Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate aviator style jacket...

Mich486

One Too Many
Is Indiana Jones well dressed?!

Honestly I saw the movies several times and the last thing that stood out to me was what Harrison Ford was wearing. Maybe I was too young when I was watching them but even looking at them now... I don’t know...

897920d7c2994152a6aa8d09a75e7da3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I find that somehow endearing in such a big star.
My point was about that disproportionate A-2 jacket mainly, not about HF.
I repeat, I find that blousy extra roomy A-2 not endearing nor nice, doesn't matter who's wearing that.
P.S. I'm pretty sure that HF don't care of anyone's opinion about the jacket he's wearing, and that's possibly really endearing))

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, I know that he's a real pilot and of course I've read about this his (and J. Travolta's btw) passionate hobby. Of course I highly respect H.Ford and his inspiring flying hobby, he's fantastic man, really cool guy.
The point is - he definitely deserves the better made A-2 (made by JC or Eastman or BK or Real McCoys/The Few etc.) considering aforesaid things, doesn't he?

I sometimes wear Wrangler's and t-shirts too - so what? No problem.
The thought was a bit of different. Whatever, O'k.

No doubt he "deserves" the best flight jacket available given his contributions to aviation, but also he deserves the right to defect from such an offer and follow his freewill.

The one beauty about airports (GA) is that high fashion hasn't infiltrated it. Guys (and gals) are just happy with their ovsized A-2s or pink shorts or whatnot. When I tried to give my dad my Eastmans or G-1s, his remark was "the leather's too stiff" or whatnot. Pilots, in my observation, value comfort over fashion.

Plus we have the bigger repro companies usually giving liberal size recommendations, or being generously cut in the first place.

Honestly I saw the movies several times and the last thing that stood out to me was what Harrison Ford was wearing. Maybe I was too young when I was watching them but even looking at them now... I don’t know...

These movies is what got me into leather jackets, perhaps even into paying attention to what I'm wearing in general so I definitely noticed it.

Funny... Now that I think about it, I always seem to prefer the jackets that fit like this.

Also, I need this jacket.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My fave flight jacket is my GoodWear, Capeskin, AI. Sleeves are a little short but that hide just is too marvelous for words. It is my "grail" jacket... gotten used here on the lounge. It's had many wearers but no "owners".

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
These movies is what got me into leather jackets, perhaps even into paying attention to what I'm wearing in general so I definitely noticed it.

Funny... Now that I think about it, I always seem to prefer the jackets that fit like this.

Also, I need this jacket.
Me too. This look is what led to this site starting up (MK our founder is a huge Indy head). The look influenced millions for some years.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

No one said well dressed. Iconic and influential - different things.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My point was about that disproportionate A-2 jacket mainly, not about HF.
I repeat, I find that blousy extra roomy A-2 not endearing nor nice, doesn't matter who's wearing that.
P.S. I'm pretty sure that HF don't care of anyone's opinion about the jacket he's wearing, and that's possibly really endearing))

We seem to be moving back and forth. My point is I like how he doesn't seem to care. The baggy jacket? I don't give a shit what he wears. He's Mr Ford. He'd still be cool wearing a potato sack.

Mich486

One Too Many
No one said well dressed. Iconic and influential - different things.

Never seen a single man dressed in a way that reminded me of Indiana Jones in real life but often you seem to see more of the things you are looking for.

Anyway, I find Indiana Jones movies unwatchable as an adult (had lots of fun as a kid) so I wonder how millions of men as you say got into this look.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Never seen a single man dressed in a way that reminded me of Indiana Jones in real life but often you seem to see more of the things you are looking for.

Anyway, I find Indiana Jones movies unwatchable as an adult (had lots of fun as a kid) so I wonder how millions of men as you say got into this look.

This is my take. Raiders of the Lost Ark remains a cinematic masterpiece, the other films get worse and sillier as they go - to my taste. Raiders was immensely influential on male fashion styles in the early 1980's and the after effects remain with us. Right here.

Raiders (which borrowed the Jones costume from earlier movies like China and Secret of the Incas) created a mania for worn A2's and other distressed leather jackets. No one really knew precisely what jacket Jones wore for years because all we had were poor photos and bad video. The internet finally sorted this out.

Raiders also helped bring back fedora hats. It brought back safari style gear and this influence was seen in many shops in the 1980's, from Banana Republic to Myer Melbourne. Was it millions? It might be close to that by now.

MK who started Fedora Lounge did so to provide more options for us to talk about hats, jackets and clothes from the era of Indiana Jones. Many of the early discussion were about Raiders gear. Jones started many a guy's interest in hats and leather jackets.

Here in Melbourne in 1980's, I spoke with hat shop owners and leather jacket makers who admitted that Raiders had made their businesses viable. I'm sure it helped out many businesses around the world.

Raiders spawned a number of imitations that also featured soldier of fortune fashions, often leather jackets and khaki pants, hats, etc - TV: Tales of the Gold Monkey and Bring Them Back Alive and in cinema: High Road to China. On it went for years.

To this day if you wear a pair of khaki chinos and a hat, you will probably cop a Jones snipe or compliment. That said I think the peak of this look was many years ago.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Any guy in Western Europe, at least, between the ages of 40 and 60 who wear a fedora today, there's a fair likelihood Indy has some influence.

I always liked what he wore - more specifically the suits in the University / Washington sequences. That's what fist sold me on thed idea of a sharp suit and a fedora.

I suspect the millions of women who wish their men were more like Harrison Ford may have had an influence also.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Head over to Club Obiwan and you will find a metric butt ton of Indy fans. If you think there are sticklers here about A-2's and G-1's, you aint seen nothing until two Indy fans start talking Indy jackets, fedoras and classic suits. Oh, and Alden 405 boots whether they be HF own boots he wore in ROTLA or later models in the other movies. I am guilty of owning three Indy jackets (two Wested and one Tony Nowak) and a pair of 405's.

Edward

Bartender
Head over to Club Obiwan and you will find a metric butt ton of Indy fans. If you think there are sticklers here about A-2's and G-1's, you aint seen nothing until two Indy fans start talking Indy jackets, fedoras and classic suits. Oh, and Alden 405 boots whether they be HF own boots he wore in ROTLA or later models in the other movies. I am guilty of owning three Indy jackets (two Wested and one Tony Nowak) and a pair of 405's.

I'd love some Alden INdys, but not at the inflated UK price. As I type, I *am* wearing a pair of the Wested Adventurer boots, which two months in are lovely things, look the part, and seem to be wearing as well as my RedWings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner