Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

Zombie, mine pictured above has a cloth sweat & I bought my exact size which happens to be a 7-5/8. I bought it in person so I was able to try the fit. I mention the sweat because some models may have a leather one, IDK.

If I remember from your past comments you normally use a spray bottle & have no means for a good supply of steam. I'm not sure you could get palm soaked wet enough & therefore soft enough to work over by just using a spray bottle. Just dunking it in a rain barrel as I have on a hot day won't do it either. Maybe try a hot steamy shower? If you have access to a hot tub I know from personal experience that will work! Just wear it while you enjoy the benefits of the tub.

Not being familiar with all their models of hats I can't answer your question on brim flatness but I'm sure you will be able to cup or curl as you like with lots of soaking steam.

YMMV but this has been my experience based on owning just one Sunbody.

Reactions: RJR
Thank you Jack! This is the kind of information I was hoping for, and found it helpful.

Zombie, mine pictured above has a cloth sweat & I bought my exact size which happens to be a 7-5/8. I bought it in person so I was able to try the fit. I mention the sweat because some models may have a leather one, IDK...
I'm almost positive the hats I'm considering would have cloth sweats as well. The nearest retail store that sells Sunbody hats (at least according to Sunbody's website) is a bit of a drive, but it's on the beach so maybe I can talk my wife into taking a ride, try on a hat or two, have some lunch, take in the scenery... ;)

...If I remember from your past comments you normally use a spray bottle & have no means for a good supply of steam. I'm not sure you could get palm soaked wet enough & therefore soft enough to work over by just using a spray bottle. Just dunking it in a rain barrel as I have on a hot day won't do it either. Maybe try a hot steamy shower? If you have access to a hot tub I know from personal experience that will work! Just wear it while you enjoy the benefits of the tub...
You are correct--I don't have a good method to apply steam, so I use distilled water in a spray bottle on my fur felt hats because the local tap water has so many chemicals in it that I'm concerned it might discolor the felt in some way. With the color variations on a straw hat I'm not sure such discoloration would be a concern, especially since it would be worn very casually, so until I read your "rain barrel" comment I was thinking of simply soaking the entire hat in a sink full of tap water. Now I'm wondering if hot tap water might soften the straw just enough to make those minor modifications to the shape.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'll like the hat as-is once I've seen it in person and not want to make any changes, but so far my experiences have taught me that's rarely the case. :p

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The summers here in southern California seem to be getting hotter every year, so I'm giving serious consideration to getting my first straw hat when finances permit. Since I started wearing hats for sun protection, my first thoughts ran to Sunbody; so far the front runner is their 2-1/2 in brim Oak-Colored Tear Drop made from their standard Guatemalan palm. But before I pull that trigger, I have a few questions that I'm hoping those of you who have experience with Sunbody hats can answer because I'd rather hear from people with practical experience than someone from the company who is trying to make a sale.

Sizing. My head measures so close to 60 cm (regular oval) that the difference isn't worth mentioning. Normally I'd order a size 7-1/2, but having read through this thread it seems the prevalent wisdom is to order a 7-5/8, soak the hat, and wear it as it dries so that the sweatband shrinks a little and the hat conforms to my head. Is this correct?

Shaping. Is it difficult to re-shape one of their pre-shaped crowns? It wouldn't be anything drastic--tighten the pinch a little, maybe widen the teardrop a bit.

Brim. Are the brims really as flat as they appear to be in the photos on Sunbody's website? If they are, is it possible to give them a little upward curl on the back and sides? Again, nothing drastic, just a little shaping so it's not completely flat.

Thanks in advance!
Hey, Zombie,
I've had the three-inch brim for some time now and wear it all the time. First, go with your regular size: they have cloth sweatbands and don't really shrink that much. Mine arrived a tiny bit large and hasn't changed too much although it's seen a lot of service. Shaping is one of the best things about this hat - you can run it under a faucet, get it sopping wet, and then shape it any way you want. You just let it dry and it retains the shape. If you change your mind you just do it again. Mine's got an upturn all the way around. Sunbodys are a little heavier than my other straws, but they're sturdier. For an everyday straw you can just throw in the back of the car and not worry about, you can't beat them. In fact, because we get so many sudden tropical storms down here, it's the hat I most often wear in the summer. I've got some better ones now, but that one gets as much wear as any of them. They're kind of like Akubras: you can fool with them all you like and not do too much damage. As I remember, the instructions that came with the hat told me to have fun with it - so I did.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Hey, Zombie,
I've had the three-inch brim for some time now and wear it all the time. First, go with your regular size: they have cloth sweatbands and don't really shrink that much. Mine arrived a tiny bit large and hasn't changed too much although it's seen a lot of service. Shaping is one of the best things about this hat - you can run it under a faucet, get it sopping wet, and then shape it any way you want. You just let it dry and it retains the shape. If you change your mind you just do it again. Mine's got an upturn all the way around. Sunbodys are a little heavier than my other straws, but they're sturdier. For an everyday straw you can just throw in the back of the car and not worry about, you can't beat them. In fact, because we get so many sudden tropical storms down here, it's the hat I most often wear in the summer. I've got some better ones now, but that one gets as much wear as any of them. They're kind of like Akubras: you can fool with them all you like and not do too much damage. As I remember, the instructions that came with the hat told me to have fun with it - so I did.

My Sunbody is about 5 years old and has shrunk quite a bit. It started out in the desert and now lives along the Gulf Coast, so climate may be an issue. I would consider going a bit larger or consider swapping out the sweat band for one which might hold its size better.

Scooterz

Practically Family
Thank you Jack! This is the kind of information I was hoping for, and found it helpful.

I'm almost positive the hats I'm considering would have cloth sweats as well. The nearest retail store that sells Sunbody hats (at least according to Sunbody's website) is a bit of a drive, but it's on the beach so maybe I can talk my wife into taking a ride, try on a hat or two, have some lunch, take in the scenery... ;)

You are correct--I don't have a good method to apply steam, so I use distilled water in a spray bottle on my fur felt hats because the local tap water has so many chemicals in it that I'm concerned it might discolor the felt in some way. With the color variations on a straw hat I'm not sure such discoloration would be a concern, especially since it would be worn very casually, so until I read your "rain barrel" comment I was thinking of simply soaking the entire hat in a sink full of tap water. Now I'm wondering if hot tap water might soften the straw just enough to make those minor modifications to the shape.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'll like the hat as-is once I've seen it in person and not want to make any changes, but so far my experiences have taught me that's rarely the case. :p

If its a white colored hat don't use hot water. Use cold water or it will wash the bleaching agent out. You can dunk it or just put the part you want to shape under a faucet, or all of it. Wear it and it will probably shape to your head. I can wear a 58 but found a 59 that fit pretty good in a store just a tad loose. After wetting and wearing it fits snug not too tight. it has a cloth sweatband.

I knew I was asking the right people--a wealth of valuable information! My sincere thanks and appreciation to you all!

Hey, Zombie, I've had the three-inch brim for some time now and wear it all the time...They're kind of like Akubras: you can fool with them all you like and not do too much damage. As I remember, the instructions that came with the hat told me to have fun with it - so I did.
I own six Akubras so far, so I'm very familiar with them. This being my first straw hat, I'll still proceed with caution if I decide whichever hat I choose needs a little re-shaping.

My Sunbody is about 5 years old and has shrunk quite a bit. It started out in the desert and now lives along the Gulf Coast, so climate may be an issue. I would consider going a bit larger or consider swapping out the sweat band for one which might hold its size better.
Arizona's "monsoon season" has been steadily moving west year after year and now affects the weather in southern California, making the summer and early autumn seasons far more humid than they used to be so I'm very pleased you mentioned climate possibly being an issue; that is something I hadn't really considered. As for swapping out the sweatband, I know enough to know that's not something I'd feel comfortable doing myself, and since there aren't any hatters in my area I think the cost of shipping it off to have someone else do it might be more expense and trouble than it's worth.

If its a white colored hat don't use hot water. Use cold water or it will wash the bleaching agent out. You can dunk it or just put the part you want to shape under a faucet, or all of it. Wear it and it will probably shape to your head. I can wear a 58 but found a 59 that fit pretty good in a store just a tad loose. After wetting and wearing it fits snug not too tight. it has a cloth sweatband.
I'm glad you mentioned this because I'm also considering Sunbody's Fedora (but with a 2-1/2" brim), which has that "bleached white" appearance. I know they're not expensive hats, but I'd hate to spend the money and then ruin the hat before I have a chance to wear it.

I think the best thing to do would be to take that drive to the beach and try on a few to see which size would be best for me. At the very least, I'll get lunch and get to spend the day with my wife doing something out of the ordinary. :D

RBH

Bartender
This last year has been a long one for me.
I lost my job after 28 years.... spent most of last summer working in an Ag related job.
And now am working for the State.
And that brings me to now....
The State allows us to wear a brimmed hat as long as the hat band with the logo is present.
And that brings me to Sunbody hats....you cant beat them for durability and they look good!
After having known Jimmy Pryor for several years.
{here is a photo of us from the Denver Market 3 years ago}
a6upatub.jpg

I spoke with him on the phone last week.
I ordered the Fine Palm Derby in open crown with 2 1/2 brim.
derby_1000.jpg

Here is my hat with the first 'crease'... it is a work in progress.

