Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Wind-cords on Stratoliners?

Hi:

Did Stratoliners have wind-cords originally? The photos on this thread seem to suggest that they didn't.

I have sent a Stratoliner off for refurbishment and the question is whether or not to add a wind-cord, as it doesn't have one right now. It doesn't have brim-binding either, which I am sure was removed by someone in the past. Maybe the wind-cord suffered similar surgery, or maybe it was never there in the first place.

Anybody know the answer, please?

Peter

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Peter_E said:
Did Stratoliners have wind-cords originally? The photos on this thread seem to suggest that they didn't.

No they did not come with wind-cords. As you note, they did come with a very narrow brim binding. ;)

By the way, welcome to the Lounge!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Well -- some did. See Posts 177 and 219 for a couple of Strats on this thread with wind cords.

Cheers,
JtL

As soon as I hit send I knew that I should have said that Strats almost never came with wind cords. It seems there are exceptions to everything! ;)

frussell

One Too Many
Crash and Burn

Just got my GTDean-provided Stratoliner back from Optimo. Photos pretty much say it all. Frank
After:
P8230026.jpg
[/IMG]
Before:
P6110865.jpg
[/IMG]
On head before:
P6110860.jpg
[/IMG]
And after:
P8230029.jpg
[/IMG]

frussell

One Too Many
Yes

Didn't want to flame a great company, but the aghast smiley emoticon matches my face when I saw it. I sent it in for a sweatband replacement, they did some blocking and said they might need to put a replacement ribbon on. The wide ribbon was not a pleasant surprise, nor was the old gold miner shape. It went from sophisticated to Gabby Hayes meets Rocky Balboa. Tiffani mentioned getting some larger or more secure shipping boxes, as a few of mine have come back with this unique style, probably because they are BIG hats, and do not fit in regular people boxes. The good folks at Optimo will make this right, I have no doubt, but it was a shocker at first. Alan, that's the same mandolin reflected in a mirror, and it's a handmade four string my buddy made. I've also got one of his octaves, and my own Givens A3. Thanks for the sympathy guys, it's going to be okay soon. I'll repost when it is. Frank

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Now that I understand what's going on -- I have to say, that is totally outrageous and unacceptable. Replacing a classic Strat ribbon with a wide ribbon? That just ain't right. One should be able to expect a whole lot more from Optimo. That kind of thing is making me re-evaluate what hats, if any, to send to Chicago for any kind of cleaning/blocking.

Hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

Cheers,
JtL

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks Boys

I don't mean to ding Optimo in any way, everyone makes mistakes, even the big boys. This is my fourth hat in a row I've sent for new sweat and/or blocking, and other than arriving a bit bent out of shape, they've been great, super fast turnaround. Like I said, my hats are big, 7 3/4 to 7 7/8, so maybe they don't fit well in an ordinary Optimo shipping box. The ribbon was an honest error, and Tiffani is already on it. Hat should get to Chicago on Friday, and I expect it back with the usual sterling work. The wide ribbon, although wrong, was very well done, and matched the hat well. It just was about an inch too wide! I'm sure all will work out, just a bummer for now. It's the only hat I own with thin enough felt to be comfortable in our 110 plus degree summers here. A Campdraft feels like a wool ski cap right now. Frank.

frussell

One Too Many
Strat is back

Well, it's nearly back to normal. The usual shipping lines and wrinkles, possible faint line where the wide ribbon was when I returned it, the ribbon is darker than the original, but pretty close to how it originally left my house. A bit more snug than before, maybe due to the new sweat, the old one was really thin. Also, it was labeled originally as an Extra Long Oval, which it no longer is. Seems to have a bit more taper front to back than before, but I'll play with the bash they put in, may be able to resolve that. Much stronger packing this time, although the third innermost box that the hat was actually in was the same small shipping box as before, which tends to distort my brims. All in all, a learning experience. Nice to have this hat back though. I'd still send my hats to Optimo, as they seem to have a better turnaround time than most places I've used. Frank
P9030040.jpg
[/IMG]
P9030041.jpg
[/IMG]

RBH

Bartender
Looks nice but the bow does not look up to snuff in my book.

Several years ago I sent an Open Road to Art,for a reblock and cleaning.
Due to a miss understanding [on my part] he put a wide ribbon on it.
I sent it right back and Art put the thin ribbon back on.
I could not even tell it had been taken off.
He is that good.

I think they could have done a better job.

frussell

One Too Many
RBH

Apparently the original ribbon did not survive the blocking and new sweat procedure. I'm with you on the bow, and I certainly trust your eye when it comes to Stratoliner details. Not my favorite experience so far, but all my other transactions with Optimo have been pretty great. Thanks, Frank

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Close ranger

No problem here. That one would go good with a leather jacket and a DAO .38 snubby sans hammer..........

P8230029.jpg

Sorry, what was the original problem? :eek:

OMG!

:eusa_doh:

:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points