Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The value of Lady's friendship

Foofoogal

Banned
As I am new in an area I am forcing myself to get out and meet new people. It is hard but necessary.
I do think though in other times it was much easier for women.
Chatting over the fence while hanging laundry and such, having the children out playing you would pretty much get to know the neighbor ladies.
I do feel very sorry for those without other ladies to be friends with but time does change things so hang in there.
Join clubs, do volunteer work. I though would rather have one good friend than 10 fair weather ones. Different friends or acquaintances for different things. One to drink a cup of tea with and one to bare your soul to.
I do also think times and seasons play a big role. Sometimes it is good to get alone time for awhile to learn to be alone basically and content. Hard but necessary. Then I think when one does meet a good friend there is much more appreciation for that friendship.
A friendship like a marriage needs to be nurtured. Little things like gifts etc. I believe.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

pinkshoes

New in Town
My mom is my best friend. :) I've had a few close friendships here and there. I've always been a kind of loner, shy and backward. That bothered me a lot when I was younger, but not so much anymore. I have a great family and many cats, and that makes me happy!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I would consider my sister my best friend. I'm pretty sure we know everything about each other and i would stop the world if she was in trouble. She's my best friend, without her, i wouldn't be who i am today.

If I was to think who would be my best friend out of the direct family circle. It would be 3 ladies in my life. One of whom i worked with only briefly, but we've maintained our relationship. Through boys and pregnancies, we still find time for each other and when we do get a chance to sit and chat it's like no time has passed. The other one has been a friend since i was about 8, of course we go through phases where we don't speak and kind of fall out of touch, mostly because she doesn't drive and i live on the opposite end of town and she hates the transit system. and the other is actually the daughter of my mom's best friend. We see each other only about 3 times a year, but its always like no time has passed. I love all 3 of these ladies and they are some of the best friends a girl could have.

I have other friends but i have a hard time placing them in the "best friend" category. They are girlfriends of my boyfriends friends and although they do help because they are all military girlfriends, i find that i am different. The other ones are into what would be considered normal for my age. Drinking, boys, and staying out late. I however, hate drinking (love boys ;)) but enjoy an early evening. Maybe that's why i don't get asked much to go out... oh well. I enjoy spending my quiet evenings in with my other best friend...my boyfriend. :)

SayCici

Practically Family
Magdalena said:
I don't get along with kids my age usually .All they care about is Hollister and texting and boys.I have my whole life ahead of me to worry about such silly things.My best friend is 49 years older than me.I don't think that age should matter.We paint the town red!!!
I'm glad you are so headstrong at your age! I always got along better with people older than me too, I still do.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My sister is by far my best friend. Oh I don't mean we always agree and we always get along, but even when she's making me absolutely crazy I know she is loyal, loving, protective, kind, trustworthy, and bluntly honest.

We have always been close. We are 2.5 years apart, but we were always the same size growing up (she was always tall for her age and I was always tiny for mine) and we were called "the twins" a lot. She is very shy with people and I was always talkative and sort of bold - she has always said she didn't HAVE to be able to talk to people, that was my job. lol

We're not the same size anymore - she's 5'7" and I'm 5'0" now - but we still share a lot of clothes and jewelry and all that.

I have other girlfriends I care very much about, but "like a sister to me"? Never. Not for me. My sister is my sister.

LuckyLady

New in Town
I've had only 3 friendships over my lifetime strong enough to call "sister," but all have faded/moved away and all I'm left with are memories.

I don't really have any super-close girlfriends now. Sure, I have girl friends, but no one I truly share a bond with.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
In school and college (70s & 80s) I didn't fit in with the girly girls, nor was I sporty enough for the others, so, though I had pals, and girls I casually called 'friend' at the time, I mostly was a loner.
More often than not I found myself one of the guys, without trying.
Now, in my early 40s, I've cultivated a larger circle of friends, and come to realize a good girl friend doesn't have to be 'just like me', but more of a good woman, good person, who will be there in times of need. Because of my past, it's awkward for me to share difficult times with others; I'm more of an internalizer.
I'll say my best female friend is a dear, dear, very retro/vintage woman hundreds of miles away. We met by chance, nearly two decades ago, through a magazine penfriend section. Since then, I've lived in her country, we've lost touch for periods of time, but she has also come to stay with me for weeks at a time (what dream times those were!), and I went to her fancy dress wedding in Devon nearly two years ago. I do love her, and know she would always be there to give me her honest opinion and support.
Thinking of her now makes me a little lonesome, knowing she is so far away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21