T975ut.jpg

Jimmy and the folks at Sunbody are FIRST CLASS! Give them a try.

Zombie....I ordered the 2 1/2 inch brim open crown derby as stated above. But I also ask Jimmy [I ordered from him] to leave the brim flat as I did not want any curl to it. I just stuck the hat under a cold shower and put a slight center dent in it.
Good luck!!!!

Zombie....I ordered the 2 1/2 inch brim open crown derby as stated above. But I also ask Jimmy [I ordered from him] to leave the brim flat as I did not want any curl to it...
Well, you wouldn't necessarily need two hats like this:

RBH_Sunbody_zpsmyc31tmo.jpg

:D

Do you still have it, or were you only acting as a model for their website? I really like the looks and shape of that hat, and I think it suits you very well. I'd consider getting one for myself, but I think a brim with that much curl might defeat the purpose of wearing it for sun protection somewhat.

I just stuck the hat under a cold shower and put a slight center dent in it.
Good luck!!!!
Good to know; it looks good in the photo you posted. At this point I think the most I might try would be to tighten the pinch a little, but it will really depend on which hat I choose and how it's shaped. A bigger concern for me would be the amount of taper in the crown; tapered crowns neither look particularly good on me, nor fit my head well, which is why I'm considering the standard Guatemalan palm Fedora--it appears to have a more straight sided crown than the oak-colored Teardrop hat. Decisions, decisions... :cool: And thank you!

I sincerely wish they'd do an oak-colored fedora with a 2 3/4 brim. The 2 1/2 just doesn't cut it for me with the tropical sun.
I'd like that as well. A 3" brim would offer better sun protection, but I think it would look too wide on me and if I don't like the way the hat looks I won't wear it; I'm kinda' funny that way. So, since Sunbody doesn't appear to currently offer a hat with a 2-3/4" brim, 2-1/2" is my preference.

tropicalbob

Bob give Jimmy a holler...he can trim the brim and rebind it if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I remember that we discussed this a short while back, but I didn't see a larger-brimmed oak-colored straw. I'll give him a call this week. Thanks for your help.

tropicalbob

Well, you wouldn't necessarily need two hats like this:

RBH_Sunbody_zpsmyc31tmo.jpg

:D

Do you still have it, or were you only acting as a model for their website? I really like the looks and shape of that hat, and I think it suits you very well. I'd consider getting one for myself, but I think a brim with that much curl might defeat the purpose of wearing it for sun protection somewhat.

Good to know; it looks good in the photo you posted. At this point I think the most I might try would be to tighten the pinch a little, but it will really depend on which hat I choose and how it's shaped. A bigger concern for me would be the amount of taper in the crown; tapered crowns neither look particularly good on me, nor fit my head well, which is why I'm considering the standard Guatemalan palm Fedora--it appears to have a more straight sided crown than the oak-colored Teardrop hat. Decisions, decisions... :cool: And thank you!

I'd like that as well. A 3" brim would offer better sun protection, but I think it would look too wide on me and if I don't like the way the hat looks I won't wear it; I'm kinda' funny that way. So, since Sunbody doesn't appear to currently offer a hat with a 2-3/4" brim, 2-1/2" is my preference.
Zombie, the 3" brim is pretty big. I'll keep you posted after I get in touch with Jimmy this week and ask him about the 2 3/4" oak-colored fedora. What I'm looking for is simply that color in the same style as the 3" one. I'm hoping this hat would have the same properties with regard to water as their regular, lighter-colored straw. It would make it a perfect hat for the stormier, hotter months here.
N.B. The 3" crown fedora has almost no taper - straight up and down.

Zombie, the 3" brim is pretty big. I'll keep you posted after I get in touch with Jimmy this week and ask him about the 2 3/4" oak-colored fedora...
The Akubra Campdraft has a brim that's just shy of 3", but taking the flanging/brim curl into consideration the actual/practical brim width is about 2-3/4". That would be about as wide as I'd want to go, so please do let us know what Jimmy has to say. My guess is that Sunbody wouldn't be particularly interested in making a full production model of such a hat, but he'll probably be willing to modify an existing hat for you...for a fee, of course.

