Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

ITG

Call Me a Cab
After seeing the following video, I have no desire to wear real fur and will stick with the faux. I told my husband while watching this that I don't ever want him to buy real fur for me. Fair warning, this is not for the faint at heart and is very disturbing as far as animal torture goes to get fur off of a living animal...I admit to having shed tears:
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=fur_farm&Player=wm&speed=_med

olive bleu

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
I think being told off for wearing fur only happens in certain areas. I don't think it happens outside bigger cities. I've only seen one woman wearing a fur in the past 20 years, or so. She was an elderly woman in Nashville, and no one said anything to her about it, including myself, I figured since she was old she was of another generation & wouldn't see things my way, because she didn't grow up in the past 30 years. They have furriers in Tennessee, but I never see anyone wearing any fur. I do see girls wearing the "fun" fakes, the ones that don't look the least bit real.

There is an elderly lady in my church who wears a coat of sheared Beaver.She lives in my neighbourhood and from time to time, she takes the bus I ride to work.I always thinkg of Badger from the "Wind in the Willows " climbing on the bus.Cracks me up.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do

wear it, like it and never get bothered by anyone except very rude people about it. I don't care what people say who are not polite in approaching me. And funny, but I get the most negative comments when wearing a fake fur from the 40s, go figure.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have an old fur of my grandmothers, more like a cape than a jacket. I have never worn it, simply because it looks very dressy to my eye and I haven't had an occasion to wear it. My sister has my great-aunt's full length mink and wears it whenever it gets below 25F degrees. She says it's too warm to wear it if it's any warmer. She has worn it all over the country and the world and has never had anyone say anything nasty to her. I would never buy a new one, but have no problems with these pieces and consider them to be family heirlooms.

Liz

pennyseranade said:
I wouldn't buy a new one...but I have no issues wearing a vintage fur. If it is in good condition, why let it rot away sitting in a closet somewhere?

I agree with this completely! It seems like a waste to buy new fur when there's still so much vintage fur that could be worn instead (not to mention that it's much cheaper!).

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I bought a vintage fur-collared coat in Goodwill for 10 bucks and I wear it everyday. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

I don't have a problem with anyone wearing fur or not wearing fur. To each his own.

Antje

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
wear it, like it and never get bothered by anyone except very rude people about it. I don't care what people say who are not polite in approaching me. And funny, but I get the most negative comments when wearing a fake fur from the 40s, go figure.

I think it is brave you say this, but I myself actualy hate fur,
maybe hate is a big word, but I don't like the fact there all sweet animals killed for it.

But on the other hand if I were a eskimo (or something I just say something)
and it was really really freezing cold, than I would wear it, if there was'nt annything else.

But where I life there's plenty enough fake fur and It's not that cold so i don't have to wear fur.

I get a lot of comment on my statement because my boss is wearing real fur and I always have to say that I hate it, and she always is saiing to me that I eat pigs and cows and I have to admit.
And than I always have this thing about people are meant to eat vegetables and meat because our body's are build for that and it's not cold here so she doesn't have to wear fur.

Than it almost always makes here quit.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I'm kinda divided on fur. Part of me hates the idea, but the other part thinks it does look really amazing. I don't think I could bring myself to wear real fur, but if I did it'd have to be vintage, or at least second hand. I couldn't wear anything knowing that an animal was recently killed for my outfit - the thing with vintage is at least it's been taken care of and treasured for it to have lasted so long.

I don't hate on anyone who does wear fur, but I just feel more comfortable with faux fur right now.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
After seeing the following video, I have no desire to wear real fur and will stick with the faux. I told my husband while watching this that I don't ever want him to buy real fur for me. Fair warning, this is not for the faint at heart and is very disturbing as far as animal torture goes to get fur off of a living animal...I admit to having shed tears:
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=fur_farm&Player=wm&speed=_med

What do I think of fur? I love fur, on animals.
The sight of humans wearing animal furs is repugnant to me.
Vintage or not it makes no difference, the suffering and horror experienced by the animals is the same now as it was then. That doesn't change.

Thank you for posting this link ITG, it should be compulsory viewing by every person who wears furs or is thinking of doing so.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Love fur. Family is from Alaska - I have a silver fake fur from the fourties, and used to wear fur parkas, etc. (BTW, the wolf ruff on parkas are there for a reason. You don't want to take a deep breath outside with out one. You'll freeze your lungs.)

Left my Mothers full length mink in Seattle - can't wear it down here, it doesn't get cold enough.

Own, wear, and would buy new. BTW, I use make-up brushes: Sable (mink), badger, squirrel, goat, etc. There are some new French synthetics that are lovely, but most brushes are animal fur.

The admiration far outweighed any negative comments, but I have to tell you being petted by strangers on the street is very odd.

Not entirely unpleasant, mind you, but very, very, odd.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can understand disliking fur but going up to folks wearing it and commenting negatively, or worse assaulting them (yep, throwing paint can and should land one in jail), is rude and unbecoming.

Don't like fur, don't wear it. If by your example (or reasoned discussion with those known to you and open to your message, not strangers accosted in public) you can sway enough folks to also not choose to wear it, the industry will disappear as demand goes away.

To answer an earlier question, I believe most of the carcasses left over from fur farms are in fact ground up for animal feed, not "wasted", but I can't find a cite.

Wild fur trappers will usually eat the meat, feed it to the dogs, or use it as bait for traps.

Matthew

(Has trapped, would buy, does wear)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
What do I think of fur? I love fur, on animals.
The sight of humans wearing animal furs is repugnant to me.
Vintage or not it makes no difference, the suffering and horror experienced by the animals is the same now as it was then. That doesn't change.

Thank you for posting this link ITG, it should be compulsory viewing by every person who wears furs or is thinking of doing so.
Prior to seeing the video, I just assumed they took the fur from animals that died a natural death. With seeing the horror that these animals are put through, it's put a new light on things.

What I don't understand about people who walk up to others to chastise them about wearing fur is how can you assume from a distance that it is real or faux.Seems presumptuous. At least with me and my less than perfect eyesight, I'd have to touch it first to have an inkling as to whether it's real or faux.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have a sweater from the fifties with a fur collar. I am afraid to wear it though. I also saw a gorgeous wool and fur coat from the 1940's that I really want. It looks great and is in my price range. I am still debating on weather or not to get it. It will probably be gone by the time I make up my mind.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I am wearing a fur jacket today, (not particularly vintage, but particularly warm) which has fur collar and muffs around the sleeves. It is warmer than synthetic fur but it is obvious that it is real.

Some folks here at the University have made comments, mostly asking if it is real. When I tell them yes, they sort of recoil in what looks like disgust.

Can't please everyone I suppose.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
When I tell them yes, they sort of recoil in what looks like disgust.

That is why I don't wear anything that looks real, I don't want people to think I'm wearing it & think badly of me. I know how animals lovers think because I am one. I won't even date men who hunt.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
There are alot of coats out there advertised with faux fur, upon closer inspection, it isn't. Sometimes it is usually only rabbit, but I am no expert.

This coat was a gift, it is warm, and it sort of smells animally. Like I am holding my poodles right up to my face.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
There are alot of coats out there advertised with faux fur, upon closer inspection, it isn't. Sometimes it is usually only rabbit, but I am no expert.

Yup, I remember awhile back they exposed this. My fake wardrobe consists of a funky blue car coat, sort of like the one Sandra Dee wore in A Summer Place, a vintage-looking white neckpiece from Target, and a faux-shearling coat, also from Target.

olive bleu

One Too Many
carebear said:
You can be both you know.

This is a sensitve topic for sure.I do not buy new fur. I will wear old fur because, well, it's already there,and i also believe in reduce reuse ,recycle.
I am a vegetarian and i wear leather shoes and sheep skin. I grew up in a family where hunting was a means of survival( and yes, when you are living on a tiny island in the North Atlantic that is locked in with Ice at least 4 months of the year it IS survival).I don't hunt . I live in a city now and don't need to., or wish to .But I still have family that live on that island and I support them. Life would certainly be easier if it were black & white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21