Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Fur Thread

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
Animals are here for our consumption...I do not believe in animal cruelty however.
haven't heard about fur coat makers using cats and dogs though...It seems it just wouldn't look the same [huh]
No it doesn't look the same and it's illegal in the US.
But if you do some research you won't find your self wearing cat or dog fur.
What's sad is the art of making fur coats and accesories as well as leather tanning is being lost.
But now you'll have a harder time finding anyone who can repair or work with fur because of the animal rights movement.

I don't care about personal beliefs. If you think fur is wrong then don't wear it.
I will however say that if I am ever harrassed for wearing fur or worse yet if anyone ever tried to damage my fur or leather. They would deffinately have a fight on their hands and it would be worth going to jail for.

And yeah I know this is an old thread,but I'm glad someone brought it up.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The beauty of the system of government we have in the US is that you are free to disagree with people but you are not free to interfere with them doing (or wearing) legal things.

Personal ethics and morals (religious, health, sexual or fur-related) are not supposed to be forced on others.

Make your own choices and, (only) if asked, explain why you did so. Otherwise, leave other people and their beliefs (and their outerwear) alone and unharangued.

They have a position and an argument and it is equally as valid and well-reasoned as your own.

Isn't it waste if an animal is being killed for food, that the pelt is thrown away?

A lot of places are overrun with rabbits, which are seen as vermin. Foxes also. I don't see the problem with killing them & their pelts being used to make clothing. I admit, I have no idea how these things work, and certainly don't condone animal cruelty (I do not wish to have a lecture from anyone on this matter ok?!), but if an animal is killed in a relatively humane manner (for instance foxhunting is disgusting, a farmer shooting animals on his land, however is not) I don't see the problem.

My personal opinion there. I don't appreciate people judging me because of this. We can see in the 'fashion fads you love to hate' thread that many people have varying opinions on 'acceptable' clothing and this is really just an extention of that.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dollydaydream said:
A lot of places are overrun with rabbits, which are seen as vermin. Foxes also. I don't see the problem with killing them & their pelts being used to make clothing. I admit, I have no idea how these things work, and certainly don't condone animal cruelty (I do not wish to have a lecture from anyone on this matter ok?!), but if an animal is killed in a relatively humane manner (for instance foxhunting is disgusting, a farmer shooting animals on his land, however is not) I don't see the problem.

Yes, but this is not how it works at all. I'm not lecturing you, I'm just trying to educate you on the facts. Rabbits and foxes killed in areas because of overbreeding AREN"T used for fur! Animals raised for fur are raised in appalling conditions in tiny cages, often tortured, and usually anally electrocuted. Many times, they are not completely dead before they are skinned.

I agree that if an animal is killed for another reason, such as overpopulation or food, that as much of that animal should be used as possible, but that's just not how it works as far as fashion fur is concerned.

I know they're not. But as you pointed out, these animals are bred for their fur, not taken out of the wild & shoved in cages.

I believe it was you who seemed to be against the ressurecting of this thread, but you seem to have the most to say.

You lecture on the horrific elements of SOME fur farming, but not all farms are the same. Electrocution is used to stun most animals prior to killing, how would you suggest it be done in future?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Dolly, why are you getting so upset...surely you realise that fur and animal rights in general is something a lot of people feel very passionately about? In fact this is quite possibly the first time I have seen someone get so defensive about modern fur farming!

You can't (re)open a can of worms like the fur debate and not expect people to explain why they believe fur farming is cruel. It's by far the most common opinion on the matter.

I asked for peoples opinions on if the thought it was ok to wear fur. I didn't as for a lecture about fur farming. People got funny about the thread being reopened but then keep adding tot he thread. That's what's irritating.

I am in no way condoning the farming of animals for their fur, or the ill treatment of any other animals for similar means, be it food or otherwise. I merely asked if people thought it was acceptable to wear a vintage fur, and then people start on about modern methods of farming & killing animals...

I think it is wrong, however for someone to suggest that all farmers treat their animals cruelly, which is what has been done

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dollydaydream said:
I asked for peoples opinions on if the thought it was ok to wear fur.

Yes, and my opinion is that wearing vintage fur is not ok, because it still promotes the wear of ALL fur, including modern fur, as a luxury fashion item. I believe that wearing ANY fur (vintage or not) shows support for fur as a fashionable item, which indirectly supports the modern fur industry.

You ASKED for that opinion and then you got defensive when I chose to share it. If you read back through this thread, you will probably see other similar posts from me. Why do I keep repeating myself even though I don't like to? Because people keep asking!!! And because it's an issue I feel strongly about. I respect everyone's right to hold their own beliefs on the matter, but when even a few Loungers PM me to say that I've helped them see the issue differently, that makes it worthwhile to me to take a few minutes to repeat my beliefs when people ask.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I think what Dolly was trying to gauge was the type of reactions she would get if she wore fur. For example "Someone always says there grandmother had one just like it" or the oppossite "you must not love animals". Buts thats my interpretaion of the original question.(going back into her little corner)

Samantha

Mojito

One Too Many
I really can see both points of view, and have friends who collect vintage who passionately advocate both.