...What I'm looking for is simply that color in the same style as the 3" one. I'm hoping this hat would have the same properties with regard to water as their regular, lighter-colored straw. It would make it a perfect hat for the stormier, hotter months here...
For me it would be something similar to the hat William Christopher wore as Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H:

William_Christopher_Father_Mulcahy_zpstalo5qhj.jpg

Relatively straight-sided crown, flanged brim about 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" wide, either "oak" colored or "natural" straw. I know there are a lot of them out there, but they're not made by Sunbody and I'm looking for as much sun protection as I can get.

tropicalbob

The Akubra Campdraft has a brim that's just shy of 3", but taking the flanging/brim curl into consideration the actual/practical brim width is about 2-3/4". That would be about as wide as I'd want to go, so please do let us know what Jimmy has to say. My guess is that Sunbody wouldn't be particularly interested in making a full production model of such a hat, but he'll probably be willing to modify an existing hat for you...for a fee, of course.

For me it would be something similar to the hat William Christopher wore as Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H:

William_Christopher_Father_Mulcahy_zpstalo5qhj.jpg

Relatively straight-sided crown, flanged brim about 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" wide, either "oak" colored or "natural" straw. I know there are a lot of them out there, but they're not made by Sunbody and I'm looking for as much sun protection as I can get.
That's a nice little hat, but I've found very few of the type we're discussing: Stetson makes a couple but not in my size; Borsalino has two or tree, but they're all center-dent with too much taper, never mind the cost (same with Tesi). Pretty much everything else I've seen is either too flimsy, over-priced (or both), or not in my size (7 7/8). There's even one model that's sold by a number of brands but is actually the exact same hat - it's the one often appearing under the name "the Bogart" in some stores - that looks fine in the photos but is a real disappointment when you actually hold it in your hand. So, aside from the custom guys like Art Fawcett or Peters Bros, both of whose Milans I heartily recommend, there's not a whole lot out there. I keep my fingers crossed, though. There's a real hole in the market for a good, straight-sided straw with a brim in between 2 1/2 and 3 inches. I'm looking forward to seeing what Sunbody can come up with. I wouldn't mind at all paying a little extra for a serviceable straw: you should see the little pile of garbage straws I have in my study.

Last edited:
That's a nice little hat, but I've found very few of the type we're discussing...
Y'know, you're absolutely right. I've only become interested in getting a straw hat recently, so I really hadn't paid much attention to what's currently available. Most of the straw "fedoras" are of the stingy brim variety, and almost all of the Panama hats have flat "outback" brims (i.e., turned down all the way around). You almost have to go custom to get the style we're looking for, and the prices for those are far more than I'd be willing to pay even if I could afford to. I realize many of the finer straw hats are extremely labor intensive, but I paid less for my first car than what some hatters are asking. Stetson does make a straw version of their Stetsonian, but I can't justify paying fur felt prices for a straw hat.

...I wouldn't mind at all paying a little extra for a serviceable straw: you should see the little pile of garbage straws I have in my study.
Speaking of garbage, I do have one straw hat--a "western" style (the kind with wire in the brim) that I paid about $10 for in a tourist shop on St. Maarten during a Caribbean cruise in 2004. That was before I started wearing hats regularly so I didn't have one with me, I needed something to block the sun, and it was cheap and available. I don't think I've worn it since. :D

Scooterz

Practically Family

Ok the hat showed up 3 days early. First thoughts: The crown is high 4.5" at pinch 4.75" at high point on side. Looks taller. Makes the 2.5 inch brim look almost stingy. Came with a thin black band, which was not glued on (hooray). It slipped off easy. Here are some quick pics in not great light. There is little red streak that is either something on the camera lens or some dead pixels in the camera. It is not something actually on the hat. It is oak colored and it is a nice light golden tan color. It appears lighter in the photos but they are outside. Came with a decent amount of sizing tape. I could probably have gone with a 58cm but the 59 will be ok with some sizing tape and after wetting and letting it fit to my head I think. I will be reshaping this and seeing if I can get the crown just a tad lower.

DSCF3168.jpg DSCF3169.jpg
DSCF3172.jpg DSCF3178.jpg

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
Ok the hat showed up 3 days early. First thoughts: The crown is high 4.5" at pinch 4.75" at high point on side. Looks taller. Makes the 2.5 inch brim look almost stingy. Came with a thin black band, which was not glued on (hooray). It slipped off easy. Here are some quick pics in not great light. There is little red streak that is either something on the camera lens or some dead pixels in the camera. It is not something actually on the hat. It is oak colored and it is a nice light golden tan color. It appears lighter in the photos but they are outside. Came with a decent amount of sizing tape. I could probably have gone with a 58cm but the 59 will be ok with some sizing tape and after wetting and letting it fit to my head I think. I will be reshaping this and seeing if I can get the crown just a tad lower.

View attachment 70201 View attachment 70202
View attachment 70203 View attachment 70204
Thanks for the business Scott!
Just wet it down and do as you will. You're not going to hurt it.
To size it put it on wet and tighten a belt etc. around it to conform to your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran