Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Very nice! Even in this condition a nice collectable. The chest pocket is rather unique!

Yes, tailoring in the Netherlands too was largely oriented towards the "German school".
Though I can imagine that they also paid attention to the "British school".
One has to see more Dutch stuff to say this for sure.

I have recently found a ca. 1938 German suit which is very similar to yours, Dostioffsky.
Except that it is navy pinstripe and has a normal chest pocket. Photos will soon follow.

BTW, your suit would've also fit to the "German suits thread". There is already some Dutch and Scandinavian tailoring included there.

Last edited:

Claudio

Vendor
Very nice and increadible pocket detail. The trousers are indeed short but if worn with boots you could get away with it (looks 'OK? on the pciture). I think the main problem is the sleeve length, need to wear a longer sleeve to cover your wrist and will look much better

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Thanks all, for your comments.

Interesting jacket, Papperskatt! It does seem like some 'novelty' an early 20s tailor could come up with. Do you mean an actual measurement of 36 or size 36? Because size 36 should work.

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Dutch tailoring, it could very well be similar to German. I'll post this one and the other Dutch jackets (black peak lapel ones, I assume intended as morning jackets) in the German suits thread! Perhaps seeing them together would shed some light on what is Dutch tailoring. -I look forward to see your suit, Fastuni!

Regarding leg and sleeve length, the sleeves do have plenty of fabric to let out (the shirt's sleeves are indeed too as well, but I put it on for the pointy collar! :) ) The trousers, perhaps with the two centimeters extra, could be just OK with boots.

Rabbit, Thanks! I did see that thread. I shall post a picture there if I can come up with a good combination!

By the way, I forgot to mention. The trousers have zips in the back pockets, which seems a bit unusual to me? It does have a button fly.

IMG_6811_zps8928069c.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Wow the zipped rear pockets are exceptionally unusual. Never seen this before!

The trousers of my mentioned suit have a zipped front fly... rare enough for pre-war German suits.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Unusualest, to say the least. Now who would ask for zippers there?
The chap who had this suit made certainly had a thing with pockets. Any hidden pockets in there somewhere?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Are the zipped pockets original or were they possibly added later?

It's always good to see unusual features. I think it's great that there are always unusual styles appearing to keep us interested. I know it has been said a few times before, but the most exciting suits posted on the lounge these days are usually European.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The zippers themselves at least are certainly 1930's.

I know it has been said a few times before, but the most exciting suits posted on the lounge these days are usually European.

That's probably also because European suits were usually costum tailored and therefore reflect also the quirks, desires and preferences of the individual owners and tailors.

American suits by and large were more standardized products that reflect the overall fashions, but less individuality.

Not a generalization - we have seen some very unsual and special US suits from the 1930's here recently, such as the striped belt-back SB by Hyena Stomp.

Last edited:

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Unusualest, to say the least. Now who would ask for zippers there?
The chap who had this suit made certainly had a thing with pockets. Any hidden pockets in there somewhere?

Haha! No, none that I could find at least!

I wondered too if the zippers were added later or not. But if the zippers themselves are 30s, I suppose they're original.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Got this in from an Australian eBay seller recently... it's unusual when the front of a belt back jacket is cooler than the back. It's got buttoned bellow / envelope pockets on the front. Suit has an NRA label in the inside pocket. Of Oklahoma origin (Adams Department Store).

The funny thing is, I recently posted a photo in the "show us their suits" thread of a gent wearing a suit with bellow pockets and lo-and-behold, one turned up on eBay! So I had to buy it...it was a godsend....

adams1.jpg

adams2.jpg

adams3.jpg

adams4.jpg

adams5.jpg

adams6.jpg

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Rare one! Nice find. Was it a good price?

I thought it was reasonable (I actually made an offer on it). I wouldn't say I got a huge bargain, but with eBay being as random as it is these days, I was happier offering a bit more than its starting bid and actually winning it rather than letting it ride and see it sell for some exorbitant price (call me paranoid!)

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
^HBK, that is an incredible jacket. Wowzers. I actually like the buttons on it better than on mine. (The seller of mine said they're made of vegetable ivory, though I know less about buttons than anything else...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo