Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

Miss Brill

One Too Many
olive bleu said:
I grew up in a family where hunting was a means of survival( and yes, when you are living on a tiny island in the North Atlantic that is locked in with Ice at least 4 months of the year it IS survival).I don't hunt . I live in a city now and don't need to., or wish to .But I still have family that live on that island and I support them. Life would certainly be easier if it were black & white.

But a rural life & the need to hunt is different than hunting for sport. People shouldn't enjoy or relax by killing things. The men in my family hunt because they like venison, they don't go to Africa to kill just for the pleasure in killing. Nothing is black & white, I know that. Hell, I consider myself an animal lover even when I leave McDonald's with my cheeseburger.

Pinkie

New in Town
I love the look of fur and I'm a vegetarian! I do have several coats with fur collars that are vintage that I love. I do have a full length faux fur coat; I think I could only wear faux. Fur is so luxurious that its hard not wrap yourself up in it during those chilly winter months. I only wish it got colder here...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When you go to Africa to hunt you are directly paying for habitat conservation and maintenance, you are paying for anti-poaching patrols and subsidies for affected farmers, you are helping to maintain healthy and sustainable animal populations and the meat is relished by locals with not a scrap wasted.

Win-win.

And that ignores the spiritual aspect.

http://www.amazon.com/Meditations-Hunting-Jose-Ortega-Gasset/dp/1885106181

Trapping wild critters (versus assembly line "fur farming") falls directly in wth hunting and fishing as a special communion between man and his natural environment.

Besides, sustainable trapping means a reduced supply of fur, which means an increase in price for fur products, which self-limits the amount of fur used/worn.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
carebear said:
When you go to Africa to hunt you are directly paying for habitat conservation and maintenance, you are paying for anti-poaching patrols and subsidies for affected farmers, you are helping to maintain healthy and sustainable animal populations and the meat is relished by locals with not a scrap wasted.

Win-win.

Win-win except for the animals who die. If someone really wanted to help, they could simply donate that travel money to habitat conservation and maintenance, and not expect something to give their life for it. Sort of like making a bum do a little dance for your change, right? Sounds like rationalization. Sounds like an excuse people tell themselves, and others, when they question their behavior. If some people can judge others for not dressing well, I can judge others for issues that matter to me, no?

carebear

Feel free to judge all you want, but conservation is about saving species, anthromorphic emotionalism is about saving individual animals.

Unfortunately, camera and other non-hunting wildlife recreationists don't contribute a significant or even useful amount of money to habitat preservation or species survival and protection.

They lose the entire forest by caring too much about any one particular tree.

Well-meaning, yet ill thought out, unintended consequences.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, I have a different take: I eat meat, I could see getting into hunting, I wear vintage fur, but I don't like modern fur's "harvesting" techniques or the agri-biz aspects. If I thought the animal was just shot dead I wouldn't be against it.

I do have leather jackets and shoes, though, so I don't see a reasonable reason not to wear my grandmother's fur coat. (Well, I do at the moment, it needs a new lining. But anyway...)

I would seperate hunting from fur-farming just like I would seperate taking a deer from the butchering practices of the modern beef farmer.

Elaina

One Too Many
I only wear hides of animals I eat.

No real reason. I don't like rabbit, and I don't want to wear one. I DO like cow, so I'll wear leather till...well, the cows come home. I also will eat snake (which accounts for my snakeskin pumps). Mink? No thanks. Probably why I never wanted one.

I did own a pair of shoes with Zebra on them. Made it hard with the whole weird thing of eating it. Was a real bugger trying to find THAT to eat. (And why I usually leave it at leather.)

carebear

Viola said:
My snakeskin boots are really snake-print leather. Don't tell! lol

Snake print? [huh]

But then how can they represent a symbol of your individuality, and your belief in personal freedom? :D

Weston

A-List Customer
Need help on vintage fur, ladies.

Hi ladies!

I have some of my grandmother's fur accents and one fur shoulder? fur (ie not full length). I have a mess of collars and sleeve furs that dress up coats. I can post pictures eventually, but I was wondering what they might be worth here on the Lounge. They're vintage, and I'm not sure what to do with the accent pieces, I know they won't be too much. But the sort of back length one I'm curious about – it's light brown and has "Furs by Krashine" on it. I know pics will help most – but any ideas? I want vintage lovers to have her beloved fur, not some mercenary from eBay ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Weston said:
I have some of my grandmother's fur accents and one fur shoulder? fur (ie not full length). I have a mess of collars and sleeve furs that dress up coats. I can post pictures eventually, but I was wondering what they might be worth here on the Lounge. They're vintage, and I'm not sure what to do with the accent pieces, I know they won't be too much. But the sort of back length one I'm curious about – it's light brown and has "Furs by Krashine" on it. I know pics will help most – but any ideas? I want vintage lovers to have her beloved fur, not some mercenary from eBay ;)

Photos would definitely help, for those who are interested in fur. I'm sure there are ladies here who will be interested. Keep in mind that there is, however, an increasing number of people, vintage enthusiasts included, who will not touch fur, vintage or not, because of the statement it makes.

The Shirt

Practically Family
As someone who likes to "recycle" fur - I think that color and condition can certainly help determine the worth. I think that some more rare colors/animals tend to fetch more $ (sometimes blacks, silvers, chocolates in my limited experience). Check for "cracking" under the fur. Some become brittle with age.

There are lots of ladies who adore - so please post when you can. I think it's wonderful that fellow loungers would prefer to try their luck here before ebay.

Vintage Betty

I've started liquidating some of my furs over the last couple years and have helped out with the fur sales for a charity shop I volunteer at for the last winter season. I can try to give you a pretty good idea of the highs and lows of pricing for some furs if you post detailed pictures.

With that in mind, I am not a fur expert or even that knowledgeable and I'm quite lousy at identification of furs. But I'll try my best.

Vintage Betty

Weston

A-List Customer
OK girls, I tried hard to get these pics to attach. Annoyingly, nothing worked. I couldn't get them to upload from a URL or my computer.

2370461134_38467a14c7.jpg

2370460922_5f64949aec.jpg

2369627591_36ccd56c23.jpg

BTW, Only info I have is that the topmost collar is Mink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk