Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Good morning.

IMG2360-M.jpg

This morning, having a bit of time, I staged a family picture of my vintage Stetson Stratoliners. No alterations have been done to the pic. Overcast, and humid takes some of the vibrant tones out of the felt colors. I thought that it would give a better shot of "all" color felts. In a perfect situation, each felt color should have it's own special lighting.

IMG2364-L.jpg

In the above pic, right to left, the felt colors are; Moss Green (post #799 shows a pic with the actual color), silverbelly (top & post #630 shows true color), cadet blue, brown (post #757 shows the true brown), dark gray, and a lighter gray. The moss green and cadet blue are un-lined. Each of the felts is a bit different.

Thanks you for taking a look and letting me share my Stratoliner family.

Best wishes, Eric -
Just saw this for the first time...WOW, what a great couple of pics!!!

stingman1

New in Town
This is a great thread. I recently got my first vintage Strat. A beautiful, minty Caribou. My size is a tough one to track down, though...7 3/8 Long Oval. If the sweatband is in great shape and pliable, I can block a 7 1/4 Long Oval out to fit. But I was wondering if all of you could give me tips where to look for that size. Anybody here have any you'd be interested in selling? Once again, great thread!

wine65

One of the Regulars
Stingman1 I have a 7 3/8 LO Strat in excellent condition I was considering selling. It's bluish gray color similar to the 2 posted by short balding guy in his Strat family pics. Tried PM ing you but would not go thru. Contact me if your interested.
Steve

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I am wearing my newly cleaned 50's Stetson Stratoliner in silverbelly this evening.

A 50's Stratoliner in silverbelly already lives in my wardrobe. I have been worried that I will wear it to an early demise. I picked up this companion silverbelly hat late spring and started today to cleaning the last couple of days.

IMG_5346-M.jpg

I soaked it in white gas and gently brushed all of "the spots." I use a piece of green glass, from an old telephone pole, to weight parts of the hat in the gas. It air dried thru the afternoon and this evening I have conditioned the leather, creased it and am wearing it as I type on our deck this evening. Sweet. It cleaned up fine. Spots came out, dark dirt brushed away. Granted it is not a spotless felt. Perhaps if I send it off to one of the pro hatters it may be improved. I am not worried, Hakuna Matata.

IMG_5627-M.jpg

IMG_5626-M.jpg

The ribbon has patina marks, and they remain. I do not worry about the patina as I like the charatcer.

IMG_5613-M.jpg

This shot better shows the patina on the brim edge and ribbon. The felt is spic and span!

IMG_5606-S.jpg

The vintage Stratoliner's with the iconic flange and block are what I really enjoy. For me it works with slacks and a blazer or more casual. Downtown or country. Who can dislike a hat that compliments a Kamehameha Hawaiian polo shirt? Not me!

Hakuna Matata! This vintage hat is grand. Eric -

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm only just now beginning to look at vintage Strats and Open Roads. Am I right in assuming that OR's were part beaver, but Strats were rabbit? Or was there a mix of both offered?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183