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
it's amazing the versatility of a bash that the 1/2" gives you ... or even a little less

I have a few vintage strats that are around the 5 3/4 or a hair more range ... and even that gives you worlds more to work with
Some of those "stagecoach" resistols have those nose bleed high crowns...elevator up! I have one four inch wide straw that is about 6 1/4 or so tall....wanting to get it "fedoraised" and get rid of the Gus bash and a bit off the brim. It just does not look right on Daniel the way it is now.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
From a Few Weeks ago , after I got it , no steam , really soft , no quality issues at all , Cornhill Strat ... Premier Quality ...

FullSizeRender.jpg

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Questions for the modern production Stratoliner Appreciators

Is the modern production Stratoliner, soft-ish, with a pliable-ish brim or is is stiff and cardboard-y?

How's the fit, is a 7 3/8 really a 7 3/8 or is it more like a 7 5/16?

The reviews I've read say the hat is soft, but are they talking pliability or just the velvety feel of the felt?

Or maybe, which grades are stiff and which are more flex-y?

I made the mistake of watching The Aviator and now I keep looking at them online and getting antsy about adding a new hat to the stable.

I know stylistically there are differences in crown height, brim width and the shaping, but I'm not having vintage luck, so I'm looking at modern production.

I own a modern production Open Road and am happy with it, despite the stiffness of the crown and brim.

I also own a Nostalgia which is soft-ish, steamable and moldable and the brim is flexible, but almost too floppy.

The Open Road is a 7 3/8 but fits just a tiny bit snug.

The Nostalgia is the same and fits really loose.

Knowing the vagaries of production, is the Stratoliner 7 3/8 genuine, or should I go up to a 7 1/2?

Thanks in advance.

dv

ps - I read the whole thread (sans pictures - thanks workplace!) and my head is now swimming...in hat-thoughts

Last edited:

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
The Strato is much softer and more pliable than the OR.
Sizing is a bit more complicated.
A size is a 3/8" range and any hat within that range is that size.
A 7 3/8 e.g. is anywhere from about 23" to 23 3/8".
You can go to any store and grab 3 identical hats of the same size and chances are that each will fit quite differently.
Many folks consider a hat to be "true to size" if it fits them, not realizing that others with different head measurements wear the same size.
Each thinks theirs is the one that is "true to size" when in fact they all are.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I own 3 modern Strats ... 2 Premier and 1 Excellent

all fit true to size
all are very soft and pliable
very nice modern hats ... I really like them

stay away from the Royal because frankly they are hot garbage

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I think the Premier is called Stetson Royal Premier Stratoliner , but I could be wrong . Mine is a Premier and its definitely soft , not mush , but no where near western felt or the standard version . I can't imagine an Excellent .

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
The felt question was the biggie, I'd like a softer hat.

I can dig the size discrepancy - I might just go for it regardless.

I've got my eye on one in particular online, premiere felt and in my size.

So very, very tempted.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

dv

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
I think the Premier is called Stetson Royal Premier Stratoliner , but I could be wrong . Mine is a Premier and its definitely soft , not mush , but no where near western felt or the standard version . I can't imagine an Excellent .
The Premier is a Royal Deluxe quality hat.
The Stetson Excellent quality are now their 100% beaver hats.
There is nothing in the catalog about an Excellent Stratoliner these days.

SurfGent

Suspended
I have 8 of them. one on every color, 3 Milan straw. Just need a blue one that they came out with this year. They have the graphite premier but I don't think I'm gonna get that one due to price and it's close to my black one anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy