Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Things Women Will Do...for Beauty

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
tapeworms.jpg

When I was in veterinary school, one of our parasitology professors told us with great authority that tapeworms do not cause weight loss. How did she know? She swallowed two for research purposes (which didn't involve seeing if the parasite was a Friend for a Fair Form, but she kept track anyway out of curiosity). Hosted the worms for months, didn't lose an ounce. Now that's dedication to one's career.

She never mentioned if they were sanitized first. lol

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
my......everything hurts hahahaha just reading about this stuff is scary!! I think I'll be happy with how I look from now on ;) although I am starting to get deep laugh lines, I've always had dimples, which I've hated but why laugh lines??? I'm too young for this haha

Naama

Practically Family
lol tape worms? Well, sound's at least more realistic than all those diet pills which tell people that they will keep the fat from youre body or things like that.... I love those things! They are so scary and funny at the same time sometimes!

Naama

Naama

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Actually, being skin-skin-skinny was decidedly unfashionable in the '30s. As soon as the Depression set in, and skinniness became equated with malnutrition and unemployment, you started to see ads like this --

kelp-malt.jpg

Oh wow! Just imagine something like that nowadays!

Naama

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine, that is the best ad I've seen in ages! Are there more where that came from? I think the girl to the right could have been even curvier.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Actually, being skin-skin-skinny was decidedly unfashionable in the '30s. As soon as the Depression set in, and skinniness became equated with malnutrition and unemployment, you started to see ads like this --

kelp-malt.jpg

ok, I totally need to find this Kelp A Malt stuff cuz I HATE being scrawny, I have no figure, just straight and no matter how much I eat or how much crap I eat, I can't gain weight, I'm constantly dizzy and weak and faint feeling, it ain't fun being thin all the time, so I'm all about trying to find a way to gain a little weight, any suggestions? :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cherry lips said:
LizzieMaine, that is the best ad I've seen in ages! Are there more where that came from? I think the girl to the right could have been even curvier.

There were lots of ads like this from about 1932-42 -- probably the most frequently seen were for a product called Ironized Yeast, a compressed yeast-iron dietary supplement that was heavily advertised in magazines and on radio. Invariably they'd show a sad, weepy, slope-shouldered, flat-chested, rail-thin gal who is rejected by men and ridiculed behind her back by her friends for her dreary, no-fun personality and her bony figure. After a two week trial of Ironized Yeast, however, she's bubbly, popular, 10 pounds heavier, and ready for a new career modeling sweaters.

Somewhere around here I actually have a bottle of Ironized Yeast. I'm afraid to try it though -- I can't afford to buy any new sweaters.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
There were lots of ads like this from about 1932-42 -- probably the most frequently seen were for a product called Ironized Yeast, a compressed yeast-iron dietary supplement that was heavily advertised in magazines and on radio. Invariably they'd show a sad, weepy, slope-shouldered, flat-chested, rail-thin gal who is rejected by men and ridiculed behind her back by her friends for her dreary, no-fun personality and her bony figure. After a two week trial of Ironized Yeast, however, she's bubbly, popular, 10 pounds heavier, and ready for a new career modeling sweaters.

Somewhere around here I actually have a bottle of Ironized Yeast. I'm afraid to try it though -- I can't afford to buy any new sweaters.

I remember being a kid and seeing Fleishmans yeast in the market and wishing I could try it, does ironized yeast still exist?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think Ironized Yeast, Yeast Foam, Tastyeast (a chocolate-coated yeast candy bar!), and such products disappeared from the market at some point in the mid-fifties, when multi-vitamin tablets became popular.

You can still get Fleischmann's Yeast in fresh cake form at most grocery stores though -- look in the refrigerated case near the cheese and butter. I've been known to nibble on it from time to time -- but be warned, eating the recommended "three cakes daily" might actually produce the sort of kick you'd get from a strong glass of beer! Maybe this was the real reason it was so popular in the twenties??

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watch out for yeast!

It is not natural to ingest that much of it at once. Everyone already has a certain amount of it growing in their intestinal tract, and if you get too much, ot takes over and makes you very ill indeed, as I was for THREE YEARS! Please do not get a yeast overload! It is not worth it!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
well it sounds scary hahaha I've never had beer so I don't know what it does to the body.... but yea, yeast overload...eeeeeesh! I think I'll just stick of eating regular foods, in the other thread Lauren mentioned drinking hot chocolate before bed every night, that sounds gooood! haha ;)

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen one of these on eBay. The Reduc-O-Matic. Despite the name, it is touted as more for stress-relief than weigh loss, although it does note you can drop 'two or three pounds' while you're at it. Also recommended for “harried husbands.” From Harper’s Bazaar, November 1941.

47b8da27b3127cceb7639db9af8900000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

“It operates like the bag of a vacuum cleaner. From a small box which you plug into the wall – it’s no more a strain on your fuses than an electric toaster – blows a flood of warm moist air, which brings up a furious perspiration. The bag zips neatly up to your neck and leaves your arms free to hold a book, a telephone, or a cigarette…. After a long hard day, or a long night, twenty minutes will boil out the poisons that cause the fatigue…. This amazing contraption is at Abercrombie & Fitch.”

Idledame

Practically Family
There was a fad in victorian times to put belladonna (also known as deadly nightshade-a very poisonous plant) in their eyes. "The common name belladonna originates from the historic use by women (Bella Donna is Italian for beautiful lady) to dilate their pupils in a time when it was believed that the dreamy, intoxicated stare thus produced was the height of fetching beauty; an extract of belladonna was used as eye drops as part of their makeup preparations. The Belladonna toxin's atropine content had the effect of dilating the pupil, thus making their eyes supposedly more attractive. Prolonged usage was reputed to cause blindness."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy