Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I considered putting this hypothesis forward as well. I looked up sanforisation on Wikipedia (of course), but could find no accounts of the process changing the look or feel of the fabric.

I don't know much about the processes but whenever i have seen/felt sanforised cloth in the past (rayon scarves) it does have a shinier look and different feel to standard rayon.

Burn it, Patrick. Note what it smells like, how it burns (slow smoulder, flames - what colour? - popping and crackling) and the nature and consistency of the residue. That should tell you what it's made of.

fbc1.gif

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Burn it, Patrick. Note what it smells like, how it burns (slow smoulder, flames - what colour? - popping and crackling) and the nature and consistency of the residue. That should tell you what it's made of.

Been craving a good marshmallow roast. Guess I've found the kindling! I'll post sample residue in this thread afterwards, and take a poll on where everyone thinks the consistency of the ash falls on your chart.

P.S.
Hoping it's not made of fiberglass, asbestos, or metal

Last edited:

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Another recent acquisition - the brown 30's suit that birthed the whole 1970's. Certain this one is wool, no burn testing necessary. Pleats and fake pocket flaps on the vest front are nice touches.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I rather like the waistcoat style. You can certainly see the way suits of that style influenced the seventies - even more so than many others of the period. I think it's that bit of curve on the lapels (and the fact that it's brown).

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Great suit overall but that vest is the best! I really like the details.

Yeah, the vest sold me on buying it. I just can't figure out - why FAKE pocket flaps? If you're going to go through the trouble of putting pocket flaps on the vest, why not make them functional?

DamianM

Vendor
Another recent acquisition - the brown 30's suit that birthed the whole 1970's. Certain this one is wool, no burn testing necessary. Pleats and fake pocket flaps on the vest front are nice touches.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg
This suit only lasted a couple of hours before you purchased it. It sure is a great suit and for the price it better be.
But like most amazing pieces, its tiny.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, the vest sold me on buying it. I just can't figure out - why FAKE pocket flaps? If you're going to go through the trouble of putting pocket flaps on the vest, why not make them functional?

I have a vest with pocket flaps on the lower pockets, and they are a little inconvenient in that the watch chain can get a little hung up. But it's not that big a deal. My guess is it's just a novelty for the look of flaps but still regular pockets which the buyer would have been more familiar with. Can you post some detail shots of the flaps? Are they stitched down below the long straight line of stitching in the middle?

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Beautiful suit!! I was watching that one closely on eBay, and waited just a bit too long in decided whether or not I wanted to buy it. Glad it's gone to a fellow lounger anyway! ;)

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words gents! Struggling now to match colors with that very red brown hue.

Can you post some detail shots of the flaps? Are they stitched down below the long straight line of stitching in the middle?

Gladly Nick -pardon the delay, just back home after a couple weeks abroad. The pockets are NOT stitched past that middle line you mention. They flap free. And the underside of the flaps are even lined!

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

96537cd1-97b7-4962-9c69-269c980f764b.jpg

680dd384-32ae-4248-abf7-1ff443eadac2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace