Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ain't no fur gonna fly as long as Lady Day and I have anything to say about it. The fur-wearers and the non-fur-wearers will get along with mutual respect for each other's positions, and if they can't, they best not post at all in this thread. And you'll be amazed how fast provocation will disappear as though it never had existed...

That said, I wish I had my grandmother's 1920's sealskin coat. But her sister got it instead, and it was never seen or heard from again. If the coat has sentimental significance for you, you should by all means keep it, even if you don't actually wear it.

Inky

One Too Many
I agree with Lizzie and will avoid any other fur related issues. If it is sentimental and important to you, then by all means keep it and wear it if you are comfortable. We don't all get such mementos from our relatives and it gives me pleasure to have a few things my Great-Grandmother wore.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I don't want to offend anyone who likes the look of fur, but this is my opinion.. I don't like it. Not just because of the issues about animal treatment etc, but purely from an aesthetic point of view I think it looks trashy and cheap, which is ironic as it's meant to cost a few bob.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I've worn my vintage furs to plenty of places besides vintage events. No one has ever said anything negative. And they never ask me if its real. Probably they can pretty much tell its real and that its vintage, mainly because of the styling of it.

Lauren said:
I only wear vintage fur to events as well. I'd be afraid of getting something thrown at me if I were to wear it out and about.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Because it is very hot in the summer where I am (like 95 in the back yard), I've taken mine to the dry cleaners that I use for all my vintage clothing, she has a furrier she works with that is keeping them for me in proper cold storage for furs until the fall weather arrives.

Foofoogal said:
Today what I think of fur it is 100 degrees and way to hot to be near it yet alone even think about it. Ask me again in winter. lol
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Okay Paul. All my pieces and the one fur coat my 15yo daughter has are vintage. Ladies wore real furs back then. Our daughter has like I do, worn hers also to non vintage events -including her H.S. Sadie Hawkins Dance (to arrive in, and to wear home)- the HS kids thought she looked fabulous in it! I love the luxurious look and the glamour of the old movies style about them.
360073203.jpg
359763381.jpg

360185156.jpg
359833809.jpg
369011332.jpg

Paul said:
Whilst writing the post I did think these days it would be impossible to wear a fur ( vintage events exempt) a great shame because is something just so special with a lady and her real fur. (vintage fur)
This maybe the place to show case your furs to every one and not one can through any thing.Just compliment you...:eusa_clap

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Thanks all for the input. :)

Gran's been gone since 199...6? 7? I haven't worn the capelet yet for a variety of reasons. Nowhere to wear it, mostly, but it also needs to be conditioned....I think they call it reglazing? Anyhow. For now, I have it in storage and I have a couple of other pieces of hers that hold just as much sentimentality, which I wear often.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
Win-win except for the animals who die. If someone really wanted to help, they could simply donate that travel money to habitat conservation and maintenance, and not expect something to give their life for it. Sort of like making a bum do a little dance for your change, right? Sounds like rationalization. Sounds like an excuse people tell themselves, and others, when they question their behavior. If some people can judge others for not dressing well, I can judge others for issues that matter to me, no?

Actually, just donating the money wouldn't get the desired effect. By showing the "locals" that they can make a living off the land, you encourrage conservation. Throwing money at a problem never solves anything, but by allowing people to make a living (and showing them that conservation can be profitable), you give them a financial incentive to protect the land.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but someone else started it, and I do have a bit of experience with eco-tourism and conservation.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
And don't forget that dog and cat fur is also being sold, although you won't know it. Pets are stolen and killed into the fur industry. But that apart - on no account would I wear fur vintage or otherwise. I haven't got a leg to stand on as I wear leather, wool, and worse silk, and claim to be a vegetarian. But nonetheless if you wear it you advertise it, and when people see it they thinks it's ok, and may be encouraged to wear it. Leather, wool etc is the by product of our omniverous tendencies. Fur is no longer a by product of our need to survive. It is a luxury market for human pleasure, like hunting for sport. No. No fur, no way, no how. Google some pictures of farmed or wild trapped animals. You'll find them, and while some of them are vintage others are not. The horror of them doesn't change over the years. Stepping off the soap box now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you wearing a shearling coat in your profile picture? Isn't that lamb fur?

As far as the vegetarian bit, I can see how non-veggies think there's a contradiction. But there are many reasons someone might choose to be a vegetarian, and there's a spectrum of vegetarianism, from completely vegan to those who eat fish. I'm in fact a vegetarian for environmental and social reasons, not for animal rights reasons. I have no issue with leather/fur/hunting, at least in general terms.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I have no fur, its to darn hot for it in the High Desert Summers.
I have heard from others and kinda in agreement, vintage fur was before the whole fur debate started, and its preserving a piece of history.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I would never wear fur - vintage or new - as I find it kind of creepy - the fur should remain on the animal. I can completely understand wearing fur if you live in an exceptionally cold climate but I would never wear it for fashion reasons.

I have a similar dislike for Alligator skin - for ages I was thinking about buying an alligator purse (as I had bought a pair of vintage alligator shoes which I have never worn) and for some reason couldn't bring myself to do it. I can't explain why I just don't like it....

Lillemor

One Too Many
I like the look of some real furs. I can't afford to buy any vintage or new. I only own a thrift seal fur because it was given to me by a SIL in-law two Christmas' ago. I do like the look of it but I would never have bought it even if I could've afforded it. Purely aestetical - the blond shade in some parts of it doesn't flatter my complexion. My official excuse for not wearing it much, is that I can't afford the care and maintenance of wearing fur regularly. I've only worn it a handful of times.

Certain family members in the U.S. have had some not very nice things to say about it and they seem to take forgiven that everyone's opposed to fur though that isn't the case over here. I see women of all ages wearing real fur in the winter half year. It's not the all no-no it used to be with everyone under 80. However, I still kick myself for having accepted the seal jacket. I'm not afraid of wearing it in my local area but I wouldn't wear it into a larger city or on the school and kindergarten run.

Maybe I'm the most hypocritical around here because I think nothing of wearing or owning leather and skin products yet I make such a fuss over a fur jacket and I eat all types of meat. I don't even know if the trim on my dune jacket is real or fake fur. I had a knit hat that had something fake or real fur laced through it. I never felt any guilt wearing them. I've seen a pair of gorgeous leather boots that have a fur trim at the top and I wouldn't hestitate to buy them though I've no idea what type of fur it is. I also wear silk and wool very happily though not silk very often mainly due to the cost of quality silk. Generally, I prefer synthetic fabrics for the ease of care and I don't feel very upset when synthetic garments tear or are damaged in other ways.

My experience with wearing fur - I don't think it's as comfortable or warm as a dune jacket. I really can't see any functional advantages to wearing seal fur over synthetic jackets/coats or even wool coats. I used to own a wool coat that was warmer and more comfortable. There's a tear in the lining I can't afford to fix. I hate that it always smells of lavender. I hate the whole trouble of getting it out of the closet and hanging it back again. The few times I've worn it, no one's glared at me or said anything.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
My opinion tossed into the mix:
I don't approve of fur trade. Not these days when we have such beautiful faux furs available.
I do own two vintage coats with real fur collars, though. I think they are beautiful and like wearing them. I do feel a bit sad that small furries died for it but I know that I'm not supporting modern fur trade.
I've never had someone comment negatively about my coats.

P

Paul

ChanteuseCarey both you and your daughter look fabulous , sorry for the late reply i have just court up with this thread.
chanteuseCarey said:
Okay Paul. All my pieces and the one fur coat my 15yo daughter has are vintage. Ladies wore real furs back then. Our daughter has like I do, worn hers also to non vintage events -including her H.S. Sadie Hawkins Dance (to arrive in, and to wear home)- the HS kids thought she looked fabulous in it! I love the luxurious look and the glamour of the old movies style about them.
360073203.jpg
359763381.jpg

360185156.jpg
359833809.jpg
369011332.jpg

This is a photo I took two weeks ago I am not sure if it counts as a fur coat, it's cream Swede with a real mink collar it is an original 1920's coat.
Image15.jpg

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Not to make enemies or anything.
But I love vintage fur. Don't take me wronge tho.
Any modern fur of today, I feel is wronge and I would never wear it.

But I see nothing wronge with wearing vintage fur. It's sad to say, but those animals have been dead for many years. So why let it go to waste? Especially if your like me and live somewhere that snows most of the year. Plus women back then wore real fur. I love vintage fur, own some, and will continue to wear it.

SayCici

Practically Family
Since it seemed people wanted this thread to die down, I wasn't going to add my opinion, but here it is since the thread seems to be staying:

I'm vegan (and a real animal lover), so I would never buy any modern animal product: leather, suede, silk, fur, wool, etc. Now, some of these things I don't abhor if they are vintage, like a 50s silk dress, because it hasn't caused any harm in quite a number of years.

But something like fur I can't accept old or new: I'm not saying to throw away your grandmother's jacket, but to me, wearing something like that out, when most of the people who will see you don't know the history of the garment, is saying fur is fashionable and you should go out and get yourself a fox stole too. The same goes for any kind of a shoe that really looks fresh off an animal's back. I wouldn't want someone to think that I support that 'business'. It's garish and cruel.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
If you don't mind me asking, what do you wear? Linen/cotton or mostly synthetic products? How do you balance the greater environmental impact (and thus habitat destruction and cruelty to animals) of petroleum based artificial materials against things that use animals but does not kill them, like wool and peace silk?

I mean it as a thoughtful question not a AHA WHAT A WEIRDO I HAVE YOU NOW sort of question.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay Ladies,

Lets keep this chat about fur and not splitting the hairs about the pros and cons of how someone chooses to live their own personal philosophies.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21