Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I have a reddish brown 40's suit and it looks best combined with a white shirt and a bright red tie.
The neutral white of the shirt tames the "fiery" red. A pale beige or pink would work great, too.

With a pale blue shirt a dark blue tie would work well.

Here some (terrible) photos... but you get the impression:

SAM_3722.jpg

SAM_3710.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Thanks for the color matching suggestions, all. I've noted them for the next time I am perplexed with pairing this suit up. Hadn't thought of pale pink, that might work quite well. And I'm always glad for an excuse to hunt up more red ties!

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Another suit snagged from ebay. Not nearly as well appointed as my last purchase, but these basic three piece suits are my bread and butter. I love them. Fabric is a brown/gray with a blue windowpane. The tan buttons and thread are perfect. The shoulders are also beautifully constructed, with pleasingly dimpled sleeveheads that remind me of a "shirt shoulder" - I'm forgetting that spiffy name the Italians have for it.

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Spalla camicia. Really nice suit, the pattern in the fabric and the color of the buttons in particular. What's the width of the trousers at the cuff?

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
there should be a noticeable 'edge' where the seam allowances have been pressed onto the body side of the armhole, rather than pressed open or pressed to the sleeve side.

Thanks HBK - Revisited that thread and I think I see what you mean - the terminology was a bit hard to parse for me, being an unstudied layman on these matters, but it sounds like you are saying the curvature at the top of the shoulder is wrong for Spalla Camicia? There should be a noticeable raised ridge on the body side of the shoulder? I'd assumed Spalla Camicia because of the way the sleeve exhibits a similar waterfall effect that is unique among my small collection. What would be the more accurate way to describe the shoulder construction on this suit?

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Patrick, they look like classic shoulders to me. what you're calling the 'waterfall' looks like the result of a decent amount of sleevehead wadding and a few dimples where the sleevehead has been eased in (not a bad thing... most sleeveheads have some amount of dimpling).

a really raised / prominent sleevehead is often called 'roped' but these aren't that extreme.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
what you're calling the 'waterfall' looks like the result of a decent amount of sleevehead wadding and a few dimples where the sleevehead has been eased in (not a bad thing... most sleeveheads have some amount of dimpling).

Dimpled Sleeveheads it is. Will amend my original post accordingly. Thanks.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
I just picked up this one; hasn't even come in yet BUT I figured the seller's pictures were wayyy better than anything I could take, so why not post them. :D I'll probably take my own pictures when it comes in anyway. I think those widely-space stripes will go good with my new pencil mustache. ;)

Simple Belt Back. Dated November, 1938. All wool, of St. Louis origin. About a size 36.

striped1.jpg

stripe2.jpg

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Love the dropped belt loops with the higher two button closure on the trousers. And the restrained pleating along the jacket's back belt. A great suit, HS. Is it black or charcoal?

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Love the dropped belt loops with the higher two button closure on the trousers. And the restrained pleating along the jacket's back belt. A great suit, HS. Is it black or charcoal?

Seller says black, but it's hard to tell exactly since the lighting varies on the photos, so I'll see when it comes in. Also, it doesn't help that I'm colorblind. :eusa_doh:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I just picked up this one; hasn't even come in yet BUT I figured the seller's pictures were wayyy better than anything I could take, so why not post them. :D I'll probably take my own pictures when it comes in anyway. I think those widely-space stripes will go good with my new pencil mustache. ;)

Simple Belt Back. Dated November, 1938. All wool, of St. Louis origin. About a size 36.

Saw that one, glad that a Lounger got it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn