Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I still might send it out for a reblock and clean to see if any of it comes out. And to freshen it up a bit. Without a doubt, it's my worst smelling hat. *yucky*

Cheers,

Chainsaw

Suspended
Tom-n-Perris said:
Just picked up my first Stratoliner this week.:D

DSCF5088.jpg

Very nice! I've always hated stetsons for some reason. Probably the same reason my mother wouldn't alow jazz to be played in the house. But that's a nice hat, I think I'm starting to like those d@mn things.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I got lucky last week and picked up this tan Strat on OFAS at a good price. The color is sort of a gold/peach tan. It's pretty dirty but photographs well on my noggin, I think:

4689151837_8c3bd04eb8.jpg

4689149809_3132484d21.jpg

The liner is quite faded; the liner tip is plastic, not oilcloth:

4690436843_3676d614eb.jpg

The sweat is reeded and has the same "alligator" texture as the sweats on my 1950s Whippets:

4690338089_53166e1b3a.jpg

4690986600_5c33746060.jpg

The seller dated it as from the 1960s; I think 50s is closer to the mark but a lot of clues are missing. There's no size tag. At some point the hat was cleaned I think, because the liner is taped in place and all the usual size/block/union labels are missing. Any thoughts based on the liner crest and the sweatband?

It's going in the naptha tank this weekend; I'll post more pics after the cleaning.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chainsaw said:
Tom-n-Perris said:
Just picked up my first Stratoliner this week.:D
Very nice! I've always hated stetsons for some reason. Probably the same reason my mother wouldn't alow jazz to be played in the house. But that's a nice hat, I think I'm starting to like those d@mn things.
I wouldn't have worn one in the 60s and 70s, growing up, because of Cool Hand Luke type associations alluded to by someone else earlier, and me a counterculture youth. But having rediscovered OR at a flea market five or six years ago, and liking the look, I now think they are great. They certainly have a working man connotation to them. I like them much better now that they are not ubiquitous, and are just a distinctive hat for a man, the few that you might see out there on the street. You've got to like the lines of those hats. They look great.

frussell

One Too Many
My First Stratoliner

Courtesy of GTDean. Mid brown, great felt in great shape. I didn't even have my normal urge to re-bash. Tom, or anybody else, any ideas on the time frame of this hat? Just lightweight enough to wear in our already scorching weather. Wish my crummy photos did it justice! Frank.
P6110866.jpg
[/IMG]
P6110865.jpg
[/IMG]
P6110870.jpg
[/IMG]
P6110860.jpg
[/IMG]

frussell

One Too Many
photos

Any marks or spots in the photos are my fault. I have a white boxer who sheds like a snowstorm, and I haven't taken this thing off long enough to even brush the shipping marks off yet. Thanks again Tom. Frank

frussell said:
... Thanks again Tom. Frank
My pleasure Frank. It looks GOOD on you, Pard. That crease job is a combination of Optimo & my tweaking a bit. I pulled it off the Bay & was told it had been sent there for a clean & blocking before being offered up. I just can't leave creases alone (except for the JtL teardrop on my Pilgrim). It is almost the same brown as that Pilgrim, too.

It looks to be where it belongs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo