Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The tie, a date-killer??

Kimberly

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
American Trad: Defined

That's a very good point. We deal with business associates in Europe and their style is very different from what we see in our offices. The suits are generally darker and more fitted, the shirts and ties are often silk and they wear the most amazing shoes. The women in the office oooh and aahhh over them after they have left the office. lol

I think American Trad can look very appealing on a man if he does it right. My boss is a Brooks Brother addict but he does the preppy look very well and puts thought into what he wears from the shirt all the way down to the shoes. I honestly think approximately 60% of the men I see in my office allow their wives to shop for their shirts and ties and don't give it a lot of thought.

patrick1987 said:
She: "I'm going to look at you in horror because you look like my dead grandfather even though I'd actually be lucky to have a date with that kind of guy instead of a 30-year-old sk8boi but since I'm so cool I can't express that because that would mean I care and it's uncool to care so your tie is stupid."
It also is all about "ME" the cult of me-ism. What does it mean to ME, how does it affect ME, how could you be so cruel to remind ME of my grandfather. ME, ME, ME. Note how frail the modern world is all puffed up about self and how hard life is on one's self. Did you ever get the feeling that if we transported every one that is under 50 back to the Great Depression or WWII, they'd all collapse into quivering heaps of bloated sacks of protoplasm?
:eusa_doh:
Good riddance.

Charm school says "And remember a good conversation includes others!"

"Now enough of ME talking about ME, tell ME what do you think of ME!"

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Question is.....did he even ask her if that was really the problem?

Or did he -assume- it was the tie.......

Like Daisy said, maybe it was something else. He never said what they talked about and if the conversation was nice or not. Mayhap he is a boring conversationalist....or any other number of things.

No where in the article did he offer actual quotes from women about tie hating.....its all his take on what women think about them.

I suspect I wouldn't want to date "Mr. Jump to Conclusions" either....tie or not.

Kimberly

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
It also is all about "ME" the cult of me-ism. What does it mean to ME, how does it affect ME, how could you be so cruel to remind ME of my grandfather. ME, ME, ME. Note how frail the modern world is all puffed up about self and how hard life is on one's self. Did you ever get the feeling that if we transported every one that is under 50 back to the Great Depression or WWII, they'd all collapse into quivering heaps of bloated sacks of protoplasm?
:eusa_doh:
Good riddance.

Charm school says "And remember a good conversation includes others!"

"Now enough of ME talking about ME, tell ME what do you think of ME!"

LOL John, I hear you loud and clear! I was at a shower and was the one bravest to sit next to my grandmother because none of the other grandkids can handle her as they don't get her. I am 38 and the closest thing to hardship I remember was the gasoline shortage in the 70's. lol

What is so ironic about the "me-ism" in society is that it's all about "me" but when it comes to fashion many follow the "we" mentallity which is to follow trends and not stand out. [huh]

rockyj

One of the Regulars
The tie problem?

I don't know what the big deal is. I mean It would be one thing if the guy showed up dressed only in a tie. Now that would be something to worry aboutlol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My default weekend look. So this little piece of silk is a deal breaker?

Shoes076.jpg

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I tell ya what...looking at the goofy-@ss fashions in the L.A. Times, I think I'll stick with what I'm wearing. $2,500 for a silver wallet chain? I swear, some of the dumb things they put in their fashion shots amaze me. Who on earth would wear that kind of crap?

Give me a break.

If you ask me (not that anybody at the Times did :) ), I'd say two things: a woman who didn't understand or appreciate someone who dresses nicely for their work isn't worth the time of day, and second, most of the women I know are, to lesser or greater degrees, complimentary and appreciative that I wear nicer clothes than the norm in the workplace.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I adore a great tie on a man-- one of the best accessories a man can wear, IMO, right behind a hat and cufflinks.... I have a thing for cufflinks:D

Gentlemen, never stop wearing your ties!

anabolina

A-List Customer
I agree with you Adelaidey. Men look so sexy in ties. There's just something about them, hmm. I think the only time I see men in ties is at church (I work in a community college campus library) which is rather unfortunately not condusive to flirting. Anyway, as ya'll have said, LAs a pretty casual town.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
American Trad: Defined

I guess I will stick up for trad. I differentiate "trad" from what you could call "American boardroom" style.

Trad is repp bow ties, BB sack suits with plain-front trousers, button-down collar oxford shirts, Alden cordovan loafers.

American boardroom is Jos. A Banks darted 2-button suits with pleated trousers, "power"/wierd ties, blue point collared shirts, rubber-soled Cole Haan shoes.

I wear "old school" trad a lot of the time, and seldom see anybody else doing so even in the Northeast. American boardroom style is what is typical of the "just throw on a suit and a tie" look, and can be recognized the world over, just as the modern British executive style can, or the Italian.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
anabolina said:
I agree with you Adelaidey. Men look so sexy in ties. There's just something about them, hmm. I think the only time I see men in ties is at church (I work in a community college campus library) which is rather unfortunately not condusive to flirting. Anyway, as ya'll have said, LAs a pretty casual town.

Does your library have a copy of The Three Musketeers? :whistling

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Letters to the L. A. Times "West" Magazine today, re: the original article about ties being (supposedly) dead:

They're Not in Knots Over Wearing a Necktie
May 6, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed J.R. Moehringer's eulogy to the necktie, but I think it is rather premature ("I Think Knot," Men's Fashion, April 15). My husband, an attorney, wears a necktie with a double Windsor knot to work every day. The company I work for requires men to wear neckties. They're the only article of clothing that gives a man's attire some pizazz. I can understand that they are uncomfortable, but then men should try wearing high-heeled shoes.

Chris Jacobovitz

Burbank

I can remember when a man wouldn't be allowed into a nice restaurant unless he was wearing a jacket and tie. If he showed up improperly attired, the restaurant would offer to lend him a jacket and tie, which he would wear while in the restaurant and then return when he left.

As Moehringer eloquently stated, the demise of the necktie has coincided with the equally sad death of civility, courtesy and good manners. Our society has become increasingly coarse, vulgar and uncaring. I only hope that the pendulum, having swung so far away from simple courtesy and good taste, will swing back—and soon.

Robert Marks

Via the Internet

Fortunately, we still have propriety and good manners in our downtown Superior Court probate departments. In an era of confrontational counsel, brashness and contrived casual dress, an oasis of professionalism, mutual respect and, yes, neckties exists in probate court.

More than three decades ago I recall one of our judicial officers inquiring of a young attorney, "Young lady, is that the way you dress for court?" That probably wouldn't happen today, but we still have an aura of decorum and professionalism in those courtrooms that is refreshing in today's culture. In recent months, I cannot recall one male attorney without a necktie. Some things deserve to be left unchanged.

Tom Stindt

Los Angeles

I recently attended my mother-in-law's 80th birthday celebration at a Los Angeles country club where formal attire is still required at dinner. If the men in the family didn't arrive in suits and ties, she forewarned, "Don't bother to show up." If men's neckties are falling out of fashion, as Moehringer maintains, she didn't care.

Since my husband's idea of dressing up is a Tommy Bahama shirt and my 17-year-old son hadn't worn a suit and tie since his first communion, I took advantage of a recent menswear sale. There the saleswoman doted on my husband and son, fitting them with designer wear and neckties.

The expression on my mother-in-law's face when they showed up at her birthday party, looking as put together as Will Smith on the red carpet? Priceless.

Jennifer Anderson

Fallbrook

Moehringer seems to feel that women think neckties make men look stuffy. I am here to tell you that there is one woman left in the United States who feels that a tie is one of the sexiest things a man can wear (the other is a black tux).

Back in the days when intimate moments in the movies were depicted symbolically rather than graphically, the scene always began with a man loosening his tie, then panned to a shot of waves pounding on the shore. Those were powerful images that are probably now only appreciated by moviegoers of a certain age.

Cia Barron

San Diego

http://www.latimes.com/features/mag...ory?coll=la-headlines-west&ctrack=2&cset=true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183