Personally, I only wear my vintage pieces (some of which are family heirlooms) at events in which they will be seen in the context of their era, and in which it would be understood that they are not modern.

For example, I have a black velvet 1920s dress that has a bit of ermine trim along the hem. This piece means quite a lot to me - I have a photo of the original owner wearing it, and have done some work on her background and history. It interests me as an historical piece, as it dates to a period when fur trim for gowns had been popularised by White Russian emigres in the wake of the Russian Revolution. I also like the aesthetic design - a simple, elegant white and black.

Would I wear it casually? No, and for generally the reasons that KittyT has set out. (I actually would have no compunctions about wearing fur today if modern fur generally fit several stipulations, mainly that fur was either hunted or farmed humanely and that it came from a non-endangered species. As these criteria are not generally met, I avoid fur). The same goes for other materials such as feathers - unless I am sure of what bird the feather came from, I wouldn't wear a hat from a potentially endangered bird. I always feel a bit uneasy around cabinets of PNG and Australian birds of paradise - popular in Victorian times, many of the species represented are often endangered now or even extinct (sometimes as a result of 19th /early 20th century collecting practices). However, while I'd never condone assembling such a collection today, I don't believe we should discard those historical pieces. We should see them in the context of their age.

I wear my fur pieces it to events where people already understand it is a vintage piece, or are in an environment where they can learn about period clothing. I don't wear it to signify a luxury piece - I wear it as part of an overarching authentic look. For example, a fur stole over a winter suit or coat. These pieces were sold to fit a huge range of budgets in the 1920s.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
Personally, I only wear my vintage pieces (some of which are family heirlooms) at events in which they will be seen in the context of their era, and in which it would be understood that they are not modern.

Thanks for making that point, Mojito! I don't believe vintage fur is an issue if it's worn in situations where there is a definite historical context. Period events or re-enactments are certainly a lot different than wearing your items out for a glamourous night on the town :)

Mojito

One Too Many
Indeed, KittyT - there's always a motley collection of old fur pieces at the big vintage events, worn by people who would never wear fur at any other time...particularly those with heads and tails! The wearers themselves often seem to view them as a curiousity, as very, very few people today would sling something with a complete, glass-eyed foxhead over their shoulders. People are always intrigued - and very puzzled - by the multiple tails and paws on the c.1930s stoles. It seems so alien to our contemporary ideas of beauty, and some of them seem not a little macabre - a sort of six legged, three tailed monstrosity. Take it out of the context of its period, and it can look downright bizarre.

One thing I do wish - if you do wear fur, consider retiring the pieces that have *clearly* seen better days (KittyT's suggestion of donating them is an excellent one). Pelts that are getting thin and tatty suggest decay to me, and combined with wide staring glass eyes, they can look like a rotting corpse. And they get that nasty smell. The wearer starts to look like a Mrs Havisham figure who has finally left the house for a stroll, slinging a bit of dessicated roadkill around her neck.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
you want my opinion dollydaydream, thats my opinion

HadleyH said:
What do I think of fur? I love fur, on animals.
The sight of humans wearing animal furs is repugnant to me.
Vintage or not it makes no difference, the suffering and horror experienced by the animals is the same now as it was then. That doesn't change.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Dolly is it possible that the very reason that you posted on this thread is that deep down you felt a little unsure as to whether you wanted to wear your fur or not?

It's not a decision to be born lightly as you do put yourself in the firing line for debate of this ferocity and not everyone you meet in the street will be as measured or coherent as the ladies on this forum.

As Kitty and some of the other ladies have pointed out the key to this is information and education.

In other words Dolly what I would say is wear what you want, as long as you have the information about where your fur came from and are happy with that, or if you don't want to know where it came from and are happy with that too then that's fine only you can make that decision.

You do need to be prepared though that amongst the swamp of injustice and exploitation in this world this is a hugely contentious issue and wearing your fur will (rightly or wrongly) throw you into the thick of this at times.

Act according to your own conscience:)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Okay here is an idea. I have a friend of mine here in Ohio that raises rabbits for show,meat and yes,she sells the pelts of rabbits she has slaughtered.

Any of you can go to www.peta-sucks.com and ask RRT (that is her user name) about raising rabbits and what she does with them. She will tell you honestly. She has no reason to lie.
You do not have to join, you can post on the guest board.
I will warn you some of the members like to flame and are much more hardcore. The rules of engagement are much different from this board.
So do your research before you start typing.

Part of the reason I'm posting this is because I'm seeing several respones about the cruelty of fur farming that are inaccurate. And they are basing their opinions on false information.

That is all.

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Fur

I did a cursory search, but didn't find a thread on this. So if there's one, please feel free to move my post to the appropriate location. :)

I have a mink capelet that was my great-grandmother's. It's from the late 40s and is in mint condition. It also, oddly enough, fits. I say "oddly" because she was a 5'3" little wisp of a thing and I'm 5'10" and...well...not wispy.

Generally, I don't wear fur. Not to get too much into it, but it just doesn't feel right. However, fur was very common at the time. It would also be nice to enjoy something that my gran loved so much.

I guess my question is What would you do? And do you incorporate fur into your vintage look? I'm torn.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am waiting for the "fur" to fly
smack.gif
lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav