The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. michael78

michael78 One of the Regulars

Thank Gents for your input!...reckon Penneys is a good suggestion

2. michael78

michael78 One of the Regulars

Hey! Matt...thats a GREAT! shout....think you guys cracked it!!

Mean Eyed Matt likes this.
  3. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

Wow - I'd say that's pretty conclusive. Good job Matt!

Mean Eyed Matt likes this.
  4. Jason W.

Jason W. New in Town

My 1939-1945 suit and the 1930s suit. Is the brown suit early, mid, or late 1930s? (1930-1933, 1933-1936, or 1936-1939)

Attached Files:

PeterB and Michael A like this.
  5. Jason W.

Jason W. New in Town

How do I remove silverfish brown stains all over this suit? Ordered this suit last July and silverfish came out and there were stains everywhere.. Does drycleaning help this early 1930s-mid palm beach suit?

Attached Files:

6. Patrick Hall

Hi Jason,

in regards to the brown double breasted suit you bought from Jeffrey Solis, it's hard to date it with much more precision than he already has. I went and looked at the other photos of it on his FB page - I'd hazard a guess that it is mid-to-late-30's based on the shoulder expression and the lapel shape. When it arrives, if it hasn't yet, check the inner pocket for a dated tailor's label, or a union label. Regardless of the specific date - it's a gorgeous suit in a very iconic drape cut. Wear it in good health!

In terms of the Palm Beach suit you purchased, my experience is that dry-cleaning is not particularly effective any more. I suspect it's because all the really effective dry cleaning chemicals they used to use were literally death-sludge, and the stuff they use now is much less toxic but doesn't work very well. But you are in luck, because Palm Beach Cloth was designed to endure a good wet clean. The jackets are not canvassed, and have a simple shoulder construction that lacks any sort of padding that might be damaged by water. I have rehabilitated two 30's era PBC suits that had very significant staining with great results, by submerging them in a hot water/oxygen bleach solution for six hours. In the US, oxygen bleach is marketed as "Oxyclean." With both these cream PBC suits, after a long Oxyclean bath they came out looking like I'd just bought them off the rack, after a fresh water rinse, air-dry and a press of course. For maintenance after your suit's first deep clean, a detergent and water bath once a summer ought to do the trick. The only risk with a wet clean of fabric this old is dry-rot. If the fabric has rotted, the stress of a wet clean will do it no favors, and you'll end up with tears. But, if the fabric is rotted, the stress of WEARING the suit would have the same damaging effect. So, this is a risk I have always happily taken. Only once did it bite me in the ass, with a 30's cotton pincord suit that turned out to be rotted.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  7. Jason W.

Jason W. New in Town

The Brown suit arrived two weeks ago. It doesn't have any labels on it.

Patrick Hall likes this.
  8. Patrick Hall

Sometimes that happens, unfortunately. Well, mid-to-late 30's is the best bet I can give you. Perhaps others have more specific guesses. Hope you'll share some of your own photos of your recent acquisitions! They look beautiful.

9. 101 Pathfinder

101 Pathfinder A-List Customer

Those double breasted suits are still stylish by today's standards ....

PeterB likes this.
  10. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

The green one is amazing! I reckon that's one of Marc Chevalier's suits.

11. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

My new-to-me 1930s double breasted palm beach suit. Now, for the spring and summer to come...
    20200213_151706.jpg 20200213_151809.jpg 20200213_151853.jpg 20200213_151815.jpg 20200213_152124.jpg 20200213_152058.jpg 20200213_151755.jpg

12. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

Palm Beach suits are always a good choice.
    Yours is a particularly fine specimen: Congrats!

MondoFW likes this.
  13. miket5r

miket5r A-List Customer

Hi
    Here my new John Dillinger double breasted suit, made by Magnoli Clothes
    [​IMG]

14. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

Let's keep this thread for authentic 1930s suits. Reproductions are fun, but let's keep it original.

15. Menswear and Trains

Menswear and Trains New in Town

In addition, if anyone wants to sell their 1930s suits (Why would you), this would be the perfect thread to do it

the_imperialist likes this.
  16. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

@resortes805 the originator of the thread has requested we limit this thread to original 1930s suits. I think this is a valid request. 1930s reproductions can go in another thread.