Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Things Women Will Do...for Beauty

Odalisque

A-List Customer
LelaViavonie said:
Oh my goodness... that must have been horrible.

It was usually taken in small doses, so the risk of poisoning was more long-term.
Apparently, it was enjoyable at the time and highly addictive. Like smoking cigarettes I guess.
But yes, horrible effects long term.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i was horrified by tales of victorian cosmetic surgery where they would inject hot parafin wax into their faces (or other body parts that required re-shaping (breast, anyone?)) and then mould it to suit a new shape (say if you wanted a new nose)...

however it would move about under your skin, particularly if you went out in the sun and give you paraffinomas or "wax cancers", plus was dangerous and difficult to remove

blerch... It was shown on the Blood And Guts: A History Of Surgery documentary series

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
SH*T THATS GROSS!!!!!!!
yuck all the stuff they did in the victorian days were insane!!!! no wonder all these victorian chicks lasted only 40 years.
i made my fiance read all the wax injection and belladonna stuff,and the look on his face was PRICELESS.
lol :eek: :p

laurakitty

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
It is not natural to ingest that much of it at once. Everyone already has a certain amount of it growing in their intestinal tract, and if you get too much, ot takes over and makes you very ill indeed, as I was for THREE YEARS! Please do not get a yeast overload! It is not worth it!

I have candida! How did you get rid of yours? It's such a nightmare.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
miss_elise said:
i was horrified by tales of victorian cosmetic surgery where they would inject hot parafin wax into their faces (or other body parts that required re-shaping (breast, anyone?)) and then mould it to suit a new shape (say if you wanted a new nose)...

however it would move about under your skin, particularly if you went out in the sun and give you paraffinomas or "wax cancers", plus was dangerous and difficult to remove

blerch... It was shown on the Blood And Guts: A History Of Surgery documentary series

Makes me think of the I Love Lucy episode (L.A. at last), where she meets William Holden. It's the one where she puts the putty on here nose to disguise herself, and it lights on fire, while Ricky lights her cigarette....classic.
:eusa_clap

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
laurakitty said:

Oh man...that sucks. I had a friend that had it. She went to a health food store and had gotten a bunch of products that were yeast-free/low in sugar. The doctor can give you medication to rid of it. It's probaby an antifungal, that you take orally. The doc suspected I had it (from years of antibiotics) and told me what they do. I lucked out though, and tested negative for it.
I hope you get better. I can imagine it frustrating!

Also try Web MD, to look it up.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
laurakitty said:

There's definitely no other way to get rid of it than going to the doctor and getting something for it. I got a suppository + some cream, which got rid of it in a matter of days.

Emer

One of the Regulars
::shudder::

miss_elise said:

That's horrifying! Although, it might explain a few things about Michael Jackson...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy