Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

Weston

A-List Customer
Glad you all approve! But any identification you can do on the coat? What sort of style is it called? Any idea of valuation on the coat? Without a firm idea of what any of it is worth I'm afraid it will wind up as a lot on eBay. :(

But I do have a lot of bills, and I think my Grandmother would understand the need to separate from them to pay off school.

Kind of a shame fur is out of fashion – vintage would be perfect, since these animals aren't getting any less dead! Alas, my wife has no taste for it.

Josephine

One Too Many
I have one very much like your first one. Don't know what kind it is either. :D

GMaFur1.gif

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have one like number 1. I paid $40 for it. I also have some of the long fur pieces- only mine have the heads/feet attached. I didn't pay over $20 for them.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Number 3 is quite special, isn't it? Personally, I haven't seen anything like that before. It's very lovely. Is it blue in real life, like it seems in the picture, or is it grey?

Weston

A-List Customer
Hmm...it's downstairs, I'll have to check. I've reluctantly moved these items to OFAS, and hope for a good price there. I am "macrossmaster" if that is not breaking any rules. Thank you all for your help – I hope these can find good homes to stylish ladies who will wear them proudly. The last thing my dearly departed Grandmother would want is for them to languish away.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I paid 40$ for a very wide coat collar (it's not like the #2 pics). It is very large (covers shoulders completely) but not quite a wrap.

It is fox.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Weston said:
Glad you all approve! But any identification you can do on the coat? What sort of style is it called? Any idea of valuation on the coat? Without a firm idea of what any of it is worth I'm afraid it will wind up as a lot on eBay. :(
<snipped>

Yes, I have a pretty good idea what these are and the specifics. May I please have close up of the label(s) and the reverse images of the same fur pieces in the same order? The closer the better on the small pieces, no need to show a pic of the wrap; I already know that piece and it's estimated valuation.

Thanks,

Vintage Betty

Naama

Practically Family
Vintage Fur - a bit more acceptable then modern, I think, but I myself, wouldn't wear it. I'm a vegetarian and I hate the smell of real fur also real fur to me is a bit creepy and morbid, don't you think?

New Fur - I really think that I need to tell anyone under what kind of kondition those animals are held and killed. I just think thats something really, really horrible.....

Fox Stoles and things with heads CREEPY!!!! I can't even touch them! I think those things are really disgusting to me (sorry, don't want to be mean or anything, but that's my point of view)

Naama

Oh no I just wanted peoples opinions, it's not mean!

Everyone I've spoken to thinks that things with heads is creepy. I guess I agree really :rolleyes:

I would never buy a new fur, I realise that's probably a case of double standards, but a vintage fur has been, well, dead for an awful long time so there's not a lot I could do about that now.

Naama

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I would never buy a new fur, I realise that's probably a case of double standards, but a vintage fur has been, well, dead for an awful long time so there's not a lot I could do about that now.

With me it's somehow, the same. But I just couldn't wear it myself.

Oh, and somewhere, I saw a faked stole, I think that's pretty funny! I just can't remember where I saw it! Too bad.

Naama

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
My 2 cents:
New fur is pure evil.
Vintage fur is glamourous! I have an astrakhan (unborn lamb) coat, a coat with a dark brown fur collar (don't know the animal) and a jacket with a mink (I think, it's white/silvery) collar, all from the 50s. The astrakhan is the warmest winter coat I own, really heavy. The way I see it, like all other vintage clothes these should be loved and used, not hidden or thrown away.
I'm a vegetarian but I do have new leather shoes. I once looked at a fox stole like the one Dolly's talking about, and was fascinated, but wouldn't wear one myself (the face is a little too much). However, if someone wore (a vintage) one, I don't think I'd mind, I mean every glamourous movie star in the 30/40s had one! Since I admire them, I'd be a hypocrite to wrinkle my nose now. I know people that eat meat but won't wear vintage fur, so nothing's black and white I guess.
I admit my fur collar did make me feel a little self-conscious while visiting my vegan friend (vegetarians like me aren't that hardcore IMO, the male offspring of milk cows are slaughtered for meat, and it's not like the milk cows are leading a happy life themselves).

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
If you ladies don't mind a little different spin from one of the fellas....

Long ago here in America the "red indians", especially the plains tribes used the buffalo as a primary source of sustinance AND supplies. No part of the revered animal was wasted, everything had a usage, from meat, hides and fur for clothes and shelter, bone for all sorts of purposes, etc... Without the buffalo, those tribes would have ceased to exist.
I see the scenario here in the same light. The animal has been gone for quite a long time, and I would choose to respect for the animal now. Keeping something like that is akin to a relic. I would feel that I was honoring the beast long after it's demise by caring for, admiring, and using the earthly remains.

My .02 ladies

:)
The Daddy

olive bleu

One Too Many
DollyDayDream....FYI..somewhere around here there HAS been discussion of this, but i have been searching for about 15 minutes now, trying to point you in that direction but i am coming up empty..

I'm sure someone else will come along soon that knows exactly where to find it:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Folks, it does not matter if fur has been dead for a long time or not. Even when you wear vintage fur, you are condoning fur as a glamourous, luxury item and are therefore indirectly supporting the fur industry.

No one knows if your fur is old or new, and as much as I hate to say it, when people see you on the street with vintage fur, they will usually think the same thing they would if it were new fur, because they just don't know the difference.

I encourage you to donate furs to your local animal shelters or to the Humane Society of the United States, who "sends all furs to wildlife rehabilitators, who use them as bedding and nesting material for the animals in their care. All donations are tax-deductible." More here.

And yes, this topic has already been beaten to death many times over here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo